I am going to network 2 pc`s together to share files , a printer and my
internet connection. I know how to link them up with a cable but was
wondering what exactly I would need for a wireless network. Do I need 2
wireless cards, 1 for each pc or do I just need 1 wireless card and a
router. Please help as I don`t know anything about wireless networks.

i just went through this with a friend of mine and then myself at the small
office i work so im no expert but i think i did finally sort it all out.
there are actually a few ways you can do it. you can just add a wireless
network card to each and run them in "ad hoc" mode OR you can connect a
wireless access point to a standard NIC in one and add a wireless NIC to the
other OR connect a wireless access point to your cable or dsl connection and
add wireless NICs to both PCs OR you can connect a wireless router to a
standard NIC in one and add a wireless NIC to the other. the router seems to
be the easiest to expand on later and most versatile, i think it's also the
best choice if you're sharing cable or dsl but if you're sharing dial up
then it might be trouble because all the wireless routers i saw were
wireless broadband routers and some if not all might cause problems during
setup if they don't detect that cable or dsl connection.

rpilgrim7448@nospam-msn.com wrote:
> On 15-Apr-2004, "anthony fidler" <anthony.fidler@ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>> I am going to network 2 pc`s together to share files , a printer and
>> my internet connection. I know how to link them up with a cable but
>> was wondering what exactly I would need for a wireless network. Do
>> I need 2 wireless cards, 1 for each pc or do I just need 1 wireless
>> card and a router. Please help as I don`t know anything about
>> wireless networks.
>
> You need a wireless router and 1 wireless adapter provided that one
> conputer can sit close enough to the router to plug it in to the
> network off the wireless router. That's the way I've done mine. One
> computer stays connected to the router.

That's me too.

Onliest problem I've had so far is the cable company suggesting I update the
firmware on my router.

Now I'm truly connected 24/7, not cut off at random intervals like before,
but now my wireless card don't know it's mother (the router)

You can get all you need at Wal-Mart. Get your NIC at a show or flea
market.

TFM®