Upper Memory

G

I have a very sad little P100 that Im looking at for a little old pensioner lady, It was 14% fragmented, hadent been scandisked since she paid $3300 for it in 1995, ,Wouldent let me do a defrag, so did a scandisk, found the offending clusters and fixed the problems, it then started to run like it must have back in 95, I uninstalled some games that her son had loaded on there, rebooted the sys, and when it boots up it tells me that Win95 does not have enough Upper Memory to run, its a Fat16 Win so its Win 95A, so I guess Im looking at a reinstall, and some Dickhead has passworded the CMOS, anybody have any ideas?

hollett

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
Remove the case and check on the system board for a jumper to reset the bios and/or password. If you can't find that then look for the CMOS battery (normally a small coin type CR2032). Remove the battery and leave it out for 20 Min while having a nice cup of coffee. replace the battery and the password sould be cleared.

Only the insane prosper.
Only those who prosper can judge what is sane.

G

Im more concerned about the upper memory, I guess i have to go into Autoexec.bat and Rem out some stuff, DEVICE= Himem.sys and the others load all right

Dantin1

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
Could he just download the latest Bios Flash for the computer and flash the bios? I noticed in my flash program you can strip password from there. Just a thought. As for the upper memory running under windows 95 goto dos mode and type in Makemem or something like that it should make the appropriate adjustments to Autoexec and Config.sys. When I was running Windows 95 I used the dos memory manager like that and it helped bunches. Probably would help if you make a bootable diskette with the makemem option in it. I think thats the name of the program. Should be located in Windows command area. Just look through there for a simular named program.

Dantin

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
The filename u'r looking for is memmaker.exe

Never ever run it from win95 dos prompt though, boot into dos first.

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"