Virtual Memory !!

Hi I have 3 questions about Virtual memory.. in this artical they are
talking about window98!!
Any heelp would be very much appreciate it..

1)
In this artical the author saying the ration between RAM and Virtual
memory about 2:1???!!
What does that mean?? if I have a RAM of size 2M for example.. the the
virual memory should be 1M or 4M??

<quote>
The amount of hard drive space you allocate for virtual memory is
important. If you allocate too little, you will get "Out of Memory"
errors. If you find that you need to keep increasing the size of the
virtual memory, you probably are also finding that your system is
sluggish and accesses the hard drive constantly. In that case, you
should consider buying more RAM to keep the ratio between RAM and
virtual memory about 2:1. Some applications enjoy having lots of
virtual memory space but do not access it very much. In that case,
large paging files work well
</quote>

2) Also here the author saying if you want to improve the performance
then the
minimum and maximum size of the VM file identical??

What does that mean? and why.. I could not understand what he is
trying to say

<quote>
One trick that can improve the performance of virtual memory
(especially when large amounts of virtual memory are needed) is to
make the minimum and maximum sizes of the virtual memory file
identical. This forces the operating system to allocate the entire
paging file when you start the machine. That keeps the paging file
from having to grow while programs are running, which improves
performance. Many video applications recommend this technique to avoid
pauses while reading or writing video information between hard disk
and tape
</quote>

3) How can I control the VM in windowXP.

Thanks alot
10 answers Last reply
More about virtual memory

    "esara" <esara123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi I have 3 questions about Virtual memory.. in this artical they are
    > talking about window98!!
    > Any heelp would be very much appreciate it..
    >
    > 1)
    > In this artical the author saying the ration between RAM and Virtual
    > memory about 2:1???!!
    > What does that mean?? if I have a RAM of size 2M for example.. the the
    > virual memory should be 1M or 4M??

    Taking this literally, I would say 2 parts RAM to every 1 part VM. So that
    would mean 2MB of RAM is best paired w/ 1MB of VM (I'm not commenting on
    whether this is a good ratio, I have my own opinions, just explaining *his*
    thinking).

    > <quote>
    > The amount of hard drive space you allocate for virtual memory is
    > important. If you allocate too little, you will get "Out of Memory"
    > errors. If you find that you need to keep increasing the size of the
    > virtual memory, you probably are also finding that your system is
    > sluggish and accesses the hard drive constantly. In that case, you
    > should consider buying more RAM to keep the ratio between RAM and
    > virtual memory about 2:1. Some applications enjoy having lots of
    > virtual memory space but do not access it very much. In that case,
    > large paging files work well
    > </quote>
    >

    > 2) Also here the author saying if you want to improve the performance
    > then the
    > minimum and maximum size of the VM file identical??
    >
    > What does that mean? and why.. I could not understand what he is
    > trying to say

    By making them the same size, then once allocated, that's it. No more
    resizing will take place, thus no more performance hits from the resizing of
    that paging file, and far less likely to be fragmented. Frankly, overblown,
    the number of times the file is actually reallocated (expanded) is not that
    often, it's not as if this is happening constantly.

    > <quote>
    > One trick that can improve the performance of virtual memory
    > (especially when large amounts of virtual memory are needed) is to
    > make the minimum and maximum sizes of the virtual memory file
    > identical. This forces the operating system to allocate the entire
    > paging file when you start the machine. That keeps the paging file
    > from having to grow while programs are running, which improves
    > performance. Many video applications recommend this technique to avoid
    > pauses while reading or writing video information between hard disk
    > and tape
    > </quote>
    >

    > 3) How can I control the VM in windowXP.

    Best thing to do is get LOTS of RAM (1GB or more), then disable the paging
    file, which can be done from System Properties. (you can also change the max
    and min there).

    Please realize that this statement is going to draw the VM/paging file
    *experts* crazing, and we will shortly hear various cries as to why this is
    a bad idea, the usually litany. But as long as you have *sufficient*
    memory, you do not need a paging file! In fact, the best paging file is NO
    paging file. So if you're using XP and have gobs of RAM, and disable the
    paging file, all the paging file "futzing" magically goes PUFF! You can
    then completely forget about it, it's not worth spending two more seconds
    thought.

    Hmm, I think can hear them typing away already.

    HTH

    Jim

    > Thanks alot

    "esara" <esara123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi I have 3 questions about Virtual memory.. in this artical they are
    > talking about window98!!
    > Any heelp would be very much appreciate it..

    Well I think that article over-simplified the VM settings a bit. There is
    no magical number or magical formula. I have learned through years of
    experience that it is tough to get consumer grade Windows OS to use more
    than 512MB of memory, total (meaning physical RAM plus swap file). In fact,
    Windows 98 (&ME) will choke on 1GB of RAM, unless you tweak the registry a
    bit. Generally speaking, the more RAM installed, the smaller your swap file
    needs to be. Add enough RAM, and you might even be able to turn VM off.
    But then again, some really strange things can happen if your system runs
    out of memory. So it's not usually advisable to set your swap file really
    small or to turn off VM. You also have to consider hard drive space,
    especially if hard drive space is limited. For windows, it's best not to
    drop below 1GB of free hard drive space. If you are right AT 1GB of
    remaining hard drive space, cranking up the swap file to 1GB is not a good
    idea (for example).

