New PC Noisy?

I have a new system (ASUS A7N... Deluxe, AMD 1700+, ATI 9600 Pro, 1gb RAM)
and I seem to be hearing a fan that speeds up and slows down constantly.
This especially happens when i'm pushing the pc (3d gaming, etc), is this
normal? Do pc's change fan speeds with need?

Thanks in advance.

In article <107r089bki4tiff@corp.supernews.com>, mfg@yomama.com says...
> I have a new system (ASUS A7N... Deluxe, AMD 1700+, ATI 9600 Pro, 1gb RAM)
> and I seem to be hearing a fan that speeds up and slows down constantly.
> This especially happens when i'm pushing the pc (3d gaming, etc), is this
> normal? Do pc's change fan speeds with need?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Asus has a technology called Q-Fan on many motherboards, such as the A7N8X, that
can speed up and slow down the CPU fan depending on temperature. In the BIOS setup
there is an option to disable this, so the fan will run at max speed and noise all
the time. Alternatively, the minimum speed can be raised. There are many CPU
heatsinks that are optimized for low noise and are much better than the stock AMD
supplied CPU cooler. If using the stock cooler and you isolate the noise to it,
then you might wish to get a lower noise cooler and continue to use the Q-Fan
feature. Zalman Tech has some nice models, if you can fit them on your
motherboard. Taisol fan-heat sinks are a good choice too.

If that is not it, then you may be hearing your power supply fan change speed with
load. This has become a common noise reducing feature. There is nothing that you
can do about it easily except to replace the power supply with a quieter and more
efficient version if you feel the need. The Seasonic "Super Tornado" 300W is an
excellent choice if you go this route. It will adjust fan speed too, but the
overall noise level is very low even at high load.

Latest posts