Master/Slave positions on IDE cable

Howdy, I come before you, the guru's of computer knowledge, with a
perplexing (to me) problem. I offer up a young virgin for sacrifice
to appease you gods for your knowledge and time. Wellllll, she ain't
really a virgin and if you get right down to it she ain't that young
either........but it's all I got to offer!! <smile>

For about the last ten years or so I have been under the impression
that the master unit was located on the end of the IDE cable and the
slave was located on the connection that is partway down the cable,
right?

I just bought a Lite-On burner and while I was installing it I peeked
at the instructions <grin> and they are telling me just the opposite!
The slave goes on the end of the cable and the master is on the midway
connection.

I went ahead and hooked it up the way I have always been doing (of
course!) and it seems to work alright. But I was wondering if I am
taking a performance hit or doing harm to my new unit by hooking it up
contrary to what the diagram shows?

Thanks for any info
--
The Seabat

As long as it's working fine, with no performance issues on both Drive and
CD Rom, then I don't think I would really worry about it, some motherboards
will not recognise a master/slave drive if the slave is placed at the end
connector, I have an Asus P4C800 Deluxe board, and that chappie is no way
happy if I place the slave at the end connector, bios will not recognise
either master or slave.

As a rule of thumb now, I always put slave on middle connector, and master
at end, never had any problems with any board, doing it that way.!!

--

Snøøp¥

Cut ¬THE CR@P¬ To Reply

Checked by McAfee anti-virus system www.mcafee.com
Version: 7.03.6000 Scan Engine 4.3.20
Virus Database: 4348 - Release Date: 06/04/2004.

Seabat wrote:

> Howdy, I come before you, the guru's of computer knowledge, with a
> perplexing (to me) problem. I offer up a young virgin for sacrifice
> to appease you gods for your knowledge and time. Wellllll, she ain't
> really a virgin and if you get right down to it she ain't that young
> either........but it's all I got to offer!! <smile>
>
> For about the last ten years or so I have been under the impression
> that the master unit was located on the end of the IDE cable and the
> slave was located on the connection that is partway down the cable,
> right?
>
> I just bought a Lite-On burner and while I was installing it I peeked
> at the instructions <grin> and they are telling me just the opposite!
> The slave goes on the end of the cable and the master is on the midway
> connection.
>
> I went ahead and hooked it up the way I have always been doing (of
> course!) and it seems to work alright. But I was wondering if I am
> taking a performance hit or doing harm to my new unit by hooking it up
> contrary to what the diagram shows?
>
> Thanks for any info
> --
> The Seabat

It doesn't matter as long as you have the jumpers on the drives set the
way you want them.

BP

"Sal Monella" <salmonella@idontwantanyemailanyway.moc> wrote in message
> Seabat wrote:
> >
> > Howdy, I come before you, the guru's of computer knowledge, with a
> > perplexing (to me) problem. I offer up a young virgin for sacrifice
> > to appease you gods for your knowledge and time. Wellllll, she ain't
> > really a virgin and if you get right down to it she ain't that young
> > either........but it's all I got to offer!! <smile>
> >
> > For about the last ten years or so I have been under the impression
> > that the master unit was located on the end of the IDE cable and the
> > slave was located on the connection that is partway down the cable,
> > right?
> >
> > I just bought a Lite-On burner and while I was installing it I peeked
> > at the instructions <grin> and they are telling me just the opposite!
> > The slave goes on the end of the cable and the master is on the midway
> > connection.
> >
> > I went ahead and hooked it up the way I have always been doing (of
> > course!) and it seems to work alright. But I was wondering if I am
> > taking a performance hit or doing harm to my new unit by hooking it up
> > contrary to what the diagram shows?
> >
> > Thanks for any info
> > --
> > The Seabat
>
> It doesn't matter as long as you have the jumpers on the drives set the
> way you want them.

Hey Sal- I seem to recall that it doesn't matter if you're using a 40 pin -
80 wire cable (and the jumpers are set correctly) and it does if you are
using a 40 pin - 40 wire cable. Correct?