    It's almost always a good idea to choose a rather "large" swap file and set
    the minimum and maximum sizes to the same number. For example, if you have
    128MB of RAM on Windows 98, you might want to set minimum 512MB and maximum
    512MB for a swap file. If you upgrade to 512MB of RAM, you migth be able to
    turn your swap file down to minimum/maximum of 256MB. So I don't know where
    they got the 2:1 ratio. Seems like someone just made that up out of thin
    air.

    In windows xp, the swap file is called a paging file. Start, control panel,
    system, advanced tab, performance settings, advanced tab, virtual memory.

    On a side note, it's always better to add more RAM than to depend too much
    on virtual memory. -Dave

    Thank you for responding.

    So Jim this will be the same senario as in the past with PIV on 400Mhz. FBS
    and using PC-133 SDARAM.

    I bought a ASUS P4C800 Motherboard with INTEL 875P Chipset ( called
    Canterwood, i think).

    The manual says on 800 Mhz FBS configuration 266/333/400 Mhz DDR can be
    used.

    esara wrote:
    > Hi I have 3 questions about Virtual memory.. in this artical they are
    > talking about window98!!
    > Any heelp would be very much appreciate it..
    >
    > 1)
    > In this artical the author saying the ration between RAM and Virtual
    > memory about 2:1???!!
    > What does that mean?? if I have a RAM of size 2M for example.. the the
    > virual memory should be 1M or 4M??
    >
    > <quote>
    > The amount of hard drive space you allocate for virtual memory is
    > important. If you allocate too little, you will get "Out of Memory"
    > errors. If you find that you need to keep increasing the size of the
    > virtual memory, you probably are also finding that your system is
    > sluggish and accesses the hard drive constantly. In that case, you
    > should consider buying more RAM to keep the ratio between RAM and
    > virtual memory about 2:1. Some applications enjoy having lots of
    > virtual memory space but do not access it very much. In that case,
    > large paging files work well
    > </quote>

    To me, this information sounds way out of date. It used to be
    recommended that swap space should be about twice the size of the
    physical memory (thus virtual memory is three times the size, virtual
    memory = physical + swap). This was all well and good when 32MB of RAM
    cost the same as a new 7-Series BMW, but now its pointless. If your
    machine swaps, buy more RAM.

    Personally, I'd only allocate a maximum of disk space the same size as
    my physical RAM just as an emergency measure until I could get to the shops.

    "esara" <esara123@hotmail.com> wrote...
    > Hi I have 3 questions about Virtual memory.. in this artical they are
    > talking about window98!!
    > Any heelp would be very much appreciate it..

    There are a LOT of opinions out there, and most of them are valid. Look through
    them and make a decision based on your needs.

    > 1)
    > In this artical the author saying the ration between RAM and Virtual
    > memory about 2:1???!!
    > What does that mean?? if I have a RAM of size 2M for example.. the the
    > virual memory should be 1M or 4M??

    If RAM is 2M, virtual memory is 4M, using this formula.

    > 2) Also here the author saying if you want to improve the performance
    > then the minimum and maximum size of the VM file identical??
    >
    > What does that mean? and why.. I could not understand what he is
    > trying to say

    The concept is valid. Instead of dynamically changing the size of the virtual
    memory file, a fixed-size file is created and remains in a single spot on the
    HD.

    In the Performance settings tab, you will see an option to change the default
    handling of the virtual memory. There are 2 settings involved: Initial size
    and Maximum size. In your example above, set them both to 2M, then reboot.

    > 3) How can I control the VM in windowXP.

    Control Panel | Performance and Maintenance | System | Advanced | Performance
    Options | Advanced | Virtual Memory

    Click the Custom Options, set the size you want, Apply, and reboot.

    If you have 1 GB of RAM, 1 GB of virtual memory should be adequate; with 512 MB,
    try 768 MB or 1 GB. With less than 512 MB, try 2.5 times actual RAM (instead of
    the 2x quoted above).

    On 15 Apr 2004 08:17:24 -0700 As truth resonates honesty
    esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote :

    >Hi I have 3 questions about Virtual memory.. in this artical they are
    >talking about window98!!
    >Any heelp would be very much appreciate it..
    >
    >1)
    >In this artical the author saying the ration between RAM and Virtual
    >memory about 2:1???!!
    Nothing.It is and always has ben bogus for win9X/ME.

    >What does that mean?? if I have a RAM of size 2M for example.. the the
    >virual memory should be 1M or 4M??
    Nope.See above.

    ><quote>
    >The amount of hard drive space you allocate for virtual memory is
    >important. If you allocate too little, you will get "Out of Memory"
    >errors. If you find that you need to keep increasing the size of the
    >virtual memory, you probably are also finding that your system is
    >sluggish and accesses the hard drive constantly. In that case, you
    >should consider buying more RAM to keep the ratio between RAM and
    >virtual memory about 2:1. Some applications enjoy having lots of
    >virtual memory space but do not access it very much. In that case,
    >large paging files work well
    ></quote>

    Only if you set a fixed maximum,which is never needed.

