Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows 2000 or XP mame can you configure to pull the plug?

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 22, 2005 11:21:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

I would like to configure either windows 2000 or windows xp to run
mame. The thing is I can get it to run mame but I would like to make
the machine operate like DOS mame where I can just pull the plug out
and not have to worry about it. Like you can do in dos. I have heard of
people mentioned the swapfile and other things. Has anyone done this
and if so please send me a e-mail how. Remember I just want to be able
to turn it off and on like a regular arcade just like you can do in DOS
using arcadeos.

Thanks a TON!

Mike
August 22, 2005 6:41:23 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

coinoparcade wrote:
> I would like to configure either windows 2000 or windows xp to run
> mame. The thing is I can get it to run mame but I would like to make
> the machine operate like DOS mame where I can just pull the plug out
> and not have to worry about it. Like you can do in dos. I have heard of
> people mentioned the swapfile and other things. Has anyone done this
> and if so please send me a e-mail how. Remember I just want to be able
> to turn it off and on like a regular arcade just like you can do in DOS
> using arcadeos.
>
> Thanks a TON!
>
> Mike
>

Im not a specialist by any stretch of the imagination, but I think that
what you want to do, cannot be done, not with XP or 2000 anyway. I am
no advocate, but you might want to stick to DOS MAME, which was recently
brought up to 0.99. It would be the most 'authentic' way of going
straight into a game. You could either have it in AUTOEXEC.BAT as
either the command line and game peramiters, or with a front end.

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making
www.pleasure-dome.org.uk
August 23, 2005 2:15:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

* MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:

> coinoparcade wrote:
>> I would like to configure either windows 2000 or windows xp to
>> run mame. The thing is I can get it to run mame but I would like
>> to make the machine operate like DOS mame where I can just pull
>> the plug out and not have to worry about it. Like you can do in
>> dos. I have heard of people mentioned the swapfile and other
>> things. Has anyone done this and if so please send me a e-mail
>> how. Remember I just want to be able to turn it off and on like a
>> regular arcade just like you can do in DOS using arcadeos.
>>
>
> Im not a specialist by any stretch of the imagination, but I think
> that what you want to do, cannot be done, not with XP or 2000
> anyway. I am no advocate, but you might want to stick to DOS
> MAME, which was recently brought up to 0.99. It would be the most
> 'authentic' way of going straight into a game. You could either
> have it in AUTOEXEC.BAT as either the command line and game
> peramiters, or with a front end.
>

If he is running NTFS it is safer than running a non journaling
filing system but unplugging is STILL not recommended for MS based
OS's.


--
David
Related resources
August 23, 2005 2:22:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

SINNER wrote:
> * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:
>
>
>>coinoparcade wrote:
>>
>>>I would like to configure either windows 2000 or windows xp to
>>>run mame. The thing is I can get it to run mame but I would like
>>>to make the machine operate like DOS mame where I can just pull
>>>the plug out and not have to worry about it. Like you can do in
>>>dos. I have heard of people mentioned the swapfile and other
>>>things. Has anyone done this and if so please send me a e-mail
>>>how. Remember I just want to be able to turn it off and on like a
>>>regular arcade just like you can do in DOS using arcadeos.
>>>
>>
>>Im not a specialist by any stretch of the imagination, but I think
>>that what you want to do, cannot be done, not with XP or 2000
>>anyway. I am no advocate, but you might want to stick to DOS
>>MAME, which was recently brought up to 0.99. It would be the most
>>'authentic' way of going straight into a game. You could either
>>have it in AUTOEXEC.BAT as either the command line and game
>>peramiters, or with a front end.
>>
>
>
> If he is running NTFS it is safer than running a non journaling
> filing system but unplugging is STILL not recommended for MS based
> OS's.
>
>

Dont you get all technical with me! Mr....Mr....Mr Linux! ;-)

--
MCR
MAME(tm) - History In The Making
www.pleasure-dome.org.uk
August 23, 2005 4:20:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

* El Rossi wrote in alt.games.mame:
> MCR <mark.coleman10@ntlworld.com> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled meyhem
> news:JesOe.1$WO5.0@newsfe7-win.ntli.net:

>> SINNER wrote:
>>> * MCR Wrote in alt.games.mame:


>>>>coinoparcade wrote:

>>>>>I would like to configure either windows 2000 or windows xp to
>>>>>run mame. The thing is I can get it to run mame but I would like
>>>>>to make the machine operate like DOS mame where I can just pull
>>>>>the plug out and not have to worry about it. Like you can do in
>>>>>dos. I have heard of people mentioned the swapfile and other
>>>>>things. Has anyone done this and if so please send me a e-mail
>>>>>how. Remember I just want to be able to turn it off and on like a
>>>>>regular arcade just like you can do in DOS using arcadeos.


>>>>Im not a specialist by any stretch of the imagination, but I think
>>>>that what you want to do, cannot be done, not with XP or 2000
>>>>anyway. I am no advocate, but you might want to stick to DOS
>>>>MAME, which was recently brought up to 0.99. It would be the most
>>>>'authentic' way of going straight into a game. You could either
>>>>have it in AUTOEXEC.BAT as either the command line and game
>>>>peramiters, or with a front end.

>>> If he is running NTFS it is safer than running a non journaling
>>> filing system but unplugging is STILL not recommended for MS based
>>> OS's.

>> Dont you get all technical with me! Mr....Mr....Mr Linux! ;-)


> Could have fooled me though... under non Server NT systems, unless the
> disk is actually under use, then your pretty safe

BUT, qualifying your statement with 'unless the disk is under use' is
enough to be worried about.

