Dual-Proc MAME compile?

.....cause I have to justify this /somehow/:

HP X4000 (http://tinyurl.com/7ozn2)
Tyan S2603 with 2x Xeon 2Ghz CPUs and HSFs
Case, PS, CD-rom, floppy, internal cables - CAD$200
1GB PC800 (RAMBUS) RDRAM (2x512MB) and CRIMMS - CAD$275
36gb SCSI Ultra160 Ultra 160 10k RPM LVD/SE HD $48
Shipping - CAD$40

Total for the above unit shipped is CAD$563.

(If you want one, he has more than 50 left!)

--
Thnik about it!
Deadly_Dad

paving@unmotivatednesso.int
pelotherapy@unfelledb.com
tridiametral@choroidoretinitisl.com
biflex@stauracinn.com
outhue@yuzluk.Araneiformiag.com
11 answers Last reply
More about dual proc mame compile

    That beast should eat mame, those Xeon processors are the business.
    I've never seen anything positive about a multi-threaded Mame version.
    Anything I've read from Aaron seems to be saying that Mame will not
    benefit greatly from dual processor, or conversion to such. However,
    with one processor doing system/OS tasks, that should leave 100% of
    the remaining procesor dedicated to Mame, rather than sharing as is
    the case with a single processor. I'd be interested to know how it
    performs.

    Troy.

    Troy wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:33:21 GMT, Deadly_Dad
    > <XXXspamtrap007@gmail.comXXX> wrote:
    >

    >>....cause I have to justify this /somehow/:
    >>
    >>HP X4000 (http://tinyurl.com/7ozn2)
    >>Tyan S2603 with 2x Xeon 2Ghz CPUs and HSFs
    >>Case, PS, CD-rom, floppy, internal cables - CAD$200
    >>1GB PC800 (RAMBUS) RDRAM (2x512MB) and CRIMMS - CAD$275
    >>36gb SCSI Ultra160 Ultra 160 10k RPM LVD/SE HD $48
    >>Shipping - CAD$40
    >>
    >>Total for the above unit shipped is CAD$563.
    >>
    >>(If you want one, he has more than 50 left!)
    >

    > That beast should eat mame, those Xeon processors are the business.
    > I've never seen anything positive about a multi-threaded Mame version.
    > Anything I've read from Aaron seems to be saying that Mame will not
    > benefit greatly from dual processor, or conversion to such. However,
    > with one processor doing system/OS tasks, that should leave 100% of
    > the remaining procesor dedicated to Mame, rather than sharing as is
    > the case with a single processor. I'd be interested to know how it
    > performs.
    >
    > Troy.

    It occurred to me that, while some games won't be helped much, games
    that have more than one processor being emulated are /begging/ for
    multiple CPUs. Rather than try to change /all/ of MAME, *just*(<G>) set
    it up so that the emulation duties for a particular processor all go to
    one CPU. It seems to me that that would more closely emulate what
    happens in the actual hardware, which, of course, is what MAMEDev is all
    about. <POKE><POKE>

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    lupanine@flavine.onychophorousn.gov
    postclavicle@Callianassai.mil
    Polystictus@fennecg.edu
    recommendee@chastityf.net
    disangularize@chuml.edu

    On 2005-08-25, Deadly_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@gmail.comXXX> wrote:
    > It occurred to me that, while some games won't be helped much, games
    > that have more than one processor being emulated are /begging/ for
    > multiple CPUs. Rather than try to change /all/ of MAME, *just*(<G>) set
    > it up so that the emulation duties for a particular processor all go to
    > one CPU. It seems to me that that would more closely emulate what
    > happens in the actual hardware, which, of course, is what MAMEDev is all
    > about. <POKE><POKE>

    "For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious,
    and wrong."

    Finding who said that is left as an exercise to the google user.
    Applies perfectly though.

    OG.

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:44:58 +1000, Deadly_Dad wrote:

    > Troy wrote:
    >>
    >> On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:33:21 GMT, Deadly_Dad
    >> <XXXspamtrap007@gmail.comXXX> wrote:
    >>

    >>>....cause I have to justify this /somehow/:
    >>>
    >>>HP X4000 (http://tinyurl.com/7ozn2)
    >>>Tyan S2603 with 2x Xeon 2Ghz CPUs and HSFs Case, PS, CD-rom, floppy,
    >>>internal cables - CAD$200 1GB PC800 (RAMBUS) RDRAM (2x512MB) and CRIMMS
    >>>- CAD$275 36gb SCSI Ultra160 Ultra 160 10k RPM LVD/SE HD $48 Shipping -
    >>>CAD$40
    >>>
    >>>Total for the above unit shipped is CAD$563.
    >>>
    >>>(If you want one, he has more than 50 left!)

    <snip>

    > It occurred to me that, while some games won't be helped much, games
    > that have more than one processor being emulated are /begging/ for
    > multiple CPUs. Rather than try to change /all/ of MAME, *just*(<G>) set
    > it up so that the emulation duties for a particular processor all go to
    > one CPU. It seems to me that that would more closely emulate what
    > happens in the actual hardware, which, of course, is what MAMEDev is all
    > about. <POKE><POKE>

    That would then be simulation, not emulation, to a degree.

