PnP BIOS?? where is it

Hi I am reading about PCI buse and how it started and it works. In the
artical they saying that PCI came with the idea of Plug and Play (PnP)
and it is also mention what is going to happen when a sound card for
example inserted in PCI bus and after inseration that card, it is
mention the next thing will happen is

"The system BIOS initiates the PnP BIOS"

My question where is PnP BIOS located??

Any help would be very much apprciated. Thanks.
4 answers Last reply
More about bios

    esara wrote:
    > Hi I am reading about PCI buse and how it started and it works. In the
    > artical they saying that PCI came with the idea of Plug and Play (PnP)
    > and it is also mention what is going to happen when a sound card for
    > example inserted in PCI bus and after inseration that card, it is
    > mention the next thing will happen is
    >
    > "The system BIOS initiates the PnP BIOS"
    >
    > My question where is PnP BIOS located??
    >
    > Any help would be very much apprciated. Thanks.
    'PnP' refers to 'Plug and Play'
    PnP is an OPTION in the CMOS Setup screen.

    All bios firmware has PnP, AFAIK. In many OSes, like GNU/Linux, the OS
    kernel already handles all the resources for 'autonomic' devices (hard
    drives, CDroms, etc. which have a bios in them, and report their
    presence during the boot sequence, and are allowed to establish their
    own resources to run in the system). So, for GNU/Linux, we 'switch PnP
    off'.

    esara wrote:
    > My question where is PnP BIOS located??
    >
    > Any help would be very much apprciated. Thanks.

    There is no 'PnP BIOS'. PnP is an option located in the BIOS. It is
    recommended to deactivate it for W2K/WinXP and to activate it for
    Win98/SE/ME.

    RC

    Could you please tell me why it is recommended to Deactivate it for
    WinXp and 2k and to activate it for win98/ME. Why?? how can WinXP
    accept PnP devices then??
    thanks

    Roy Coorne <roy.spam.coorne@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<c5mvln$3j8hf$1@ID-16648.news.uni-berlin.de>...
    > esara wrote:
    > > My question where is PnP BIOS located??
    > >
    > > Any help would be very much apprciated. Thanks.
    >
    > There is no 'PnP BIOS'. PnP is an option located in the BIOS. It is
    > recommended to deactivate it for W2K/WinXP and to activate it for
    > Win98/SE/ME.
    >
    > RC

    On 16 Apr 2004 08:08:49 -0700 As truth resonates honesty
    esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote :

    >Could you please tell me why it is recommended to Deactivate it for
    >WinXp and 2k and to activate it for win98/ME. Why?? how can WinXP
    >accept PnP devices then??
    >thanks

    All versions of windows since win95b and early NT based O/S have been
    PnP aware.I've never yet had to,"Disable" the option in the bios.If
    you check the MS site ,"they" don't recommend it being switched off :/

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

Homebuilt BIOS PCI Systems