graham

Want to add 512mb memory to the 512 I already have.
Current system running PC2700
To future proof (a bit), was going to get 2x256 PC3200
But now I'm confused as I see there is PC4000 & PC4400!
Eventually I guess I'll go to AMD 64 CPU, but not for a year or so - any
recommendations for the spped to go for?
TIA

jad

Your motherboard will be the determiner of what memory you 'can'
use.

"Graham" <gts123@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Want to add 512mb memory to the 512 I already have.
> Current system running PC2700
> To future proof (a bit), was going to get 2x256 PC3200
> But now I'm confused as I see there is PC4000 & PC4400!
> Eventually I guess I'll go to AMD 64 CPU, but not for a year or so -
any
> recommendations for the spped to go for?
> TIA

graham

Current mobo 2700 - as I said, want to buy memory can be used later on
Nforce 2/3
"JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> Your motherboard will be the determiner of what memory you 'can'
> use.
>

> "Graham" <gts123@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > Want to add 512mb memory to the 512 I already have.
> > Current system running PC2700
> > To future proof (a bit), was going to get 2x256 PC3200
> > But now I'm confused as I see there is PC4000 & PC4400!
> > Eventually I guess I'll go to AMD 64 CPU, but not for a year or so -
> any
> > recommendations for the spped to go for?
> > TIA

jad

that's my point, you are only limited by what your 'current' board
will accept, if you are saying you want to use 'now' and then on a
newer board 'later'.

> Current mobo 2700 - as I said, want to buy memory can be used later
on
> Nforce 2/3
> "JAD" <jdemma25@eartink.net> wrote in message
> > Your motherboard will be the determiner of what memory you 'can'
> > use.
> >

> > "Graham" <gts123@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> > > Want to add 512mb memory to the 512 I already have.
> > > Current system running PC2700
> > > To future proof (a bit), was going to get 2x256 PC3200
> > > But now I'm confused as I see there is PC4000 & PC4400!
> > > Eventually I guess I'll go to AMD 64 CPU, but not for a year or
so -
> > any
> > > recommendations for the spped to go for?
> > > TIA

somebody

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 16:57:27 +0100, "Graham" <gts123@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>Want to add 512mb memory to the 512 I already have.
>Current system running PC2700
>To future proof (a bit), was going to get 2x256 PC3200
>But now I'm confused as I see there is PC4000 & PC4400!
>Eventually I guess I'll go to AMD 64 CPU, but not for a year or so - any
>recommendations for the spped to go for?
>TIA

No, I can't say which speed to get.
But you should get _as_few_ memory sticks as possible. I don't think
there's any modern chipset/memory controller that is perfectly happy
with more than two sticks of nonregistered ram.
I'd go for a single stick 512 PC3200 (or check price on PC3700). If
you're getting one of the cheaper A 64s, when it's time, DDR400 might
still be ok.

ancra

graham

Thanks. I think JAD missed my point about wanting to future-proof, and all I
really needed to know is if faster memory would run at a lower speed on my
existing system. In fact its worth having higher speed memory anyway should
you wish to overclock your FSB at all. In the end I puchased 512mb og Geil
PC3500 CAS 2.5 - it runs at CAS 2 fine with quite tight memory timings, and
the 3500 means I have some overclockability even on a DDR400 sytem.
I would love to have only 2 sticks of mem, but cannot justify ditching my
existing 2 x 256 to replace with 2 x 512. My understanding of the
disadvantage of using 2 slots versus 3/4 is the extra power drawn. So far as
stability goes the advice garnered from overclocking forums is to leave
memory slot 3 empty and put the extra stick in 4, which I have done and all
is stable.

Graham wrote:
> Thanks. I think JAD missed my point about wanting to future-proof, and all I
> really needed to know is if faster memory would run at a lower speed on my
> existing system.

I'm coming in late to this thread. Faster memory shouldn't have any
problem running at a lower clock speed. However, keep in mind that by
the time you're likely to upgrade again, the motherboards may be taking
different memory: DDR2 or something even more advanced. If it were
cheaper to buy faster, then go for the faster. If not, then buy to match
your motherboard chipset's max FSB.

> In fact its worth having higher speed memory anyway should
> you wish to overclock your FSB at all.

True.

> In the end I puchased 512mb og Geil
> PC3500 CAS 2.5 - it runs at CAS 2 fine with quite tight memory timings, and
> the 3500 means I have some overclockability even on a DDR400 sytem.

Ah, you already bought it. I should have finished reading the post
before commenting. Sounds like you're happy with the purchase, as you
should be.

> I would love to have only 2 sticks of mem, but cannot justify ditching my
> existing 2 x 256 to replace with 2 x 512. My understanding of the
> disadvantage of using 2 slots versus 3/4 is the extra power drawn. So far as
> stability goes the advice garnered from overclocking forums is to leave
> memory slot 3 empty and put the extra stick in 4, which I have done and all
> is stable.
> <somebody@some.domain> wrote in message
>
>>On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 16:57:27 +0100, "Graham" <gts123@ntlworld.com>
>>wrote:
>>

>>>Want to add 512mb memory to the 512 I already have.
>>>Current system running PC2700
>>>To future proof (a bit), was going to get 2x256 PC3200
>>>But now I'm confused as I see there is PC4000 & PC4400!
>>>Eventually I guess I'll go to AMD 64 CPU, but not for a year or so - any
>>>recommendations for the spped to go for?
>>>TIA
>>
>>No, I can't say which speed to get.
>>But you should get _as_few_ memory sticks as possible. I don't think
>>there's any modern chipset/memory controller that is perfectly happy
>>with more than two sticks of nonregistered ram.
>>I'd go for a single stick 512 PC3200 (or check price on PC3700). If
>>you're getting one of the cheaper A 64s, when it's time, DDR400 might
>>still be ok.
>>
>>ancra

graham

Thanks, your're right about DDR2 etc but at least I do have some headroom.
Incidentally, it seems that mem prices have been rising recently largely due
to manufacturers switching to DDR2 production, making the present DDR sticks
a bit scarcer...