Problem with NEC ND-2500 A and XP!

I just installed this DVD+/- RW and purchased Verbatim Datalife plus
DVD+RW media for it, that is what is in the drive now. The drive will work
as far as reading CD-Rs fine. I tried to test the DVD writing function, and
it doesn't work. First thing wrong is that the icon for the drive shows a
CD -R (only) device E:, and when you mouse-over, it says its capacity is 4.7
gigabyte! Below that, it shows what I guess is a "phantom" drive, identified
as a DVD drive F: that is really not there....when you mouse-over, it does
not display anything , and when you double-click it, it says "please insert
a disk". When I opened up the (mis-identified) CD drive E:, and dragged 4.4
gig of files into it, it did then show these files waiting to be written.
But when I select "write these files", it says "there is no disk in the
drive,or it is full". (even though it has obviously detected a disk and
shown its capacity!)
I checked to see that it is on the master end of the ATA133 cable, and
the jumper is set for master. I removed my other DVD/CD-RW and rebooted to
see if the presence of another (CD format only) burner was causing a
problem, that did not help.
I checked device manager, and it lists and identifies the device
correctly as a NEC DVD-RW ND-2500A, and says the device is working properly.
Shouldn't XP install the proper driver for this drive automatically?
And shouldn't XP itself be able to write files to it on a DVD+RW disk, just
as it can automatically write files to my CD-RW for backup or whatever?
My XP Home has SP1 and all subsequent updates installed up to Feb 15
2004.
I am not too happy about the software that came with the
drive....Nerovision Express 2 SE only supports *CD* video writing. It
doesn't support MPEG 2 writing for DVD, you have to buy that addon from
Nero! Why give the customer a sofware package that is unuseable with the
product?
(maybe this was the EBay vendors' fault)
Thanks, Jim

One of those drives (guessing F) is probably a virtual "image-drive"
(probably installed with nero). Basically, it allows you to "mount" an ISO
as a CD without burning it to a CD/DVD.

As for the burning, it could be a number of things. First thing I would do
is try another blank disk (it is possible/likely that it started burning and
failed). If that doesnt work, installing ASPI drivers
(http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/support/drivers_by_product.jsp?sess=no&lan
guage=English+US&cat=/Product/ASPI-4.70) works many times for issues where
computers will not burn, and usually works for ATA as well as SCSI.

It is also possible it is bad or incompatible media. In the manual (or on
their web site), it should list some compatible media. Try that if the ASPI
drivers do not work.

If THAT doesnt work, the last thing would be updating the drive firmware.

--Don McMorris
Ospitare International