Hi folks, I have a Linksys bfsr41 router connected to a cable modem and an
LNE100tx pci network card.How do I get the card to run at 100Mbs instead of
the default 10Mbs.I have tried specifying 100Mbs via the control
panel/network connections route but when I switch to 100Mbs the damn thing
dissapears!
All components are supposedly capable of running at 100Mbs.

ed

The Cable Modem does NOT run at 100Mbps.

--
DaveW

"fill and thropist" <willspokeshave@stratford.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks, I have a Linksys bfsr41 router connected to a cable modem and an
> LNE100tx pci network card.How do I get the card to run at 100Mbs instead
of
> the default 10Mbs.I have tried specifying 100Mbs via the control
> panel/network connections route but when I switch to 100Mbs the damn thing
> dissapears!
> All components are supposedly capable of running at 100Mbs.
>
> ed

"fill and thropist" <willspokeshave@stratford.com> wrote in message
> Hi folks, I have a Linksys bfsr41 router connected to a cable modem and an
> LNE100tx pci network card.How do I get the card to run at 100Mbs instead
of
> the default 10Mbs.I have tried specifying 100Mbs via the control
> panel/network connections route but when I switch to 100Mbs the damn thing
> dissapears!
> All components are supposedly capable of running at 100Mbs.
>
> ed

And none of them will...no matter if 100Mbps is displayed nothing will push
that much data. Your internet connection will never come close to
10/100mbps.

Richard Dower wrote:
> "fill and thropist" <willspokeshave@stratford.com> wrote in message
>
>>Hi folks, I have a Linksys bfsr41 router connected to a cable modem and an
>>LNE100tx pci network card.How do I get the card to run at 100Mbs instead
>
> of
>
>>the default 10Mbs.I have tried specifying 100Mbs via the control
>>panel/network connections route but when I switch to 100Mbs the damn thing
>>dissapears!
>>All components are supposedly capable of running at 100Mbs.
>>
>>ed
>

> And none of them will...no matter if 100Mbps is displayed nothing will push
> that much data. Your internet connection will never come close to
> 10/100mbps.

All of my 10/100 NICs are hooked to 10/100 Mb router/switches, and I'm
just plain thrilled to get 384Kilo bits/second out of Bright House!
They have switched to fiber optics most of the way, (Orlando, Tampa) and
opened up the bandwidth a bit. Yes, that is BOTH WAYS, up and down -loads!

So come and get your Knoppix, Stux, freeduc, and other, fast LiveCDrom
ISOs on Limewire, because, I am serving off of two Cheetah 10,000 rpm
drives!!! search words 'Linux'

Now, on internal network data transfers, the speed MIGHT go up a bit,
but, most hard drives on the IDE buss in your computers are limited to
about 12Mb per second (on a GOOD day!). Those SCSI Cheetah 10,000 rpm
drives have a theoretical limit of 160 Mb/s. As installed it might hit
20 to 40 Mb/s, but, I doubt it.

Yeah, Serial ATA drives purport to go about 180Mb/s, but, I think I will
stick to SCSI for the multi read/writes they can do...

> The Cable Modem does NOT run at 100Mbps.

Actually they can but are dramatically throttled back by the providers.

--
callsignviper

The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and ask
the right questions.

"callsignviper" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in

> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>> The Cable Modem does NOT run at 100Mbps.
>>

> Actually they can but are dramatically throttled back by the
> providers.
>

> --
> callsignviper
>

> The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and
> ask the right questions.

Whoops!Perhaps I misstated the case.
Cable modem is 600kbs,connected to a router.
My duaghter has recently updated to an MSI kt6 M0board and the onboard
e/net runs at 100Mbs (according to the 100Mbs light on the router). I
was asking WHY,if my e/net card supposedly supports 100Mbs why does it
not run at that speed.

ed.

On 09 Apr 2004 01:04:21 GMT, fill and thropist
<willspokeshave@stratford.com> wrote:

>"callsignviper" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in
>

>> "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
>>> The Cable Modem does NOT run at 100Mbps.
>>>

>> Actually they can but are dramatically throttled back by the
>> providers.
>>

>> --
>> callsignviper
>>

>> The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and
>> ask the right questions.
>>

>Whoops!Perhaps I misstated the case.
>Cable modem is 600kbs,connected to a router.
>My duaghter has recently updated to an MSI kt6 M0board and the onboard
>e/net runs at 100Mbs (according to the 100Mbs light on the router). I
>was asking WHY,if my e/net card supposedly supports 100Mbs why does it
>not run at that speed.
>
>ed.

What, the internet? it is only 600K (I get about the same, my router
sees the DSL modem as a 10BT connection).

Although I tried, I think I got 5 meg a second transferring between my
laptop and desktop, both with 10/100 cards (albeit both with older
HDDs, the laptop being a P133 system). I'd like to try the olde P1
desktop systems, which have only old 10BT ISA nics in them.

In article <Xns94C61511F28C5ermhohumcom@66.250.146.158>,
willspokeshave@stratford.com says...
> "callsignviper" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in
>

> > "DaveW" <none@zero.org> wrote in message
> >> The Cable Modem does NOT run at 100Mbps.
> >>

> > Actually they can but are dramatically throttled back by the
> > providers.
> >

> > --
> > callsignviper
> >

> > The truth is out there. You just have to look in the right places and
> > ask the right questions.
> >

> Whoops!Perhaps I misstated the case.
> Cable modem is 600kbs,connected to a router.
> My duaghter has recently updated to an MSI kt6 M0board and the onboard
> e/net runs at 100Mbs (according to the 100Mbs light on the router). I
> was asking WHY,if my e/net card supposedly supports 100Mbs why does it
> not run at that speed.

