Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Two Liteon drives have failed

Last response: in Systems
Share
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2004 4:17:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

This is the wierdest thing. My DVD drive refuses to recognize any
type of media -- DVD, DVR-R, Music CD, Data CD, CDR, CDRW. I put the
disk in, it spins a bit, I can here a buzzing noise inside the drive
and then nothing. When I click on the drive it acts like there is no
disk.

This would not be so strange if 4 months earlier my Liteon CDRW didn't
do the exact same thing.

As with my CDRW I changed cables,changed the slave-master settings,
placed them in a different computer (they still didn't work).

Both failures occurred after the drive was removed from one case and
put into another case during the course of an upgrade.

So I'm wondering if I manhandled the drives in some way. I don't
think I was rough with them.

Anyone have any experience like this? I'd RMA the drives but they are
so cheap now it hardly seems worth the effort. Lite-on drives get
good reviews but those reviews don't take longevity into account.

More about : liteon drives failed

Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2004 1:00:06 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:17:35 +0000, pan762 wrote:

> This is the wierdest thing. My DVD drive refuses to recognize any
> type of media -- DVD, DVR-R, Music CD, Data CD, CDR, CDRW. I put the
> disk in, it spins a bit, I can here a buzzing noise inside the drive
> and then nothing. When I click on the drive it acts like there is no
> disk.
>
When you put a known good cd in, it should spin and the light flash until
it's read the cd, then go out I believe. If it does this, the drive should
be good.

> This would not be so strange if 4 months earlier my Liteon CDRW didn't
> do the exact same thing.
>
> As with my CDRW I changed cables,changed the slave-master settings,
> placed them in a different computer (they still didn't work).
>
> Both failures occurred after the drive was removed from one case and
> put into another case during the course of an upgrade.
>
OS maybe. Or I saw a stealth virus cause files on a cd to disappear a few
years back. This was on WIn machines at work.

> So I'm wondering if I manhandled the drives in some way. I don't
> think I was rough with them.
>
Unless you dropped them, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

> Anyone have any experience like this? I'd RMA the drives but they are
> so cheap now it hardly seems worth the effort. Lite-on drives get
> good reviews but those reviews don't take longevity into account.

You could just be unlucky, but I think there's some other problem besides
the drives.

--
Abit KT7-Raid (KT133) Tbred B core CPU @2400MHz (24x100FSB)
http://mysite.verizon.net/res0exft/cpu.htm
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2004 1:52:36 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

<pan762@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:uu8u70tff9smlea1totde53e1j6d6eqsd7@4ax.com...
> This is the wierdest thing. My DVD drive refuses to recognize any
> type of media -- DVD, DVR-R, Music CD, Data CD, CDR, CDRW. I put the
> disk in, it spins a bit, I can here a buzzing noise inside the drive
> and then nothing. When I click on the drive it acts like there is no
> disk.
>
> This would not be so strange if 4 months earlier my Liteon CDRW didn't
> do the exact same thing.
>
> As with my CDRW I changed cables,changed the slave-master settings,
> placed them in a different computer (they still didn't work).
>
> Both failures occurred after the drive was removed from one case and
> put into another case during the course of an upgrade.
>
> So I'm wondering if I manhandled the drives in some way. I don't
> think I was rough with them.
>
> Anyone have any experience like this? I'd RMA the drives but they are
> so cheap now it hardly seems worth the effort. Lite-on drives get
> good reviews but those reviews don't take longevity into account.
>
>
I had a new Lite-on from Newegg die after about 3 weeks recently as well.
The drive doesn't spin, just keeps saying "insert disk into drive".
RMA'd...
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 16, 2004 10:17:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

I can think of two things that can damage CDROM/DVD drives.

The first one is the power supply. If the power is not constantly
sufficient then the fluctuating power could be damaging the drives.
This can also damage hard drives, etc.

Another thing is heat. Evacuating the heat created by those drives is
highly beneficial. A CDRW and a DVDRW both use heat to write to the
media.

I only use one drive to play games. It is an Asus CDROM drive. It is
a 56X CDROM This is the longest running optical drive I have ever
had.

This is a design issue, where it is better to have a well designed PC
case with excellent airflow. A main 120mm exhaust fan is ideal.
Never put the optical drives on top of each other space them out. If
you have 4 drive bays for optical drives try installing one or two of
those hard drive cooler kits that blows air up or pulls air out or
some such thing. Even 2 little 4 cm fans that blow in or out would be
nice.

If you are constantly ruining drives it might not be the drives that
are bad, at least not initially.

>This is the wierdest thing. My DVD drive refuses to recognize any
>type of media -- DVD, DVR-R, Music CD, Data CD, CDR, CDRW. I put the
>disk in, it spins a bit, I can here a buzzing noise inside the drive
>and then nothing. When I click on the drive it acts like there is no
>disk.
>
>This would not be so strange if 4 months earlier my Liteon CDRW didn't
>do the exact same thing.
>
>As with my CDRW I changed cables,changed the slave-master settings,
>placed them in a different computer (they still didn't work).
>
>Both failures occurred after the drive was removed from one case and
>put into another case during the course of an upgrade.
>
>So I'm wondering if I manhandled the drives in some way. I don't
>think I was rough with them.
>
>Anyone have any experience like this? I'd RMA the drives but they are
>so cheap now it hardly seems worth the effort. Lite-on drives get
>good reviews but those reviews don't take longevity into account.
>
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 17, 2004 9:13:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt (More info?)

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:17:00 -0500, Last Boy Scout
<LastBoyScout@whitehouse.gov> wrote:

>
>I can think of two things that can damage CDROM/DVD drives.
>
>The first one is the power supply. If the power is not constantly
>sufficient then the fluctuating power could be damaging the drives.
>This can also damage hard drives, etc.

My original power supply was an antec model that came with the antec
case. The unit worked flawlessly while in this case. Recently it
was moved to a new case with a Vantec Ion 400W power supply. I chose
this ps unit because of the price and postive reviews, particularlly
by Maximum PC.

I have not observed any indications that would suggest the power
supply is bad. I haven't used a multimeter to check, but the
monitoring software shows all "rails" are steady and within tolerence.

>Another thing is heat. Evacuating the heat created by those drives is
>highly beneficial. A CDRW and a DVDRW both use heat to write to the
>media.

This may have been an issue, especially in the older case.

>I only use one drive to play games. It is an Asus CDROM drive. It is
>a 56X CDROM This is the longest running optical drive I have ever
>had.

I'm not much of a gamer myself.

>This is a design issue, where it is better to have a well designed PC
>case with excellent airflow. A main 120mm exhaust fan is ideal.
>Never put the optical drives on top of each other space them out. If
>you have 4 drive bays for optical drives try installing one or two of
>those hard drive cooler kits that blows air up or pulls air out or
>some such thing. Even 2 little 4 cm fans that blow in or out would be
>nice.

My new case is large and has good airflow. I'm running four fans 80mm
fans (two intake, two exhaust), not including the CPU and the power
supply fans ( power supply has 2 fans).

I've ordered a replacement and will take the advice about not stacking
them.

After I removed the drive I noticed that when I tilt it a faint rattle
can be heard, as if there is a loss piece in the works. That's
probably caused the problem.

Thanks for the help



"We do not know how the Creator created, [or] what processes He used,
for He used processes which are not now operating anywhere in the natural
universe. This is why we refer to creation as special creation. We cannot
discover by scientific investigation anything about the creative processes
used by the Creator." Duane Gish Evolution, The Fossils Say No!
!