Seabat wrote:
>> For about the last ten years or so I have been under the impression
> that the master unit was located on the end of the IDE cable and the
> slave was located on the connection that is partway down the cable,
> right?

|MB|==============|S|=====|M|

MB motherboard
S Slave
M Master

Drives to be jumpered according to their position on the cable.

> I just bought a Lite-On burner and while I was installing it I peeked
> at the instructions <grin> and they are telling me just the opposite!
> The slave goes on the end of the cable and the master is on the midway
> connection.

Something was lost in translation me thinks.

Windows XP and perhaps Win2K Pro will default to a lower transfer mode as
detailed here:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/ide-dma.mspx

I've found jumpering drives as you have been doing often prevents the
"downshifting" to PIO or Multi-word DMA mode2. The Intel 810E/815/E and the
VIA Apollo Pro+ chipsets do this with great consistency. The KT133 and later
K7 chipsets never have produced this behavior under WinXP, to my knowledge.

Look at what information your BIOS gives you about what it detected. You
should be able to tell which drive is the Master.

BP wrote:

> "Sal Monella" <salmonella@idontwantanyemailanyway.moc> wrote in message
-snip-

> > It doesn't matter as long as you have the jumpers on the drives set the
> > way you want them.
>
> Hey Sal- I seem to recall that it doesn't matter if you're using a 40 pin -
> 80 wire cable (and the jumpers are set correctly) and it does if you are
> using a 40 pin - 40 wire cable. Correct?

It still shouldn't matter. The only problem I've ever seen is when a
single IDE device is connected to the middle with the end left loose.
And that's probably hit or miss.

I don't any thing to add but wanted to stay in the running for the
non-virgin virgin.

Jim

"Sal Monella" <salmonella@idontwantanyemailanyway.moc> wrote in message
> Seabat wrote:
> >
> > Howdy, I come before you, the guru's of computer knowledge, with a
> > perplexing (to me) problem. I offer up a young virgin for sacrifice
> > to appease you gods for your knowledge and time. Wellllll, she ain't
> > really a virgin and if you get right down to it she ain't that young
> > either........but it's all I got to offer!! <smile>
> >
> > For about the last ten years or so I have been under the impression
> > that the master unit was located on the end of the IDE cable and the
> > slave was located on the connection that is partway down the cable,
> > right?
> >
> > I just bought a Lite-On burner and while I was installing it I peeked
> > at the instructions <grin> and they are telling me just the opposite!
> > The slave goes on the end of the cable and the master is on the midway
> > connection.
> >
> > I went ahead and hooked it up the way I have always been doing (of
> > course!) and it seems to work alright. But I was wondering if I am
> > taking a performance hit or doing harm to my new unit by hooking it up
> > contrary to what the diagram shows?
> >
> > Thanks for any info
> > --
> > The Seabat
>
> It doesn't matter as long as you have the jumpers on the drives set the
> way you want them.

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 10:00:09 -0500 Letting slip the dogs of war Seabat
<seabatNOSPAM@boardermail.com> wrote :

>Howdy, I come before you, the guru's of computer knowledge, with a
>perplexing (to me) problem. I offer up a young virgin for sacrifice
>to appease you gods for your knowledge and time. Wellllll, she ain't
>really a virgin and if you get right down to it she ain't that young
>either........but it's all I got to offer!! <smile>
>

>For about the last ten years or so I have been under the impression
>that the master unit was located on the end of the IDE cable and the
>slave was located on the connection that is partway down the cable,
>right?
>
>I just bought a Lite-On burner and while I was installing it I peeked
>at the instructions <grin> and they are telling me just the opposite!
>The slave goes on the end of the cable and the master is on the midway
>connection.
>
>I went ahead and hooked it up the way I have always been doing (of
>course!) and it seems to work alright. But I was wondering if I am
>taking a performance hit or doing harm to my new unit by hooking it up
>contrary to what the diagram shows?
>
>Thanks for any info

Try here,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/hard.html
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/cdsetup.html

HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

S.Heenan wrote:
> Windows XP and perhaps Win2K Pro will default to a lower transfer mode as
> detailed here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/hwdev/tech/storage/ide-dma.mspx

"For ATAPI devices, except DVD and CD-R/RWW drives. Windows XP enables
PIO by default on ATAPI tape drives, CD-ROM drives, and ATAPI removable
drives such as magneto-optical (MO) drives. The user can, however,
enable DMA on an ATAPI device through Device Manager, as described at
the end of this article.

