computer exploded (i mean that literally)

So I sat down this morning, moved the mouse to 'wake up' the computer, and
next thing i know it sounds like gun shots going off and i see white flashes
inside the computer. Now the whole house smells like melted plastic.

Any idea as to what actually blew up?
11 answers Last reply
More about computer exploded literally

    "jc" <jclayton23NOSPAM@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > So I sat down this morning, moved the mouse to 'wake up' the computer, and
    > next thing i know it sounds like gun shots going off and i see white
    flashes
    > inside the computer. Now the whole house smells like melted plastic.

    Khewel!

    > This might sound obvious, have you tried taking the top of your computer
    > and having a look? Generally when this sort of thing happens you'll see
    > a capacitor or chip that has blown and bits of debris will be spread
    > over the motherboard. The mainboard will also have scorch marks around
    > the component that has blown.
    >
    > If it's blown up as loudly as you suggested I think you'll see
    > immediately what's gone.
    >
    > Whatever it is though, it sounds like you might need a new motherboard
    > and a decent power supply.
    >
    > Jason

    That's the odd part. Nothing looks damaged on the inside. I would guess that
    it would almost have to be the power supply then? I had an Antec, but maybe
    it wasn't powerful enough.

    "jc" <jclayton23NOSPAM@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
    > So I sat down this morning, moved the mouse to 'wake up' the computer, and
    > next thing i know it sounds like gun shots going off and i see white
    flashes
    > inside the computer. Now the whole house smells like melted plastic.
    >
    > Any idea as to what actually blew up?

    I've seen power supplies do that. The last one took all connected drives
    with it, though. :( -Dave

    > How old was the Antec power supply? I don't know what the life span of
    > PSU's is these days, however I guess they eventually wear out like every
    > other component.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    > Jason

    Jason,

    I built the system in January so it was only a few months old. It was only
    300w, so maybe I overloaded it (I have an Athlon XP2500).

    jc wrote:
    > So I sat down this morning, moved the mouse to 'wake up' the computer, and
    > next thing i know it sounds like gun shots going off and i see white flashes
    > inside the computer. Now the whole house smells like melted plastic.
    >
    > Any idea as to what actually blew up?

    This might sound obvious, have you tried taking the top of your computer
    and having a look? Generally when this sort of thing happens you'll see
    a capacitor or chip that has blown and bits of debris will be spread
    over the motherboard. The mainboard will also have scorch marks around
    the component that has blown.

    If it's blown up as loudly as you suggested I think you'll see
    immediately what's gone.

    Whatever it is though, it sounds like you might need a new motherboard
    and a decent power supply.

    Jason

    jc wrote:

    <Snip>

    > That's the odd part. Nothing looks damaged on the inside. I would guess that
    > it would almost have to be the power supply then? I had an Antec, but maybe
    > it wasn't powerful enough.

    In that case, get yourself a new PSU and try it out with the
    Motherboard. Probably the cheapest and quickest option to see if your
    system is still alive....

    How old was the Antec power supply? I don't know what the life span of
    PSU's is these days, however I guess they eventually wear out like every
    other component.

    --
    Regards,
    Jason

    To email replace nospam4me with blueyonder

    Probably the power supply unit and/or the motherboard.

    --
    DaveW

    JasonB wrote:
    > jc wrote:
    >
    >> So I sat down this morning, moved the mouse to 'wake up' the computer,
    >> and
    >> next thing i know it sounds like gun shots going off and i see white
    >> flashes
    >> inside the computer. Now the whole house smells like melted plastic.
    >>
    >> Any idea as to what actually blew up?
    >>

    > This might sound obvious, have you tried taking the top of your computer
    > and having a look? Generally when this sort of thing happens you'll see
    > a capacitor or chip that has blown and bits of debris will be spread
    > over the motherboard. The mainboard will also have scorch marks around
    > the component that has blown.
    >
    > If it's blown up as loudly as you suggested I think you'll see
    > immediately what's gone.
    >
    > Whatever it is though, it sounds like you might need a new motherboard
    > and a decent power supply.
    >
    > Jason

    I bet it was the PSU :)

    sooky grumper wrote:

    > I bet it was the PSU :)

    Yep, experience that once with compaq desktop thing
    I could see the flashing from where a sat in the living room
    New PSU - but I think the whole rig should have been send in as it hasn't
    been quite stable since
    Just small things

    - Peter

    jc wrote:
    >>How old was the Antec power supply? I don't know what the life span of
    >>PSU's is these days, however I guess they eventually wear out like every
    >>other component.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Regards,
    >>Jason
    >>

    > Jason,
    >
    > I built the system in January so it was only a few months old. It was only
    > 300w, so maybe I overloaded it (I have an Athlon XP2500).

    That should not cause an explosion. Flaky system performance (or lack of
    much of any performance) but not an explosion or damage of the sort
    you're talking about. An acquaintance of mine had a PSU go violently
    once and it shot a resistor our through the back fan grille (he said it
    sounded like a gunshot, too).

    If you determine your power supply blew take a look at
    www.pcpowerandcooling.com They make IMHO the best power supply in the
    business and don't B.S. the performance numbers like some of the "best" that
    some people here recommend. 5 year warranty which I have never seen anyone
    use... My 300 watt unit is pushing 5 years old now and it's still performs
    flawlessly with today's hardware. Buy a 500 watt model and be done with it
    for the next 5 years.

    Dgoner

    --
    "Memo to the folks in Silicon Valley: You will have good jobs for 20 more
    years. By 2020, though, computer chips will be cheaper than bubble-gum

Homebuilt Hardware Computer Systems