Help Transferring Data from Old to New Hard Drive?

Hello:

I have a WD 80GB hard drive in my computer at the moment and I'm
running out of room on it. This drive has 2 partitions on it.

I'd like to buy a new and much bigger HD (definitely another WD) and
would like to be able to copy or transfer all the data from the old HD
to the new drive. I mean OS and all. Is it possible? If yes, is there
an easy to do this?

My computer is 3 years old - AMD Athalon 1.2 GHz with 512MB memory.
Running WinXP and WinME (dual boot)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
4 answers Last reply
More about help transferring data hard drive

    There is a program "Norton Ghost" that does this. It would copy the HDD
    exactly onto the new one, except it would allow you to resize. Where to get
    it, I dunno. I think it comes with systemworks, a nice lil package to have
    anyhow.

    --Don

    "Lucky Dog" <luckydog@home.com> wrote in message
    > Hello:
    >
    > I have a WD 80GB hard drive in my computer at the moment and I'm
    > running out of room on it. This drive has 2 partitions on it.
    >
    > I'd like to buy a new and much bigger HD (definitely another WD) and
    > would like to be able to copy or transfer all the data from the old HD
    > to the new drive. I mean OS and all. Is it possible? If yes, is there
    > an easy to do this?
    >
    > My computer is 3 years old - AMD Athalon 1.2 GHz with 512MB memory.
    > Running WinXP and WinME (dual boot)
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

    Lucky Dog said this...

    > Hello:
    >
    > I have a WD 80GB hard drive in my computer at the moment and I'm
    > running out of room on it. This drive has 2 partitions on it.
    >
    > I'd like to buy a new and much bigger HD (definitely another WD) and
    > would like to be able to copy or transfer all the data from the old HD
    > to the new drive. I mean OS and all. Is it possible? If yes, is there
    > an easy to do this?

    Check out the WD support site. I believe they have a free tool available to
    do a full copy as you require.

    --
    º~ dªv¡d ~º

    "Donald McMorris - Ospitare International" <newsalias@ospitare.net>
    wrote in news:YzLfc.58057$M3.19344@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

    > There is a program "Norton Ghost" that does this. It would copy the
    > HDD exactly onto the new one, except it would allow you to resize.
    > Where to get it, I dunno. I think it comes with systemworks, a nice
    > lil package to have anyhow.
    >
    > --Don
    >

    > "Lucky Dog" <luckydog@home.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello:
    >>
    >> I have a WD 80GB hard drive in my computer at the moment and I'm
    >> running out of room on it. This drive has 2 partitions on it.
    >>
    >> I'd like to buy a new and much bigger HD (definitely another WD) and
    >> would like to be able to copy or transfer all the data from the old
    >> HD to the new drive. I mean OS and all. Is it possible? If yes, is
    >> there an easy to do this?
    >>
    >> My computer is 3 years old - AMD Athalon 1.2 GHz with 512MB memory.
    >> Running WinXP and WinME (dual boot)
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

    I just used Norton Ghost 2002 (part of Norton System Works 2002) to do
    exactly that. Created an image of the partition to cdrs & restored back
    onto the new drive. Check around - you can probably pick up an old copy
    of NSW 2002 for a couple of bucks now.

    Tom

    Thanks to Donald, Groove and Tmana for your help. I really appreciate
    the time you took to reply to me. :-)

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:51:43 GMT, Tmana <Tmana@noway.com> wrote:

    >"Donald McMorris - Ospitare International" <newsalias@ospitare.net>
    >wrote in news:YzLfc.58057$M3.19344@twister.nyroc.rr.com:
    >
    >> There is a program "Norton Ghost" that does this. It would copy the
    >> HDD exactly onto the new one, except it would allow you to resize.
    >> Where to get it, I dunno. I think it comes with systemworks, a nice
    >> lil package to have anyhow.
    >>
    >> --Don
    >>

    >> "Lucky Dog" <luckydog@home.com> wrote in message
    >>> Hello:
    >>>
    >>> I have a WD 80GB hard drive in my computer at the moment and I'm
    >>> running out of room on it. This drive has 2 partitions on it.
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to buy a new and much bigger HD (definitely another WD) and
    >>> would like to be able to copy or transfer all the data from the old
    >>> HD to the new drive. I mean OS and all. Is it possible? If yes, is
    >>> there an easy to do this?
    >>>
    >>> My computer is 3 years old - AMD Athalon 1.2 GHz with 512MB memory.
    >>> Running WinXP and WinME (dual boot)
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
    >>

    >I just used Norton Ghost 2002 (part of Norton System Works 2002) to do
    >exactly that. Created an image of the partition to cdrs & restored back
    >onto the new drive. Check around - you can probably pick up an old copy
    >of NSW 2002 for a couple of bucks now.
    >
    >Tom

Homebuilt Western Digital Hard Drives Systems