WIDOWS 7 SLEEP MODE

Solution
By freak out do you mean the hard drive blinks like mad and the screen sits blank for a bit?

By default there is an option called hybrid sleep. This is a combine of S3 and S4, the system places all memory on the hard drive but instead of powering off after enters normal sleep. When you wake the system it wakes from memory fast. If the power goes out, the system will then be able to resume from Hibernation.

While this is a fool proof method since even in a power out it can wake up after, it takes much longer on systems with more memory, You can try to disable hybrid sleep in the power settings.

in start search type power. Under control panel there should be on called power options. Once in a window, click Change plan settings. On the...
It has to do with the suspend settings in the bios.
What is happening is windows 7 is trying to put the computer into sleep/suspend mode, but it has not been set up to do it in the motherboard bios settings.

Anyway here are the explinations of the S1 to S4 bios settings.

S1 (Sleep). The CPU is stopped; The RAM is regenerated; the system functions in reduced power.

S2 (Sleep 2) The CPU does not have any power; The RAM is regenerated; the system is in lower mode of the S1.

S3 (Standby) The CPU does not have any power; The RAM regenerates at minimum; the power supply unit is in mode of reduced power. This mode is also called “Save to RAM”.

S4 (Hibernate). All is powered off, but the memory was saved like temporary file on the hard drive. This mode is called “Save to disk”.

S5 (Off) Everything is shutdown. Means you need a full reboot

Ps: I use S3.

By freak out do you mean the hard drive blinks like mad and the screen sits blank for a bit?

By default there is an option called hybrid sleep. This is a combine of S3 and S4, the system places all memory on the hard drive but instead of powering off after enters normal sleep. When you wake the system it wakes from memory fast. If the power goes out, the system will then be able to resume from Hibernation.

While this is a fool proof method since even in a power out it can wake up after, it takes much longer on systems with more memory, You can try to disable hybrid sleep in the power settings.

in start search type power. Under control panel there should be on called power options. Once in a window, click Change plan settings. On the next screen select Change advanced power settings.

In this section you can change sleep(such as checking if hybrid sleep is on or not) settings or even disable it all together.

Hope this helps.

Solution

dacordes

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
This is my old PC and I updated it to windows 7. Everything seems to be OK but when it went to sleep the monitor would not work. I had to remove graphics card and plug in to other VGA. After reboot it said I made changes to the memory and it wanted to restore. I disabled sleep mode after I tried it 2 more times to see what would happen. The same thing happened (had to remove card and do process over). I disabled it but my only problem is my girls will be using it. I will try to get the bios up but haven't been able to. I click delete when it's booting but I always get a different menu. sr1834nx with upgrades
I have sleep disabled for now but if I could get it fixed in the bios that would be a better. My girls are in early 20's and they get in hurry with everything. I'm just afraid they might hit the sleep button in the drop down shutdown menu. I should be more worried about them burning down the house with their hair straightener iron :)

If its a compaq, try F10.

I doubt there will be much in there for you.

Check the hp website and see if there is an updated video driver. My 8800GTX used to give a blank screen if I booted windows without the screen on. If i did, I had to unplug the screen and replug for it to detect.

Maybe it is something similar.