Ad Hoc ICS Problem - PLEASE HELP

Trying to set up ad hoc network between my two laptops to support both file
sharing and internet connection sharing (ICS). I've tried everything I can
think of, but can't get the ICS working. File sharing works most of the time.
Here's the backgound:

Both Toshiba laptops running WinXP home edition, SP2.
One has built in wireless adapter (Atheros AR5004G),
Other has PCMCIA card (Belkin wireless G notebook card F5D7010).

I did Netword Setup Wizard on host, setting it as the unit connected to the
internet via AOL dialup.
I set up the second unit as the client to share the internet from the host
computer.
I enabled file sharing on both computers.
I used the same SSID name on both computers.
I set TCP/IP on both to obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically. (Is this
correct?)
IP address of host: 192.168.0.1
IP address of client: 192.168.0.60 (or other 192.168.0.*)
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
Subnet Masks: 255.255.255.0
Ping times (both ways) 1ms or less (usually)

Internet works fine on host computer. Client always shows "Page cannot be
displayed" (on IE6). Watching Tx and Rx packets on host (using Belkins
wireless card utility), can see RX packets slowly moving up when I try to
refresh web page on client. Little or no TX response. Refresh just shows
"Page cannot be displayed" again.

The Belkin card seems to use 6 as the default channel (US), but doesn't work
very well causing long ping times. Resetting to channel 11 works much better.
It sometimes jumps back to channel 6. Don't know why.

I have read and followed the steps in "Making the Wireless Home Network
Connection in Windows XP Without a Router" (Published: April 8, 2002 by Barb
Bowman, Expert Zone Columnist.
(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx?pf=true)
She sort of says "do this...then it works" - but it doesn't!

What am I doing wrong???
Thanks,
Jack.

In article <94473F13-9FBA-4250-87A4-57C1521AB6F7@microsoft.com>,
JackMcCarron <JackMcCarron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>Trying to set up ad hoc network between my two laptops to support both file
>sharing and internet connection sharing (ICS). I've tried everything I can
>think of, but can't get the ICS working. File sharing works most of the time.
>Here's the backgound:
>
>Both Toshiba laptops running WinXP home edition, SP2.
>One has built in wireless adapter (Atheros AR5004G),
>Other has PCMCIA card (Belkin wireless G notebook card F5D7010).
>
>I did Netword Setup Wizard on host, setting it as the unit connected to the
>internet via AOL dialup.
>I set up the second unit as the client to share the internet from the host
>computer.
>I enabled file sharing on both computers.
>I used the same SSID name on both computers.
>I set TCP/IP on both to obtain IP and DNS addresses automatically. (Is this
>correct?)
>IP address of host: 192.168.0.1
>IP address of client: 192.168.0.60 (or other 192.168.0.*)
>Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
>Subnet Masks: 255.255.255.0
>Ping times (both ways) 1ms or less (usually)
>
>Internet works fine on host computer. Client always shows "Page cannot be
>displayed" (on IE6). Watching Tx and Rx packets on host (using Belkins
>wireless card utility), can see RX packets slowly moving up when I try to
>refresh web page on client. Little or no TX response. Refresh just shows
>"Page cannot be displayed" again.
>
>The Belkin card seems to use 6 as the default channel (US), but doesn't work
>very well causing long ping times. Resetting to channel 11 works much better.
>It sometimes jumps back to channel 6. Don't know why.
>
>I have read and followed the steps in "Making the Wireless Home Network
>Connection in Windows XP Without a Router" (Published: April 8, 2002 by Barb
>Bowman, Expert Zone Columnist.
>(http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx?pf=true)
>She sort of says "do this...then it works" - but it doesn't!
>
>What am I doing wrong???
>Thanks,
>Jack.

I'm sorry, but it isn't possible to share an AOL dial-up connection
using ICS, due to the way that AOL designed its software.

Here's a free proxy server program that runs on Windows XP and can let
other computers access the Internet through an AOL dial-up connection:

AnalogX Proxy
http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

The other computers won't be able to log into AOL, because AOL only
allows one screen name to log in at a time. They'll be able to use
other Internet programs, like Internet Explorer, email programs, news
readers, etc.

NOTE: To protect your network and prevent malicious use by Internet
hackers, read and follow the suggestions in the following message that
appears when you run AnalogX:

WARNING - Proxy is currently running in an open state!

The proxy server is currently running in an open state, which
should only be used when you initially install the proxy server or
if you are attempting to verify that everything is configured
properly. Please read the security section of the documentation
for information on how to secure the proxy once it is successfully
configured - when it is running in a closed state this message will
no longer appear. When the proxy is running in an open state, it
is visible to other computers on the Internet and could potentially
be used by spammers or other Internet users to mask their
activities.
--
Best Wishes,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com