WM2003 closing of programs

August 9, 2004 7:22:32 PM

Hi,

why aren't programs closed when I press the 'x' button in the top right
of the screen.
For example, when I open Internet Explorer and close it again and after
that look at start -> settings -> memory -> running programs I still see
internet explorer as a running program. This is true for all software
except TomTom navigator which has a specific Close Application button.

Remco
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 7:22:33 PM

This is a common question for PPC users.
This is the default behaviour of Windows Mobile. The programs are
'minimized', so that they can be brought back quicker in case you
need them later on. Windows Mobile manages memory on it's own and
will determine whether or not it needs more memory to run some
program and will proceed to free up memory by closing programs that
have not been used for X amount of time. If you don't like this
kind of behaviour you can find third party solutions like
SPB's Pocket Plus!, WisBAR Advance, etc. to make the 'X' behave
like a real 'X', close programs instead of minimize them.

~S.

"news.individual.de" <Rmeeder@gmx.net> wrote in news:2npc38F38ndrU1@uni-
berlin.de:

--
======================
ACE!!! a.k.a. ~S.

This is normal operation for PPC. The apps stay loaded and running so that
they can start quicker the next time.

--
Bruce Eitman (eMVP)
Senior Engineer

Applied Data Systems
www.applieddata.net
An ISO 9001:2000 Registered Company
Microsoft WEP Gold-level Member

Do have an opinion on the effectiveness of Microsoft Windows Mobile and
Embedded newsgroups? Let us know!
https://www.windowsembeddedeval.com/community/newsgroup...
August 9, 2004 7:22:34 PM

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004 10:18:06 -0400, "Bruce Eitman \(eMVP\)"
<beitmannospam@NOSPAM_applieddata.NOSPAM_net> wrote:

>This is normal operation for PPC. The apps stay loaded and running so that
>they can start quicker the next time.

Another decision MS made for us!
Anonymous
August 9, 2004 11:16:51 PM

That is what OS vendors do. They must do the trade off analsys. In this
case either load faster, or put in an option which of course means another
setting in the control panel.

Some we like, some we don't.

App developers can chose to follow, or be different. The example that the
original poster cited is an example of an app developer who chose to do it
differently. I think that this indicates that Microsoft did not make the
choice for us, except with their apps. And then I don't really know who
else would have made the choice. No software vendor has ever called me to
ask how I want their app implemented, how about you?

--

!