Epson C82 ink cartridge levels

I had an Epson C80 printer connected to my Windows 98 SE network via a
print server. It whacked out during its extended service plan and was
replaced with an Epson C82.

The only way to check the ink levels on a printer shared this way is to run
a printer check: Hold down the paper button. Press and release the power
button. Continue holding down the paper button until the power light
starts to flash, then release it. The printer prints one page showing its
ROM version number, ink counter, and a nozzle check pattern.

Any check of the ink levels reveals all three color cartridges to be at the
same percentage. When it came time to replace a cartridge on the C80, all
three would need replacing at the same time. Thus far is the same story on
the C82.

This has always seemed very odd to me because I have an HP printer with
separate cartridges on the same print server and they do not need to be
replaced at the same time.

I am contemplating buying a photo printer and am looking at the Epson R300
but would not be interested if it too will need all the color cartridges
replaced at the same time.

Is needing to replace all three color cartridges at the same time common
for Epson printers? Or is it somehow peculiar to my situation? Any
thoughts on the Epson R300?

Thanks.

Hi

I have an Epson R200 printer which appears to want all the ink cartridges
changing as soon as one shows empty. Unless I find a way round this (all
helpful hints appreciated) I will be chucking it out the window in a rage.

It is also suddenly objecting to the Jettec compatible cartridges I have
fitted (after being OK for the first few prints).

GRRRRRR

IanR

"Kathy" <kmzwolskiREMOVE@juno.com> wrote in message
> I had an Epson C80 printer connected to my Windows 98 SE network via a
> print server. It whacked out during its extended service plan and was
> replaced with an Epson C82.
>
> The only way to check the ink levels on a printer shared this way is to
run
> a printer check: Hold down the paper button. Press and release the power
> button. Continue holding down the paper button until the power light
> starts to flash, then release it. The printer prints one page showing its
> ROM version number, ink counter, and a nozzle check pattern.
>
> Any check of the ink levels reveals all three color cartridges to be at
the
> same percentage. When it came time to replace a cartridge on the C80, all
> three would need replacing at the same time. Thus far is the same story
on
> the C82.
>
> This has always seemed very odd to me because I have an HP printer with
> separate cartridges on the same print server and they do not need to be
> replaced at the same time.
>
> I am contemplating buying a photo printer and am looking at the Epson R300
> but would not be interested if it too will need all the color cartridges
> replaced at the same time.
>
> Is needing to replace all three color cartridges at the same time common
> for Epson printers? Or is it somehow peculiar to my situation? Any
> thoughts on the Epson R300?
>
> Thanks.

You are not getting a correct reading. They should be going down at
different levels. Replace the one that needs changing and don't worry about
the others. There is also a mark inside the printer that the cartridges
will move to allowing you to tell which one needs replaced. When you are
out of ink the printer will refuse to print.

"Kathy" <kmzwolskiREMOVE@juno.com> wrote in message
>I had an Epson C80 printer connected to my Windows 98 SE network via a
> print server. It whacked out during its extended service plan and was
> replaced with an Epson C82.
>
> The only way to check the ink levels on a printer shared this way is to
> run
> a printer check: Hold down the paper button. Press and release the power
> button. Continue holding down the paper button until the power light
> starts to flash, then release it. The printer prints one page showing its
> ROM version number, ink counter, and a nozzle check pattern.
>
> Any check of the ink levels reveals all three color cartridges to be at
> the
> same percentage. When it came time to replace a cartridge on the C80, all
> three would need replacing at the same time. Thus far is the same story
> on
> the C82.
>
> This has always seemed very odd to me because I have an HP printer with
> separate cartridges on the same print server and they do not need to be
> replaced at the same time.
>
> I am contemplating buying a photo printer and am looking at the Epson R300
> but would not be interested if it too will need all the color cartridges
> replaced at the same time.
>
> Is needing to replace all three color cartridges at the same time common
> for Epson printers? Or is it somehow peculiar to my situation? Any
> thoughts on the Epson R300?
>
> Thanks.

I have the same problem of all ink levels being low at the same time.
I have bought the cartridges at same time almost all the time. But now
I have a serious problem every time I replace the ink it tells me that
it needs to be refilled right after I put in the new cartridges. I
called Epson (with a long distance calling card, thanks Epson for not
having 1-800 number) and they told me it was a printer problem and
could not help me over the phone, right before they told me that they
would charge me for the tech support if the printer was out of
warranty. They instead gave the number of place where they can fix the
problem. Now I have to see if it is cheaper to buy a new (I might go
with HP, but I am not doing Epson) printer or try to salvage the one I
got. Any suggestions before I have fork over some cash?

Make sure the contacts that touch the ink cartridge chip are clean and
not bent or broken. Make sure the chip on the cartridge isn't
contaminated with ink or other dirt.

Have you tried a new cartridge? Some (even Epson's own) cartridges have
apparently come through mis-programmed at times, and can cause a problem
similar to this.

Lastly, I would not allow Epson to get away with taking no
responsibility. The whole chip scheme was designed so Epson can force
people to use their inks. The technology has almost no advantage to the
end user. If Epson is going to create a design which tends to fail and
which has almost no advantage to the end user, I think they need to take
responsibility for it, even after warranty. They make much of their
money on ink sales, and they attempt to force people to buy their ink,
very possibly in violation of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act in the US. I
do not know what the current status of these kinds of laws are in other
countries.

Personally, I do not think consumers should allow any manufacturer to
design a system that holds them hostage to consumables, which further
confounds the functionality of the printer.

Art

Euro609 wrote:

> I have the same problem of all ink levels being low at the same time.
> I have bought the cartridges at same time almost all the time. But now
> I have a serious problem every time I replace the ink it tells me that
> it needs to be refilled right after I put in the new cartridges. I
> called Epson (with a long distance calling card, thanks Epson for not
> having 1-800 number) and they told me it was a printer problem and
> could not help me over the phone, right before they told me that they
> would charge me for the tech support if the printer was out of
> warranty. They instead gave the number of place where they can fix the
> problem. Now I have to see if it is cheaper to buy a new (I might go
> with HP, but I am not doing Epson) printer or try to salvage the one I
> got. Any suggestions before I have fork over some cash?

Almost every Epson series of printers has it's own reset procedure with
differing button presses from the front panel, so it is unlikely the 750
sequence works on may other printers.

If my memory serves, the C series printers were the first that do not
reset for the front panel. I believe it can only be done via special
software, usually only available to Epson service depots. The Russian
utility you mention the website to (http://www.ssclg.com/epsone.shtml)
may provide this reset via software, however.

Art