pda as terminal under xp home (with bt)

Jonathan

Is it possible to use my hp2210 as terminal with my home computer (using xp
home and with bt dongle)?

Under My Computer - Properties - Remote there is no box allowing remote
users. Is this a feature of xp professional? Or I have I not set someting up?

Thanks

XP Home can *NOT* act as a Remote Desktop host...

You either need to upgrade to XP Pro or look at an alternative like VNC (any flavor). Personally I
like/use/recommend UltraVNC.

http://ultravnc.sourceforge.net/

PocketPC VNC clients...

http://www.cs.utah.edu/~midgley/wince/vnc.html
http://www.allware.com.mx/

I have not used this one...

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=128549

Of course this presumes you can get an IP via the BT link. I don't do BT, but you might look at the
Geekzone BT Guides for help with that issue...

You also might consider configuring the VNC server so the desktop wallpaper is not rendered while in
the VNC session. That should speed up the link. Its been my experience that VNC is pretty slow over
an 802.11b wireless link to a PocketPC. TSC and Remote Desktop, on the other hand, is pretty fast...
As always, YMMV...

--

Al Jarvi (MS-MVP Windows Networking)

"Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is it possible to use my hp2210 as terminal with my home computer (using xp
> home and with bt dongle)?
>
> Under My Computer - Properties - Remote there is no box allowing remote
> users. Is this a feature of xp professional? Or I have I not set someting up?
>
> Thanks

Jonathan

Thanks!

I tried (finally) the pda version from Sourceforge.net as I could only get
this one to work. It needs the very latest UltraVNC (20.5) to link to,
otherwise an error occurs (known problem with earlier versions).

Problem solved!