Windows XP enables DMA by default on ATAPI DVD and CD-RW/CD-R drives. "

I've noticed that the same is true for Windows 2000 also. Anyone know
why? It seems to make no difference here (though I suspect PIO would
use a great deal more CPU power).

--
Paul

johnson

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2001

Seabat <seabatNOSPAM@boardermail.com> wrote:
> Howdy, I come before you, the guru's of computer knowledge, with a
> perplexing (to me) problem. I offer up a young virgin for sacrifice
> to appease you gods for your knowledge and time. Wellllll, she ain't
> really a virgin and if you get right down to it she ain't that young
> either........but it's all I got to offer!! <smile>

> For about the last ten years or so I have been under the impression
> that the master unit was located on the end of the IDE cable and the
> slave was located on the connection that is partway down the cable,
> right?

> I just bought a Lite-On burner and while I was installing it I peeked
> at the instructions <grin> and they are telling me just the opposite!
> The slave goes on the end of the cable and the master is on the midway
> connection.

> I went ahead and hooked it up the way I have always been doing (of
> course!) and it seems to work alright. But I was wondering if I am
> taking a performance hit or doing harm to my new unit by hooking it up
> contrary to what the diagram shows?

Google "cable select." It's a lesser known method to hook up IDE drives
versus the straight through bus connector. It so happens the first
CS drive is the master; the last drive the slave. Matches your manual's
diagram right?

The manual may be:
Describing cable select
Illustrating the config in the most global way possible (both for CS and
straight through cables)
Arbitrarily tossing a coin.

Drive order does NOT matter on a normal straight through IDE bus cable.
Anyone who says differently needs to go back to vocational school and
bitch slap the instructor until the moron takes a basic electronics
course.

The smartest advice I read suggested not pigtailing the connector
(leaving the last connector dangling). This causes reflections in SCSI
busses. I've never heard of it on IDE, but who knows.

Otherwise ignore 90% of the misinformation here.

One final note, you can see a performance gain by strategically keeping
your fastest, most accessed drives on different channels. But that's not
quite what you asked.

Johnson wrote:
-snip-

> Drive order does NOT matter on a normal straight through IDE bus cable.
> Anyone who says differently needs to go back to vocational school and
> bitch slap the instructor until the moron takes a basic electronics
> course.
-snip

It doesn't matter on CS cables either if you jumper master/slave and
don't use CS. I think the words "master" and "slave" are what confuse
most people. It's not a very accurate description of the setup.

Some new motherboards prefer the cable select setting. My A7N8X
motherboard would not boot with the Master jumper selected. However,
I switched it to cable select and it was fine.

The position on the cable can be important as well. One position is
for master and one is for slave.

Last Boy Scout wrote:

> Some new motherboards prefer the cable select setting. My A7N8X
> motherboard would not boot with the Master jumper selected. However,
> I switched it to cable select and it was fine.
>
> The position on the cable can be important as well. One position is
> for master and one is for slave.

Some drives have to be jumpered single and not master if it's the only
drive on the channel. Did you check for a single setting. Most WD drives
I've seen are like this. The position on the cable does not matter one
bit unless you are using cable select.

medovel

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
I was always told if you have only one drive you put it in the middle as the primary. If you have two drives you put the primary at the end and the slave in the middle

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Don't know how you stumbled across a thread 8½ years old, but OK.

You were told wrong. Ideally, the Master device always should be on the END (Black) connector. If there's a Slave, it goes on the middle (grey) connector. Some BIOS's are clever enough to figure out and compensate for mistakes made, but doing it right is better.