PnP BIOS?? where is it

Last response: in Systems
a b B Homebuilt system
April 15, 2004 4:40:18 PM

Hi I am reading about PCI buse and how it started and it works. In the
artical they saying that PCI came with the idea of Plug and Play (PnP)
and it is also mention what is going to happen when a sound card for
example inserted in PCI bus and after inseration that card, it is
mention the next thing will happen is

"The system BIOS initiates the PnP BIOS"

My question where is PnP BIOS located??

Any help would be very much apprciated. Thanks.

More about : pnp bios

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2004 1:39:55 AM

esara wrote:
> Hi I am reading about PCI buse and how it started and it works. In the
> artical they saying that PCI came with the idea of Plug and Play (PnP)
> and it is also mention what is going to happen when a sound card for
> example inserted in PCI bus and after inseration that card, it is
> mention the next thing will happen is
>
> "The system BIOS initiates the PnP BIOS"
>
> My question where is PnP BIOS located??
>
> Any help would be very much apprciated. Thanks.
'PnP' refers to 'Plug and Play'
PnP is an OPTION in the CMOS Setup screen.

All bios firmware has PnP, AFAIK. In many OSes, like GNU/Linux, the OS
kernel already handles all the resources for 'autonomic' devices (hard
drives, CDroms, etc. which have a bios in them, and report their
presence during the boot sequence, and are allowed to establish their
own resources to run in the system). So, for GNU/Linux, we 'switch PnP
off'.
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2004 3:43:18 AM

esara wrote:
> My question where is PnP BIOS located??
>
> Any help would be very much apprciated. Thanks.

There is no 'PnP BIOS'. PnP is an option located in the BIOS. It is
recommended to deactivate it for W2K/WinXP and to activate it for
Win98/SE/ME.

RC
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2004 12:08:49 PM

Could you please tell me why it is recommended to Deactivate it for
WinXp and 2k and to activate it for win98/ME. Why?? how can WinXP
accept PnP devices then??
thanks

Roy Coorne <roy.spam.coorne@gmx.net> wrote in message news:<c5mvln$3j8hf$1@ID-16648.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> esara wrote:
> > My question where is PnP BIOS located??
> >
> > Any help would be very much apprciated. Thanks.
>
> There is no 'PnP BIOS'. PnP is an option located in the BIOS. It is
> recommended to deactivate it for W2K/WinXP and to activate it for
> Win98/SE/ME.
>
> RC
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2004 11:06:27 PM

On 16 Apr 2004 08:08:49 -0700 As truth resonates honesty
esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote :

>Could you please tell me why it is recommended to Deactivate it for
>WinXp and 2k and to activate it for win98/ME. Why?? how can WinXP
>accept PnP devices then??
>thanks

All versions of windows since win95b and early NT based O/S have been
PnP aware.I've never yet had to,"Disable" the option in the bios.If
you check the MS site ,"they" don't recommend it being switched off :/

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de