Question about aluminum case sturdiness?

I bought an all-aluminum case a while back that while being light, had
problems because the aluminum is so thin that the little locking tabs for
the top and for locking the internal HDD bay into place broke off almost
right away. Don't know what the gauge of aluminum is on it. I am looking at
a full-tower Thermaltake Xaser Wingo case as an upgrade for this case, but
it says it is made of 1 mm aluminum. Maybe it is the same gauge and will
have the same problem with the locking tabs breaking off? I was looking for
a review of this case, but didn't find one. thanks.

i have an aluminum kingwin kt-424-bk that feels very sturdy but it's 2mm
thick. it feels even sturdier than my old lian li pc61 but i don't know what
thickness that was.

"Jim Caldwell" <Jamesw@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> I bought an all-aluminum case a while back that while being light, had
> problems because the aluminum is so thin that the little locking tabs for
> the top and for locking the internal HDD bay into place broke off almost
> right away. Don't know what the gauge of aluminum is on it. I am looking
at
> a full-tower Thermaltake Xaser Wingo case as an upgrade for this case,
but
> it says it is made of 1 mm aluminum. Maybe it is the same gauge and will
> have the same problem with the locking tabs breaking off? I was looking
for
> a review of this case, but didn't find one. thanks.

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 05:10:05 -0500, "Jim Caldwell"
<Jamesw@grandecom.net> wrote:

>I bought an all-aluminum case a while back that while being light, had
>problems because the aluminum is so thin that the little locking tabs for
>the top and for locking the internal HDD bay into place broke off almost
>right away. Don't know what the gauge of aluminum is on it. I am looking at
>a full-tower Thermaltake Xaser Wingo case as an upgrade for this case, but
>it says it is made of 1 mm aluminum. Maybe it is the same gauge and will
>have the same problem with the locking tabs breaking off? I was looking for
>a review of this case, but didn't find one. thanks.

I use the Kingwin KT 424 aluminum case in black... it is a very sturdy
case. I noticed that a lot of aluminum cases are not as sturdy...you
want a case that is at least 2 mil thickness...
Glenn M
A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

Andrew

TomsHardware did a review 2003 Winter case review
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20031217/case_review-12.html