    >2) Also here the author saying if you want to improve the performance
    >then the
    >minimum and maximum size of the VM file identical??

    Incorrect.A maximum is not required.

    >What does that mean? and why.. I could not understand what he is
    >trying to say

    Click here,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/easy.html

    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote...

    > Please realize that this statement is going to draw the VM/paging file
    > *experts* crazing, and we will shortly hear various cries as to why this is
    > a bad idea, the usually litany. But as long as you have *sufficient*
    > memory, you do not need a paging file! In fact, the best paging file is NO
    > paging file. So if you're using XP and have gobs of RAM, and disable the
    > paging file, all the paging file "futzing" magically goes PUFF! You can
    > then completely forget about it, it's not worth spending two more seconds
    > thought.
    >
    > Hmm, I think can hear them typing away already.

    As always, "it depends"...

    If the computer is used only for e-mail, web surfing, and writing memos in Word,
    you may be right. However, if you use Photoshop a lot, and work on multiple pix
    and/or layers at a time, you can rapidly run out of RAM as Photoshop stores all
    that undo data. Granted, Photoshop also has some internal memory
    management/swapping ability, but that's probably beyond the scope of discussion
    for basic pagefile setup... :-)

    I have 1 GB RAM, and the pagefile is accessed occasionally (I can tell EXACTLY
    when, because it's on a separate, noisier HD [of equal performance as the boot
    drive]; at that's all that drive is used for, other than manual data backup).
    It doesn't happen often under light loads, but is pretty consistent when doing
    heavy Photoshop work...

    "John R Weiss" <jrweiss98155@.comNOSPAMcast.net> wrote in message
    > "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote...
    > >
    > > Please realize that this statement is going to draw the VM/paging file
    > > *experts* crazing, and we will shortly hear various cries as to why this
    is
    > > a bad idea, the usually litany. But as long as you have *sufficient*
    > > memory, you do not need a paging file! In fact, the best paging file is
    NO
    > > paging file. So if you're using XP and have gobs of RAM, and disable
    the
    > > paging file, all the paging file "futzing" magically goes PUFF! You can
    > > then completely forget about it, it's not worth spending two more
    seconds
    > > thought.
    > >
    > > Hmm, I think can hear them typing away already.
    >
    > As always, "it depends"...
    >
    > If the computer is used only for e-mail, web surfing, and writing memos in
    Word,
    > you may be right. However, if you use Photoshop a lot, and work on
    multiple pix
    > and/or layers at a time, you can rapidly run out of RAM as Photoshop
    stores all
    > that undo data. Granted, Photoshop also has some internal memory
    > management/swapping ability, but that's probably beyond the scope of
    discussion
    > for basic pagefile setup... :-)
    >
    > I have 1 GB RAM, and the pagefile is accessed occasionally (I can tell
    EXACTLY
    > when, because it's on a separate, noisier HD [of equal performance as the
    boot
    > drive]; at that's all that drive is used for, other than manual data
    backup).
    > It doesn't happen often under light loads, but is pretty consistent when
    doing
    > heavy Photoshop work...

    Thanx, John, you're absolutely right, Photoshop and similar memory hogging
    applications can easily exhaust RAM. That's why I always chose my words
    VERY carefully. If you're using such applications and they need more than
    the available RAM, then by definition, you do NOT have sufficient RAM!
    That's the definition of *sufficient* RAM, not needing more than you have!

    I'm being a bit nit-piky, I admit, but that's why the qualification of "it
    depends" does not apply. There may be a 1001 reasons that you do not have
    sufficient RAM, everything from Photoshop, to an OS that can't handle more
    than 512MB of RAM (Win98?), to "I can't afford it", if so, you don't
    qualify. If however, everything you do can fit into the available RAM
    (i.e., you have *sufficient* RAM), you do not need a paging file.

    Jim

    "Jim" <null@null.com> wrote...

    > Thanx, John, you're absolutely right, Photoshop and similar memory hogging
    > applications can easily exhaust RAM. That's why I always chose my words
    > VERY carefully. If you're using such applications and they need more than
    > the available RAM, then by definition, you do NOT have sufficient RAM!
    > That's the definition of *sufficient* RAM, not needing more than you have!

    I guess it's a matter of perspective...

    Since the OP asked even about the meaning of the suggested 2:1 pagefile:RAM
    ratio, I suspect he would not be happy with a setup where he found out
    incrementally that he didn't have enough RAM because another app would fail.
    That's one reason why general guidelines are useful for those trying to learn --
    they have a reasonable baseline for their current equipment when they can't
    readily throw in another couple sticks of RAM...
  10. i am having the same trouble and dont know what to do not clued up on computers just love playing om pogo game site but some of the games dont load are i det thrown out half way tho playing for no reason plz help and tell me what i can do i have windows xp home

Homebuilt Virtual Memory Memory Systems