Thermal Grease on Processor Chip

peter

I recently built a PC using a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 chip. The chip package
from Intel included the chip and a cooling fan which but it did not come
with any type of thermal grease to put between the chip and the fan.

Other processor chip cooling fans I've seen come with thermal grease. Is
there any reason why the Intel package does not and will the lack of
thermal grease cause any chip heat problems for me?

Peter

--
**Remove Xs to reply by e-mail**

You HAVE to use either a thermal pad or thermal grease or you'll fry the
CPU.

--
DaveW

Peter wrote:
> I recently built a PC using a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 chip. The chip package
> from Intel included the chip and a cooling fan which but it did not come
> with any type of thermal grease to put between the chip and the fan.
>
> Other processor chip cooling fans I've seen come with thermal grease. Is
> there any reason why the Intel package does not and will the lack of
> thermal grease cause any chip heat problems for me?
>
> Peter

check for a thermal pad on the back of the heat sink.

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 11:22:19 -0400 As truth resonates honesty Peter
<XXpmpmpmXX@mindspring.com> wrote :

>I recently built a PC using a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 chip. The chip package
>from Intel included the chip and a cooling fan which but it did not come
>with any type of thermal grease to put between the chip and the fan.
>
>Other processor chip cooling fans I've seen come with thermal grease. Is
>there any reason why the Intel package does not and will the lack of
>thermal grease cause any chip heat problems for me?
>
>Peter

There is no,"Real" need for thermal paste/compund if the bottom of the
HS is pretty flat and the HSF combo is a good one but it does help.You
can use any cheap brand from a computer shop.Do,"Not" get hyped into
paying for thermal compounds like,"Arctic Silver" and check your
running temps.
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
under load.
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Shep© has posted the correct answer. With so many computer
'experts' who don't even have basic knowledge, then a
universal response is to tell the naive they needed thermal
compound. Simple answer for those who could not be bothered
to learn about thermal conductivity.

Even without a heatsink, the Pentium will not burn up.
Amazing how Intel has had these safety features for decades
and still many don't even know this. An overheated pentium
will simply slow down so that heat does not damage the
processor.

Two points that a poster should have known. Thermal
compound is not necessary as Shep© posts. Processor will not
fry - despite so many urban myths.

DaveW wrote:
> You HAVE to use either a thermal pad or thermal grease or you'll
> fry the CPU.

Oh no you don't !
It is a very good idea, but you don't HAVE to use a thermal compound to
avoid frying the Intel CPU. In fact, you don't even need a HSF to avoid
frying it. Intel CPUs won't fry ! They refuse - point blank - to be fried.
If they start to get too hot then they just slow themselves down till they
are cool enough for normal operation.
Of course, you can't try this with an AMD chip and get away with it -
they'll just keep on getting hotter untill they burn out.
Why do you think Intel CPUs cost much more than AMD CPUs ?
Kevin.
P.S. Sorry to be so argumentative - this was not a personal attack.

DaveW <none@zero.org> wrote:
| You HAVE to use either a thermal pad or thermal grease or you'll fry
| the CPU.
|
| "Peter" <XXpmpmpmXX@mindspring.com> wrote in message
|| I recently built a PC using a 3.4GHz Pentium 4 chip. The chip
|| package from Intel included the chip and a cooling fan which but it
|| did not come with any type of thermal grease to put between the chip
|| and the fan.
|| Other processor chip cooling fans I've seen come with thermal
|| grease. Is there any reason why the Intel package does not and will
|| the lack of thermal grease cause any chip heat problems for me?
|| Peter
|| --
|| **Remove Xs to reply by e-mail**

TRENDING THREADS