Windows 7 upgrade from XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathicus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I have a retail license for XP Pro that I used for years before switching to the Windows 7 RC months ago. I just got my preordered Win7 Pro and installed it. The funny thing is there was no trace of Windows XP on my machine and I was never required to supply the XP disc or key. I can't seem to find info on this situation anywhere.

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
You can't do an "in place" upgrade to windows 7 from xp. It will upgrade but won't copy over settings, programs etc. I dont know if it will wipe the drive automatically or not, but you never know. I would think it would just rename the folder.

deathicus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
I don't think I phrased my question properly. Here is an outline of what happened.

My configuration prior to installation of Windows 7 Upgrade: System Disk = Windows 7 RC

1. Backed up all desired data to non-system internal HD.
2. Booted from Windows 7 Professional 64x upgrade DVD.
3. Formatted system disk containing Win7 RC
4. Installed without supplying CD-key.
5. Booted Windows 7 Pro 64 from HD after successful installation.
6. Activated OS with CD-key that came in Win7 box.

I bought the upgrade assuming I would 'convert' my XP license to a Win7 license by supplying my WinXP CD-key. But, I never had to prove that I previously owned any Windows operating system when I was installing Windows 7. Is this a flaw in MS's upgrading option and do I now have usable keys for both WinXP and Win7?

Status
Not open for further replies.