computer exploded (i mean that literally)

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Hardware
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
Share
April 14, 2004 7:13:21 PM

So I sat down this morning, moved the mouse to 'wake up' the computer, and
next thing i know it sounds like gun shots going off and i see white flashes
inside the computer. Now the whole house smells like melted plastic.

Any idea as to what actually blew up?

More about : computer exploded literally

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2004 7:13:22 PM

"jc" <jclayton23NOSPAM@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> So I sat down this morning, moved the mouse to 'wake up' the computer, and
> next thing i know it sounds like gun shots going off and i see white
flashes
> inside the computer. Now the whole house smells like melted plastic.

Khewel!
April 14, 2004 7:55:55 PM

> This might sound obvious, have you tried taking the top of your computer
> and having a look? Generally when this sort of thing happens you'll see
> a capacitor or chip that has blown and bits of debris will be spread
> over the motherboard. The mainboard will also have scorch marks around
> the component that has blown.
>
> If it's blown up as loudly as you suggested I think you'll see
> immediately what's gone.
>
> Whatever it is though, it sounds like you might need a new motherboard
> and a decent power supply.
>
> Jason

That's the odd part. Nothing looks damaged on the inside. I would guess that
it would almost have to be the power supply then? I had an Antec, but maybe
it wasn't powerful enough.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2004 7:57:43 PM

"jc" <jclayton23NOSPAM@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> So I sat down this morning, moved the mouse to 'wake up' the computer, and
> next thing i know it sounds like gun shots going off and i see white
flashes
> inside the computer. Now the whole house smells like melted plastic.
>
> Any idea as to what actually blew up?

I've seen power supplies do that. The last one took all connected drives
with it, though. :(  -Dave
April 14, 2004 8:24:36 PM

> How old was the Antec power supply? I don't know what the life span of
> PSU's is these days, however I guess they eventually wear out like every
> other component.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Jason

Jason,

I built the system in January so it was only a few months old. It was only
300w, so maybe I overloaded it (I have an Athlon XP2500).
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2004 8:32:58 PM

jc wrote:
> So I sat down this morning, moved the mouse to 'wake up' the computer, and
> next thing i know it sounds like gun shots going off and i see white flashes
> inside the computer. Now the whole house smells like melted plastic.
>
> Any idea as to what actually blew up?

This might sound obvious, have you tried taking the top of your computer
and having a look? Generally when this sort of thing happens you'll see
a capacitor or chip that has blown and bits of debris will be spread
over the motherboard. The mainboard will also have scorch marks around
the component that has blown.

If it's blown up as loudly as you suggested I think you'll see
immediately what's gone.

Whatever it is though, it sounds like you might need a new motherboard
and a decent power supply.

Jason
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2004 9:10:49 PM

jc wrote:

<Snip>

> That's the odd part. Nothing looks damaged on the inside. I would guess that
> it would almost have to be the power supply then? I had an Antec, but maybe
> it wasn't powerful enough.

In that case, get yourself a new PSU and try it out with the
Motherboard. Probably the cheapest and quickest option to see if your
system is still alive....

How old was the Antec power supply? I don't know what the life span of
PSU's is these days, however I guess they eventually wear out like every
other component.

--
Regards,
Jason

To email replace nospam4me with blueyonder
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2004 3:52:21 AM

Probably the power supply unit and/or the motherboard.

--
DaveW

"jc" <jclayton23NOSPAM@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> So I sat down this morning, moved the mouse to 'wake up' the computer, and
> next thing i know it sounds like gun shots going off and i see white
flashes
> inside the computer. Now the whole house smells like melted plastic.
>
> Any idea as to what actually blew up?

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2004 3:57:25 AM

JasonB wrote:
> jc wrote:
>
>> So I sat down this morning, moved the mouse to 'wake up' the computer,
>> and
>> next thing i know it sounds like gun shots going off and i see white
>> flashes
>> inside the computer. Now the whole house smells like melted plastic.
>>
>> Any idea as to what actually blew up?
>>

> This might sound obvious, have you tried taking the top of your computer
> and having a look? Generally when this sort of thing happens you'll see
> a capacitor or chip that has blown and bits of debris will be spread
> over the motherboard. The mainboard will also have scorch marks around
> the component that has blown.
>
> If it's blown up as loudly as you suggested I think you'll see
> immediately what's gone.
>
> Whatever it is though, it sounds like you might need a new motherboard
> and a decent power supply.
>
> Jason

I bet it was the PSU :)

a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2004 3:57:26 AM

sooky grumper wrote:

> I bet it was the PSU :)

Yep, experience that once with compaq desktop thing
I could see the flashing from where a sat in the living room
New PSU - but I think the whole rig should have been send in as it hasn't
been quite stable since
Just small things

- Peter
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2004 5:00:38 AM

jc wrote:
>>How old was the Antec power supply? I don't know what the life span of
>>PSU's is these days, however I guess they eventually wear out like every
>>other component.
>>
>>--
>>Regards,
>>Jason
>>

> Jason,
>
> I built the system in January so it was only a few months old. It was only
> 300w, so maybe I overloaded it (I have an Athlon XP2500).

That should not cause an explosion. Flaky system performance (or lack of
much of any performance) but not an explosion or damage of the sort
you're talking about. An acquaintance of mine had a PSU go violently
once and it shot a resistor our through the back fan grille (he said it
sounded like a gunshot, too).

a b B Homebuilt system
April 17, 2004 7:25:06 PM

If you determine your power supply blew take a look at
www.pcpowerandcooling.com They make IMHO the best power supply in the
business and don't B.S. the performance numbers like some of the "best" that
some people here recommend. 5 year warranty which I have never seen anyone
use... My 300 watt unit is pushing 5 years old now and it's still performs
flawlessly with today's hardware. Buy a 500 watt model and be done with it
for the next 5 years.

Dgoner

--
"Memo to the folks in Silicon Valley: You will have good jobs for 20 more
years. By 2020, though, computer chips will be cheaper than bubble-gum