Component Recommendations

Phil

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2001

I have decided to upgrade my existing PC, but need some recommendations on
motherboard and CPU. The existing unit uses an ASUS K7M motherboard and an
AMD Athlon 550mhz processor. The PC is used primarily for web surfing, web
page development, Microsoft Office, Quicken, etc. No games, but might be
doing some video editing later on. I would like for the upgrade to be good
for another three years. Cost is not a big concern. Since I may have a Zip
drive, CD burner, floppy, and DVD burner, case recommendations are welcomed.

Thank you for any recommendations.

- Phil

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

"Phil" <p.mentz@comcast.net> wrote in message
> I have decided to upgrade my existing PC, but need some recommendations on
> motherboard and CPU. The existing unit uses an ASUS K7M motherboard and
an
> AMD Athlon 550mhz processor. The PC is used primarily for web surfing,
web
> page development, Microsoft Office, Quicken, etc. No games, but might be
> doing some video editing later on. I would like for the upgrade to be
good
> for another three years. Cost is not a big concern. Since I may have a
Zip
> drive, CD burner, floppy, and DVD burner, case recommendations are
welcomed.

> Thank you for any recommendations.
>
> - Phil

OK, try a Intel P4 3.0 on an AOpen AX4C Max with 1Gig (2X512) of DDR400RAM.
When you start video editing, bump that up to another 1Gig (2X512) of DDR400
RAM, for total of 2Gigs. That should do you pretty good. Just about any
case should do. If the zip drive is 3.5, then you will want one with two
external floppy sized bays. Do yourself a favor and get a nice Seasonic
brand power supply for that case, though . . . somewhere around 400-450W
should do nicely. -Dave