Backup Software suggestion needed

I have an external 120 GB USB 2.0 hard drive. I got it specifically to
back up my laptop which has a 60 gig hard drive.

I used DriveImage to create an image of the drive in case I ever need to
do a full restore to a new hard drive.

What I need now is a very simple backup program that simply copies
selected folders from the laptop to the external drive when I double-
click on an icon. It doesn't need to compress or encrypt anything.
Just a simple file copy.

I tried using a batch file with XCOPY, but XCOPY fails if a file happens
to be in use. And I don't get any kind of "progress indicator" to let
me know how many files have been copied and are left to be copied.

I've searched Download.com but everything I found was too complicated
with tons of features I flat don't need.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

--Dave
6 answers Last reply
More about backup software suggestion needed

    Dave Navarro said this...
    > Can anyone offer any suggestions?

    Karen's 'Replicator' may be worth a look.

    http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp

    --
    º~ dªv¡d ~º

    "Dave Navarro" <dave@dave.dave> wrote in message
    > I have an external 120 GB USB 2.0 hard drive. I got it specifically to
    > back up my laptop which has a 60 gig hard drive.
    >
    > I used DriveImage to create an image of the drive in case I ever need to
    > do a full restore to a new hard drive.
    >
    > What I need now is a very simple backup program that simply copies
    > selected folders from the laptop to the external drive when I double-
    > click on an icon. It doesn't need to compress or encrypt anything.
    > Just a simple file copy.
    >
    > I tried using a batch file with XCOPY, but XCOPY fails if a file happens
    > to be in use. And I don't get any kind of "progress indicator" to let
    > me know how many files have been copied and are left to be copied.
    >
    > I've searched Download.com but everything I found was too complicated
    > with tons of features I flat don't need.
    >
    > Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    >
    > --Dave

    How bout XXCOPY?

    http://www.xxcopy.com/

    Hi,

    Up until November I was a devoted user of Onstream, who produced a USB
    tape drive that did a good job of backing up data with a couple of clicks on
    their software. Unfortunately they went out of business, (for the second
    time in three years). I dropped off using the drive because their software
    became problematic when using WinXP and them not being around anymore.
    I had been very reluctant to go to a second hard drive back up, simply
    because of the virus situation, where a virus could infect all hard drives
    and wipe out the information.
    However, when Maxtor came out with their 'One Touch' USB drives that came
    bundled with Dantz Retrospect I thought that might be a good compromise to
    my trepidation. So I went to Newegg and got one. I've been using it now for
    about six weeks and couldn't be happier. I like the USB hdd drive because
    it's easily removeable, although one can accomplish the same thing with a
    rack mount hdd.
    Now having used Retrospect I can easily recommend it. Literally, with one
    or two clicks one can back up all changed files on their computer to another
    drive and go on with their business. Just to give you an idea of what I'm
    talking about, it took about 24 minutes the first time to back up the 22 gb
    hdd to the USB drive using a USB2 connection. The particular drive I'm using
    is 160 gb USB/firewire combination. It came only with Apple software, but I
    called Maxtor and they gave me a download website to get the PC version of
    the software. I reformatted the drive from the Apple format to NTFS and
    there were no problems along the way.

    --
    Jan Alter
    bearpuf@verizon.net
    "Groove" <grooove@FRAGmyrealbox.com> wrote in message
    > Dave Navarro said this...
    > > Can anyone offer any suggestions?
    > >

    > Karen's 'Replicator' may be worth a look.
    >
    > http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptreplicator.asp
    >

    > --
    > º~ dªv¡d ~º

    "Dave Navarro" <dave@dave.dave> wrote...

    > What I need now is a very simple backup program that simply copies
    > selected folders from the laptop to the external drive when I double-
    > click on an icon. It doesn't need to compress or encrypt anything.
    > Just a simple file copy.

    LapLink can do that, but it may be overkill or too expensive...

    I'd like to "second" this comment about Maxtor USB drive and
    Retrospect. I also got mine from Newegg and only turn in on for a few
    minutes a day for a very fast backup. I have used the file restore a
    couple of times to get back files I deleted in error and works just
    fine.

    Harry

    (snip)

    In article <pOBcc.83036$w54.480604@attbi_s01>, jrweiss98155
    @.comNOSPAMcast.net says...
    > "Dave Navarro" <dave@dave.dave> wrote...
    > >
    > > What I need now is a very simple backup program that simply copies
    > > selected folders from the laptop to the external drive when I double-
    > > click on an icon. It doesn't need to compress or encrypt anything.
    > > Just a simple file copy.
    >
    > LapLink can do that, but it may be overkill or too expensive...

    I used to use Laplink before the easy availablity of USB external drives
    and Dantz software. It was always losing its place and the USB was not
    being recognized.

    They also used to use proprietary USB cables which were expensive - I
    don't know if they still do, but I'll never look back to find out :-)

    You might also look at Stomp Backup My PC. I believe they have an
    option for no compression and I know they have an option to leave
    archive flags alone.

    Being perhaps somewhat paranoid, I now backup daily to an external USB
    using Dantz. Then every few weeks I burn a full backup to DVDRs using
    Stomp, and I leave those in another location.

    Louise

Homebuilt Backup Hard Drives Systems