In any event, for this particular application he probably has little to
worry about as MAME runs in RAM anyway so even under a 9x setup with
MAME32 or otherwise setup as the shell, unplugging couldnt damage much.

Tivo runs a Linux based OS and has no power button on the unit.
Try that on an on all the time always moving non raid MS Server ;) 

[...]
--
David
No garden, one dragon.
-- palíndromo
August 23, 2005 1:36:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

The safe option is to purchase a cheap UPS (£40 from dabs.com) and
configure Windows to do an immediate shutdown upon mains failure. The
system will close down in an orderly manner on mains failure, and no
risk of HDD corruption. An added benefit is that you get mains spike
protection too.

Troy.
August 23, 2005 4:04:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

On 22 Aug 2005 07:21:19 -0700, "coinoparcade" <coinop@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I would like to configure either windows 2000 or windows xp to run
>mame. The thing is I can get it to run mame but I would like to make
>the machine operate like DOS mame where I can just pull the plug out
>and not have to worry about it. Like you can do in dos. I have heard of
>people mentioned the swapfile and other things. Has anyone done this
>and if so please send me a e-mail how. Remember I just want to be able
>to turn it off and on like a regular arcade just like you can do in DOS
>using arcadeos.
>
>Thanks a TON!
>
>Mike


Let's see... With Win2K and WinXP you have a few options, but I think
the following should meet your needs pretty well. (assuming that you
are willing to exit out of MAME and let the machine automatically
shutdown...)

Note: Some of the following paths may need to be slightly changed to
reflect where your MAME is installed... My example uses C:\MAME as
the home directory for MAME.

1. In C:\MAME, create a file called MAMELAUNCH.BAT that contains the
following:

@echo off
c:
cd\mame
echo/
echo Launching MAME
start /W mame32.exe
echo/
echo Shutting down Windows
start mamedown.vbs
exit


2. In C:\MAME, create a file called MAMEDOWN.VBS that contains the
following:

Set oArgs = WScript.Arguments
ShutDown ".", "Reboot_Force"
Sub ShutDown(sNode, sAction)

On Error Resume Next
Set oWMI = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate,(Shutdown)}!\\" _
& sNode & "\root\cimv2")

Set colOperatingSystems = oWMI.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem")
For Each obj in colOperatingSystems
Set oOS = obj : Exit For
Next
If Err.Number <> 0 Then
Exit Sub
End If

sAction = LCase(sAction)
oOS.Win32shutdown 8
End Sub

' Possible values for oOS.Win32shutdown:
' 0 Log Off
' 0 + 4 Forced Log Off
' 1 Shutdown
' 1 + 4 Forced Shutdown
' 2 Reboot
' 2 + 4 Forced Reboot
' 8 Power Off
' 8 + 4 Forced Power Off


3. Add a shortcut in your Windows Startup folder pointing to
C:\MAME\MAMELAUNCH.BAT.



When you boot your machine, the following will happen:

1. Windows will load
2. The startup link will launch MAMELAUNCH.BAT
3. A Command prompt will open
4. A "Launching Mame" message will appear in that window
5. MAME32 will launch (with a wait until MAME terminates)

Play whatever games you want, but don't close MAME32 until you're done
with it.

6a. If you want the machine to shutdown, just close out of MAME32
6b. If you want to stay in Windows, switch to the command prompt
window and click the X in the top right corner to close it.

7. Assuming you wanted the shutdown, a VBS file will be called that
will properly shutdown windows, and in a perfect world, power off the
computer.


The only thing that you *might* have to play with is the
"oOS.Win32shutdown 8" part of the VBS file. I set it to "8" which
should just be a simple poweroff sequence, but you might have to
change it to "8 + 4" for force the sequence to allow a shutdown. If
your computer can't handle a power off, try "1" or "1 + 4" as a
fallback.

Let me know if this is what you had in mind...

--
Cordata
http://abem.mametitles.com - alt.binaries.emulators.mame FAQ
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 10:41:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

On 22 Aug 2005 07:21:19 -0700, "coinoparcade" <coinop@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I would like to configure either windows 2000 or windows xp to run
>mame. The thing is I can get it to run mame but I would like to make
>the machine operate like DOS mame where I can just pull the plug out
>and not have to worry about it. Like you can do in dos. I have heard of
>people mentioned the swapfile and other things. Has anyone done this
>and if so please send me a e-mail how. Remember I just want to be able
>to turn it off and on like a regular arcade just like you can do in DOS
>using arcadeos.
>
>Thanks a TON!
>
>Mike

Is there a reason you need to immediately pull the plug?
The reason I ask is that the way my machine is set up, if you don't
touch it for an hour it shuts down. REALLY shuts down... I have the PC
on a SmartStrip and when it does it's thing it shuts the marquee light
of and everything. Should be a BIOS option on most new motherboards
(the one I'm using is a cheapie Foxxcon).

Tim
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 12:06:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.mame (More info?)

.... after inserting a credit, coinoparcade <coinop@comcast.net> leaned
forward and saw...
>I would like to configure either windows 2000 or windows xp to run
>mame. The thing is I can get it to run mame but I would like to make
>the machine operate like DOS mame where I can just pull the plug out
>and not have to worry about it.

I'd not advise yanking the plug out, but there is a "hibernate" option
in both of those two OSen. It is therefore possible (on an ATX system)
to hit the power button mid-use, hitting it at a later date to power
back into the OS.

It's safer than just yanking the plug, and faster than a
shutdown/startup. I do it on my works lappy.
--
"Obsessions in your eyes, the peril of my life.
Where others fall you came back again, with no grace in mind."
!