    --
    Sean

    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

    SMC wrote:
    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 08:44:58 +1000, Deadly_Dad wrote:
    >

    >>Troy wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    >>It occurred to me that, while some games won't be helped much, games
    >>that have more than one processor being emulated are /begging/ for
    >>multiple CPUs. Rather than try to change /all/ of MAME, *just*(<G>) set
    >>it up so that the emulation duties for a particular processor all go to
    >>one CPU. It seems to me that that would more closely emulate what
    >>happens in the actual hardware, which, of course, is what MAMEDev is all
    >>about. <POKE><POKE>
    >

    > That would then be simulation, not emulation, to a degree.

    Hmmmmm.....Thus begs the question 'where does emulation of how the
    hardware works end, and simulation begin?'

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    suddle@appositivelya.com
    renewable@Delawarean.catarrhall.mil
    uncalculating@delectablenessr.pt
    recompound@telegenico.gov
    pulpaceous@adatj.org

    Deadly_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@gmail.comXXX> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled
    meyhem news:ZStPe.17055$Hk.14590@pd7tw1no:

    > SMC wrote:

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>>It occurred to me that, while some games won't be helped much, games
    >>>that have more than one processor being emulated are /begging/ for
    >>>multiple CPUs. Rather than try to change /all/ of MAME, *just*(<G>)
    >>>set it up so that the emulation duties for a particular processor all
    >>>go to one CPU. It seems to me that that would more closely emulate
    >>>what happens in the actual hardware, which, of course, is what
    >>>MAMEDev is all about. <POKE><POKE>
    >>

    >> That would then be simulation, not emulation, to a degree.
    >>

    > Hmmmmm.....Thus begs the question 'where does emulation of how the
    > hardware works end, and simulation begin?'

    Emulation occurs at the electron level... Anything higher is
    simulation!!!! ;-)

    Each PCB is made from millions upon billions of electrons & neutrons &
    Protons.. & I want them all emulated directly (also, I want the
    Heisenburg Uncertainty principle broken, so we know both where & the
    direction of said electron.....

    El Rossi wrote:
    > Deadly_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@gmail.comXXX> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled
    > meyhem news:ZStPe.17055$Hk.14590@pd7tw1no:
    >

    >>SMC wrote:

    >>><snip>

    >>>That would then be simulation, not emulation, to a degree.
    >>>

    >>Hmmmmm.....Thus begs the question 'where does emulation of how the
    >>hardware works end, and simulation begin?'
    >>

    > Emulation occurs at the electron level... Anything higher is
    > simulation!!!! ;-)
    >
    > Each PCB is made from millions upon billions of electrons & neutrons &
    > Protons.. & I want them all emulated directly (also, I want the
    > Heisenburg Uncertainty principle broken, so we know both where & the
    > direction of said electron.....

    Ye *GODS*, man! Don't you realize the sheer power you would be giving
    to Sherzer? Do you really want someone that /sane/ auditing the universe?

    --
    Thnik about it!
    Deadly_Dad

    vivisepulture@Gorgosaurusj.mil
    promenade@pudsyq.gov
    nonindividual@cordedo.com
    diverticulosis@reinspirationj.wf
    assignably@imageriallyv.int

    Deadly_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@gmail.comXXX> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled
    meyhem news:75BPe.18015$Hk.7052@pd7tw1no:

    > El Rossi wrote:
    >> Deadly_Dad <XXXspamtrap007@gmail.comXXX> wrote in frenzy of gak
    >> fuelled meyhem news:ZStPe.17055$Hk.14590@pd7tw1no:

    >>>Hmmmmm.....Thus begs the question 'where does emulation of how the
    >>>hardware works end, and simulation begin?'
    >>>

    >> Emulation occurs at the electron level... Anything higher is
    >> simulation!!!! ;-)
    >>
    >> Each PCB is made from millions upon billions of electrons & neutrons
    >> & Protons.. & I want them all emulated directly (also, I want the
    >> Heisenburg Uncertainty principle broken, so we know both where & the
    >> direction of said electron.....
    >>

    > Ye *GODS*, man! Don't you realize the sheer power you would be giving
    > to Sherzer? Do you really want someone that /sane/ auditing the
    > universe?

    Yeah, but think of the sales that AMD would get!!

    BTW : buy now for shares in AMD - their price will skyrocket when
    quantuMame gets released!!!!

    Also - Sherzer? - Do you mean Shergar (the racehorse?)

    On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 01:02:49 +0000, Deadly_Dad wrote:

    > Thus begs the question 'where does emulation of how the
    > hardware works end, and simulation begin?'

    It raises the question. Begging the question is another concept entirely
    and has nothing to do with raising any question.

    Corrective lamb!

    *tee hee*

    innocent_lamb <nospam@example.com> wrote in frenzy of gak fuelled meyhem

    > On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 01:02:49 +0000, Deadly_Dad wrote:
    >
    >> Thus begs the question 'where does emulation of how the
    >> hardware works end, and simulation begin?'
    >
    > It raises the question. Begging the question is another concept entirely
    > and has nothing to do with raising any question.
    >
    > Corrective lamb!
    >
    > *tee hee*

    eh? what you been smoking?

    On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 20:18:07 GMT, El Rossi wrote:

    > eh? what you been smoking?

    Pedant-boro cigarettes ;)

    M.

CAD Video Games Product