lost cd & zip drive in win98

i was recently updating some drivers on several systems in our small office
and accidentally started the via driver update on a system which has a
nvidia motheboard. the only damage it seemed to do before it errored out was
elminate the cd and zip drives. i'm not having any luck getting them back,
tried running the nvida driver update and searching for new hardware but no
change. how do i get those drives back?
4 answers Last reply
More about lost drive win98

    In older windows versions, I think your best bet would be to do an OS
    overlay (9X) or a repair (NT). In ME, XP, and maybe 2000 (not sure) utilize
    the system restore! If it is disabled, an overlay/repair would definately
    fix it, and you shouldnt lose anything.

    Also, in 9x, you can probably try (on a boot disk) scanreg /restore, and
    restore a previous copy of the registry (from like a week ago).

    --Don
    "Wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > i was recently updating some drivers on several systems in our small
    office
    > and accidentally started the via driver update on a system which has a
    > nvidia motheboard. the only damage it seemed to do before it errored out
    was
    > elminate the cd and zip drives. i'm not having any luck getting them back,
    > tried running the nvida driver update and searching for new hardware but
    no
    > change. how do i get those drives back?

    On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 06:05:56 GMT As truth resonates honesty
    "Wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote :

    >i was recently updating some drivers on several systems in our small office
    >and accidentally started the via driver update on a system which has a
    >nvidia motheboard. the only damage it seemed to do before it errored out was
    >elminate the cd and zip drives. i'm not having any luck getting them back,
    >tried running the nvida driver update and searching for new hardware but no
    >change. how do i get those drives back?

    If a problem is less than 5 days old in win98 then restart the system
    repeatedly pressing the F8 key and choose Command prompt only Dos or
    restart in Msdos mode and type scanreg/restore and try an older
    reg(cab file)backup,however you may have to re-install some programs
    and user changes if they were installed after this date.
    You can type just scanreg and say,"Yes" if you want to make a fresh
    registry back up.
    You can then also type
    scanreg/fix and then scanreg/opt to fix and compact the registry.You
    can type win or exit from Msdos mode to get back to windows.
    You can use the free WRP program off here to back up the registry as
    well as it saves more files.
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
    HTH :O)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de

    thanks, forgot all about scanreg restore, that did the trick.

    On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:41:42 GMT As truth resonates honesty
    "Wooducoodu" <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote :

    >thanks, forgot all about scanreg restore, that did the trick.

    Always worth a shot.
    TIP:
    Install the free WRP,
    http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/freeprog.html
    Once setup make a shortcut on the desktop.Then refresh it's reg backup
    before making,"Any" changes to the system.That way you know you have a
    good reg backup :)
    Don't have it load/refresh on bootup though.
    HTH :)

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    email shepATpartyheld.de