New Soundcard - fizzle and then no sound?

Hi guys -

I had a soundcard blow in my MAME cab, and so I set about replacing it
(and found that GameLauncher won't run without a soundcard)

I first bought an SBLive - but it wouldn't work, my Win98 is too old.

Then I bought an ESS Audio 4 channel card - installed and seemed to go
OK... went into GameLauncher and then selected a game...

What happened next was very strange. As the background music played,
it started getting louder and kept doing so as it also became more
distorted. I escaped out of the game and the same thing continued
with the blip sounds as I scrolled through the menu. I exited
GameLauncher and the sound was at full volume and pretty distorted. I
went into Sounds on the Control Panel and played individual wavs - what
it sounds like is white noise introduced over the sample itself. So
where you'd have a fraction of a second of silence before and after a
wav sample, that was all noise, and the noise was layered over the
sample itself as it played, as well.

Like where something would be normally:
|_____/\ _____|
| \/ |
| |

this was

|_____/\ _____|
| \/ |
|**************|

Anyways - eventually it just died, soundwise - now, whenever I try to
restart the system, I just get a thump or 3 from the speakers as they
try to initialize, and an "ESS Primary Codec Error".

I have tried uninstalling/reinstalling, changing card slots, etc.

What can I do?

System is Win98/DOS MAME/GameLauncher. Athlon 1gHz PC.

Thanks
Dave
1 answer Last reply
More about soundcard fizzle sound