Lost Internet Connection

Scott

My WinXP Pro notebook uses an SMC2435W wireless card connecting
with a Linksys router. I decided to make my network a little more secure
by changing the SSID from the default. I also changed the SSID on the
notebook. Afterwards, there was no way I could connect to my home
network. No other settings were changed. I reset the router with no success.
Finally, I disabled WEP on the router and my notebook, and my connection
now works properly. I've used WEP for several years. I don't let Windows
set up the network connection. I find the available network on the SMC icon
on the taskbar and let it connect there. Any idea how changing the SSID
could have caused this problem? I've never had any issues with my wireless
connection before.

Thanks!
Scott

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

Have you disabled the Windows Wireless utility?

When you changed the name, did you type it exactly the same as for as upper
and lower case letters?

Did you redo the network for the new SSID and reset all the settings under
that connection?

Clark

"Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> My WinXP Pro notebook uses an SMC2435W wireless card connecting
> with a Linksys router. I decided to make my network a little more secure
> by changing the SSID from the default. I also changed the SSID on the
> notebook. Afterwards, there was no way I could connect to my home
> network. No other settings were changed. I reset the router with no
> success.
> Finally, I disabled WEP on the router and my notebook, and my connection
> now works properly. I've used WEP for several years. I don't let Windows
> set up the network connection. I find the available network on the SMC
> icon
> on the taskbar and let it connect there. Any idea how changing the SSID
> could have caused this problem? I've never had any issues with my
> wireless
> connection before.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott

Scott

Clark,

Can you refresh my memory about how to disable Windows Wireless utility?

My new problem is that instead of 2.8mbps, I'm only getting 100kb download
on my Charter connection.

Thanks!
Scott

Clark wrote:

> Have you disabled the Windows Wireless utility?
>
> When you changed the name, did you type it exactly the same as for as upper
> and lower case letters?
>
> Did you redo the network for the new SSID and reset all the settings under
> that connection?
>
> Clark
>
> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > My WinXP Pro notebook uses an SMC2435W wireless card connecting
> > with a Linksys router. I decided to make my network a little more secure
> > by changing the SSID from the default. I also changed the SSID on the
> > notebook. Afterwards, there was no way I could connect to my home
> > network. No other settings were changed. I reset the router with no
> > success.
> > Finally, I disabled WEP on the router and my notebook, and my connection
> > now works properly. I've used WEP for several years. I don't let Windows
> > set up the network connection. I find the available network on the SMC
> > icon
> > on the taskbar and let it connect there. Any idea how changing the SSID
> > could have caused this problem? I've never had any issues with my
> > wireless
> > connection before.
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

Clark

Distinguished
May 19, 2004

WZC is right click on Network Places and select properties. Right click on
your wireless connection and select properties. In the Wireless networks tab
at the top, uncheck the Use Windows box.

You should see your wireless networks in the box below. If the WZC is
turned off you will not be able to access the properties in the Preferred
Networks box. You must use your other utility to set up each network. So
make sure the network with the new SSID has the correct settings and you
might want to remove the old one.

If you decide to use the Windows controller instead, you might try not
not sure.

> Clark,
>
> Can you refresh my memory about how to disable Windows Wireless utility?
>
> My new problem is that instead of 2.8mbps, I'm only getting 100kb download
> on my Charter connection.
>
> Thanks!
> Scott
>

> Clark wrote:
>
>> Have you disabled the Windows Wireless utility?
>>
>> When you changed the name, did you type it exactly the same as for as
>> upper
>> and lower case letters?
>>
>> Did you redo the network for the new SSID and reset all the settings
>> under
>> that connection?
>>
>> Clark
>>
>> "Scott" <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>> > My WinXP Pro notebook uses an SMC2435W wireless card connecting
>> > with a Linksys router. I decided to make my network a little more
>> > secure
>> > by changing the SSID from the default. I also changed the SSID on the
>> > notebook. Afterwards, there was no way I could connect to my home
>> > network. No other settings were changed. I reset the router with no
>> > success.
>> > Finally, I disabled WEP on the router and my notebook, and my
>> > connection
>> > now works properly. I've used WEP for several years. I don't let
>> > Windows
>> > set up the network connection. I find the available network on the SMC
>> > icon
>> > on the taskbar and let it connect there. Any idea how changing the
>> > SSID
>> > could have caused this problem? I've never had any issues with my
>> > wireless
>> > connection before.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Scott