Where is one of my drive letters?

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

I had a system built for me. Asus P4C800E Deluxe, with one SATA hard
drive, one DVD Rom and a floppy.

I have an external Seagate USB drive which I use for backups and it's
usually turned off.

I also use an external Plextor DVDRW plugged into a firewire port at the
moment, which is usually turned off as well.

So the hard drive is C
The floppy is A
The internal DVD Rom is D

But when I turn on the Plextor Firewire DVDRW, it is always drive F.

Where is drive E?

I know that some vendors put in a hidden partition - but I have Explorer
set to show system files and hidden files.

How can I find out what drive E has been assigned to?

BTW, it doesn't show up in device manager either....

Louise

In article <MPG.1adfef1b901b512e989692@news-
server.nyc.rr.com>, none@nospam.com says...
> I had a system built for me. Asus P4C800E Deluxe, with one SATA hard
> drive, one DVD Rom and a floppy.
>
> I have an external Seagate USB drive which I use for backups and it's
> usually turned off.
>
> I also use an external Plextor DVDRW plugged into a firewire port at the
> moment, which is usually turned off as well.
>
> So the hard drive is C
> The floppy is A
> The internal DVD Rom is D
>
> But when I turn on the Plextor Firewire DVDRW, it is always drive F.
>
> Where is drive E?
>
> I know that some vendors put in a hidden partition - but I have Explorer
> set to show system files and hidden files.
>
> How can I find out what drive E has been assigned to?
>
> BTW, it doesn't show up in device manager either....
>
> Louise

Assuming WinXP, right-click on My Computer, Manage, go
look at your Disk Management (not device manager).

It's also possible that your Plextor has been manually
assigned to F: (right-click the device to change the
drive letter).

louise

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2003

In article <MPG.1adffc83f8c1d9d4989837@news-50.giganews.com>, toshi1873
@nowhere.com says...
> In article <MPG.1adfef1b901b512e989692@news-
> server.nyc.rr.com>, none@nospam.com says...
> > I had a system built for me. Asus P4C800E Deluxe, with one SATA hard
> > drive, one DVD Rom and a floppy.
> >
> > I have an external Seagate USB drive which I use for backups and it's
> > usually turned off.
> >
> > I also use an external Plextor DVDRW plugged into a firewire port at the
> > moment, which is usually turned off as well.
> >
> > So the hard drive is C
> > The floppy is A
> > The internal DVD Rom is D
> >
> > But when I turn on the Plextor Firewire DVDRW, it is always drive F.
> >
> > Where is drive E?
> >
> > I know that some vendors put in a hidden partition - but I have Explorer
> > set to show system files and hidden files.
> >
> > How can I find out what drive E has been assigned to?
> >
> > BTW, it doesn't show up in device manager either....
> >
> > Louise
> >

> Assuming WinXP, right-click on My Computer, Manage, go
> look at your Disk Management (not device manager).
>
> It's also possible that your Plextor has been manually
> assigned to F: (right-click the device to change the
> drive letter).

Thanks - I just did it. Sure enough, C is listed as the "healthy" hard
drive, D is listed as the DVDROM, E is simply not mentioned at all and
F is the Plextor DVDRW.

BUT - when I then turned on the external hard drive that is attached via
USB, that is what has been assigned to E. Apparently, when it's turned
off, the drive designation remains.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction to solve the mystery.

Louise

TRENDING THREADS