No Play with Xmame for Linux

Hi all:

I have recently intalled xmame with all the dependencies that were
needed and have no luck in playing. Everything appears to have installed
fine, But then errors after loading,

ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.

This is the error i am getting. And it doesnt matter what i try to load.
So i head over to my XP partition and it works with no problem. I am new
to Xmame and linux. Am i missing a point or step in this procedure?

P.S I am running a Debian based distro

Thanks

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 16:14:53 -0400, AutoCocker wrote:

> ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.

Specify your rompath in ~/.xmame/xmamerc

The entry to modify is "rompath" found in the ### Fileio Related ###
section of xmamerc.

Alternatively, use the -rompath commandline option, as follows:

xmame.x11 -rompath /whatever/where-ever/mame/rompath pacman

A complete list of all commandline options can be obtained using

xmame.x11 -help

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* AutoCocker wrote in alt.games.mame:
> Hi all:

> I have recently intalled xmame with all the dependencies that were
> needed and have no luck in playing. Everything appears to have installed
> fine, But then errors after loading,

> ERROR: required files are missing, the game cannot be run.

> This is the error i am getting. And it doesnt matter what i try to load.
> So i head over to my XP partition and it works with no problem. I am new
> to Xmame and linux. Am i missing a point or step in this procedure?

> P.S I am running a Debian based distro

Are you using a frontend or just the commandline?
My guess is that your xmamerc is lacking the proper pointers to your
ROMs.

What are you putting at the commandline and what files are missing?

--
David
Justice always prevails ... three times out of seven!

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:56:47 -0400, AutoCocker wrote:

> Correct, Im trying the command line first, I tried to update the xmamerc
> to reflect the rom path, but i do not the have the access to change
> info on this account. Can i SU somehow while in the file manager to do
> this?

Create a directory called .xmame in your home directory, as follows

Open a terminal window.

Type these commands:

cd ~
mkdir ./xmame

Now copy your xmamerc file to that directory as follows:

cp xmamerc ~/.xmame

Now edit xmamerc as follows:

vi ./xmame/xmamerc

Save and you're all done.

Alternatively, you can specify the name of your roms directory on the
commandline as I told you in my previous response to your question. That
requires no changes to xmamerc at all.

innocent_lamb wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 17:56:47 -0400, AutoCocker wrote:
>

>>Correct, Im trying the command line first, I tried to update the xmamerc
>> to reflect the rom path, but i do not the have the access to change
>>info on this account. Can i SU somehow while in the file manager to do
>>this?
>

> Create a directory called .xmame in your home directory, as follows
>
> Open a terminal window.
>
> Type these commands:
>
> cd ~
> mkdir ./xmame
>
> Now copy your xmamerc file to that directory as follows:
>
> cp xmamerc ~/.xmame
>
> Now edit xmamerc as follows:
>
> vi ./xmame/xmamerc
>
> Save and you're all done.
>
> Alternatively, you can specify the name of your roms directory on the
> commandline as I told you in my previous response to your question. That
> requires no changes to xmamerc at all.

Thanks for the quick replys, it works great. One last thing, can you
reccomend a noob friendly front-end?

Agin, thanks

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:41:22 -0400, AutoCocker wrote:

> Thanks for the quick replys, it works great. One last thing, can you
> reccomend a noob friendly front-end?

I personally use gxmame on my desktop machines, and advancemenu on my
stand-up dedicated arcade machine.

sinner

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

* AutoCocker wrote in alt.games.mame:

[...]

> Thanks for the quick replys, it works great. One last thing, can you
> reccomend a noob friendly front-end?

If you want the look and feel of MAME32:

http://gxmame.sourceforge.net/

--
David
O tempo não existe. Sé existe o passar do tempo.

SINNER wrote:
> * AutoCocker wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
> [...]
>

>>Thanks for the quick replys, it works great. One last thing, can you
>>reccomend a noob friendly front-end?
>

> If you want the look and feel of MAME32:
>
> http://gxmame.sourceforge.net/

Is there a trick to getting games shown in the gxmame screen. I set
the paths did a audit and it found all the games, but will not show in
the list at all. Also i tried the rebuild gamelist but that screen go's
so fast i cant see what it says.

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 20:49:33 -0400, AutoCocker wrote:

>> http://gxmame.sourceforge.net/
>>
> Is there a trick to getting games shown in the gxmame screen. I set
> the paths did a audit and it found all the games, but will not show in the
> list at all. Also i tried the rebuild gamelist but that screen go's so
> fast i cant see what it says.

You're using an out-of-date version that doesn't support the current xmame.

Go here to download one that will actually work
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gxmame/

innocent_lamb wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 18:41:22 -0400, AutoCocker wrote:
>

>>Thanks for the quick replys, it works great. One last thing, can you
>>reccomend a noob friendly front-end?
>

> I personally use gxmame on my desktop machines, and advancemenu on my
> stand-up dedicated arcade machine.

Do you keep your cabs in the sheering shed?

--
Bustin' Naughty Folks since 1983

See my custom built upright and cocktail cabinets at:
http://home.columbus.rr.com/supermappy/

Come to chat in #tombstones on preacher.foreverchat.net:6660-6667,7000

MAME: Forever Young!