How can my program know that Windows gets connected?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.platformsdk.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

I am building a service for Windows XP SP 2 and similar, which have the
built-in Wireless connection manager. The service should start its work
every time the user gets a new Wireless connection (let us assume that
802.1x authentication is disabled for this connection). I could poll
the network status often enough to keep track of the connection, but
isn't it a ridiculous waist of the CPU? Is there some system
notification that I could receive whenever a connection is established?
5 answers Last reply
More about program windows connected
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.platformsdk.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    How you can detect connection , look at
    http://www.gershnik.com/faq/ma­nage.asp#internet ,
    http://www.ndis.com/faq/QA0105­0301/default.htm and
    http://www.ndis.com/faq/QA0504­0101.htm
    Arkady

    <alexcohn@netvision.net.il> wrote in message
    >I am building a service for Windows XP SP 2 and similar, which have the
    > built-in Wireless connection manager. The service should start its work
    > every time the user gets a new Wireless connection (let us assume that
    > 802.1x authentication is disabled for this connection). I could poll
    > the network status often enough to keep track of the connection, but
    > isn't it a ridiculous waist of the CPU? Is there some system
    > notification that I could receive whenever a connection is established?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.platformsdk.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    ðÏÖÁÌÕÊÓÔÁ

    > óÐÁÓÉÂÏ ÂÏÌØÛÏÅ

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.platformsdk.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    The links suggested don't appear to work any more and this semis to be and
    age old problem with windows CE. We have a similar situation where we need
    to get web page from server when device is turned on. But WiFi card is not
    connected and Wininet.dll thinks everything is copasetic till it tries to
    get the page. Have tried suggestion from Televideo (TeleCLIENT), witch is
    to look for driver then see if we have valid IP, but this tends to plow out
    the Wininet.dll when the system is still coming up. More then likely do to
    the fact you have to call IOCTL wall network is connection. Tried Microsoft
    suggestion with is to look for not connected, but only works for wired
    network connection. So has any one been able to salve this in a manner that
    do's not blow out any network stack parts or Wininet.dll?

    --
    Class Guy Winslow
    {

    "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
    > How you can detect connection , look at
    > http://www.gershnik.com/faq/ma­nage.asp#internet ,
    > http://www.ndis.com/faq/QA0105­0301/default.htm and
    > http://www.ndis.com/faq/QA0504­0101.htm
    > Arkady
    >
    > <alexcohn@netvision.net.il> wrote in message
    >>I am building a service for Windows XP SP 2 and similar, which have the
    >> built-in Wireless connection manager. The service should start its work
    >> every time the user gets a new Wireless connection (let us assume that
    >> 802.1x authentication is disabled for this connection). I could poll
    >> the network status often enough to keep track of the connection, but
    >> isn't it a ridiculous waist of the CPU? Is there some system
    >> notification that I could receive whenever a connection is established?

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web,microsoft.public.platformsdk.networking,microsoft.public.windows.networking.wireless (More info?)

    Guy Winslow wrote:
    > The links suggested don't appear to work any more

    The first link is mangled. Here is the correct version
    http://www.gershnik.com/faq/manage.asp#internet

    --
    Eugene
    http://www.gershnik.com

    Sorry , somehow '-' appeared inside the link , but it not appeared in the
    link.
    Arkady

    "Guy Winslow" <guywin@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The links suggested don't appear to work any more and this semis to be and
    > age old problem with windows CE. We have a similar situation where we
    > need to get web page from server when device is turned on. But WiFi card
    > is not connected and Wininet.dll thinks everything is copasetic till it
    > tries to get the page. Have tried suggestion from Televideo (TeleCLIENT),
    > witch is to look for driver then see if we have valid IP, but this tends
    > to plow out the Wininet.dll when the system is still coming up. More then
    > likely do to the fact you have to call IOCTL wall network is connection.
    > Tried Microsoft suggestion with is to look for not connected, but only
    > works for wired network connection. So has any one been able to salve
    > this in a manner that do's not blow out any network stack parts or
    > Wininet.dll?
    >

    > --
    > Class Guy Winslow
    > {
    > public:
    > WINcontrols
    > H: 925-606-1091
    > M: 925-922-0222
    > gdwinslow@wincontrols.com
    > };
    >
    > "Arkady Frenkel" <arkadyf@hotmailxdotx.com> wrote in message
    >> How you can detect connection , look at
    >> http://www.gershnik.com/faq/ma­nage.asp#internet ,
    >> http://www.ndis.com/faq/QA0105­0301/default.htm and
    >> http://www.ndis.com/faq/QA0504­0101.htm
    >> Arkady
    >>
    >> <alexcohn@netvision.net.il> wrote in message
    >>>I am building a service for Windows XP SP 2 and similar, which have the
    >>> built-in Wireless connection manager. The service should start its work
    >>> every time the user gets a new Wireless connection (let us assume that
    >>> 802.1x authentication is disabled for this connection). I could poll
    >>> the network status often enough to keep track of the connection, but
    >>> isn't it a ridiculous waist of the CPU? Is there some system
    >>> notification that I could receive whenever a connection is established?

Wireless Connection Networking Microsoft Wireless Networking