Assuming that you've plugged the onboard ethernet
directly to the cable modem, then it's because the
ethernet port in the cable modem is a 10Mbps port.
(Very common for DSL/cable modems because it's more then
enough speed, and 10Mbps port silicon is cheaper then
100Mbps silicon.)

(Both sides of the cable have to agree on the speed.)

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 22:34:35 GMT, Patrick <pberry26@yahoo.com> wrote:

>All of my 10/100 NICs are hooked to 10/100 Mb router/switches, and I'm
>just plain thrilled to get 384Kilo bits/second out of Bright House!
>They have switched to fiber optics most of the way, (Orlando, Tampa) and
>opened up the bandwidth a bit. Yes, that is BOTH WAYS, up and down -loads!
>
>So come and get your Knoppix, Stux, freeduc, and other, fast LiveCDrom
>ISOs on Limewire, because, I am serving off of two Cheetah 10,000 rpm
>drives!!! search words 'Linux'
>
>Now, on internal network data transfers, the speed MIGHT go up a bit,
>but, most hard drives on the IDE buss in your computers are limited to
>about 12Mb per second (on a GOOD day!). Those SCSI Cheetah 10,000 rpm
>drives have a theoretical limit of 160 Mb/s. As installed it might hit
>20 to 40 Mb/s, but, I doubt it.
>
>Yeah, Serial ATA drives purport to go about 180Mb/s, but, I think I will
>stick to SCSI for the multi read/writes they can do...

Yeah, if you're serving, depending on the traffic, I'd stick with the SCSIs and their
I/O queing<sp?>. I've got a handfull of 10k's; Cheetahs, Fujitsu, and uh.... WD.
For the OS drive and a few other prog drives I run 15k's. I find they're a lot quieter
than the 10k's but run hotter. I've benched the 10k's before but don't remember
the specific numbers that came up. Depending on the model, you might hit 60MB/s
or close to it from a single drive which is 480Mb/s. But you're still only pushing
3/8 of a MB/s down the wire.
What's Bright House, DSL? Go with the cable. My Cox gets 29xxMb/s DL after
TCP/IP tweaking. I can get some files on Limewire at a steady 1200Mb/s depending,
of course, on the source. I've pulled Knoppix ISO's from some university in FL at 350Kb/s
but then I've FTP'd it from England and Germany at that.
Still looking for the new Knoppix that'll write to NTFS drives....
~~~~~~
Bait for spammers:
root@localhost
postmaster@localhost
admin@localhost
abuse@localhost
postmaster@[127.0.0.1]
uce@ftc.gov
~~~~~~
Remove "spamless" to email me.

overlord

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2001

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 00:08:55 GMT, kurt_SPAMLESS@hotmail.com (Overlord) wrote:

>On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 22:34:35 GMT, Patrick <pberry26@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>All of my 10/100 NICs are hooked to 10/100 Mb router/switches, and I'm
>>just plain thrilled to get 384Kilo bits/second out of Bright House!
>>They have switched to fiber optics most of the way, (Orlando, Tampa) and
>>opened up the bandwidth a bit. Yes, that is BOTH WAYS, up and down -loads!
>>
>>So come and get your Knoppix, Stux, freeduc, and other, fast LiveCDrom
>>ISOs on Limewire, because, I am serving off of two Cheetah 10,000 rpm
>>drives!!! search words 'Linux'
>>
>>Now, on internal network data transfers, the speed MIGHT go up a bit,
>>but, most hard drives on the IDE buss in your computers are limited to
>>about 12Mb per second (on a GOOD day!). Those SCSI Cheetah 10,000 rpm
>>drives have a theoretical limit of 160 Mb/s. As installed it might hit
>>20 to 40 Mb/s, but, I doubt it.
>>
>>Yeah, Serial ATA drives purport to go about 180Mb/s, but, I think I will
>>stick to SCSI for the multi read/writes they can do...
>
>Yeah, if you're serving, depending on the traffic, I'd stick with the SCSIs and their
>I/O queing<sp?>. I've got a handfull of 10k's; Cheetahs, Fujitsu, and uh.... WD.
>For the OS drive and a few other prog drives I run 15k's. I find they're a lot quieter
>than the 10k's but run hotter. I've benched the 10k's before but don't remember
>the specific numbers that came up. Depending on the model, you might hit 60MB/s
>or close to it from a single drive which is 480Mb/s. But you're still only pushing
>3/8 of a MB/s down the wire.
>What's Bright House, DSL? Go with the cable. My Cox gets 29xxMb/s DL after

Oop, should be 29xxKb/s or 2.9xxMb/s

>TCP/IP tweaking. I can get some files on Limewire at a steady 1200Mb/s depending,

and should be 1.2Mb/s or 1200Kb/s

Overlord wrote:

> of course, on the source. I've pulled Knoppix ISO's from some university
in
> FL at 350Kb/s but then I've FTP'd it from England and Germany at that.
> Still looking for the new Knoppix that'll write to NTFS drives....

Answer me this, Knoppix man..............I just burned my copy of Knoppix
this morning. When I tried to access everything, it demanded a password for
root access.

Reckon what that might be?

I'm a dedicated Winders® man, but I can be persuaded if the colors are
bright enough and the lights twinkle.

Email address is valid for private reply.

TFM®