Monitor turns off on its own, then won't turn on

This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):

- I turn on the monitor
- The light goes on
- I turn on the computer
- It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
- Monitor flashes briefly
- Then it turns off.

It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't power on
until after one minute or so.

I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for about
one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it usually works.
However, this last time I had to do it twice.

Bad circuitry?
8 answers Last reply
More about monitor turns turn

    >This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):
    >
    >- I turn on the monitor
    >- The light goes on
    >- I turn on the computer
    >- It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
    >- Monitor flashes briefly
    >- Then it turns off.
    >
    >It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't power on
    >until after one minute or so.
    >
    >I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for about
    >one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it usually works.
    >However, this last time I had to do it twice.
    >
    >Bad circuitry?

    Does that happen if you tap F5 at startup and enter safe mode? If not
    it's most likely a driver problem. Go to Device Manager, delete the
    video card(not disable) and reboot. That should straighten it out.

    The bios screen doesn't even post before the monitor shuts off. That's
    why I think it's the circuitry. But it does flicker for just a second.

    Perhaps the video card is sending something abnormal and the monitor
    shuts off by way of a self-protection mechanism?

    <monitorhelp> wrote in message news:9rednaY6Ke_-LBzdRVn2sQ@giganews.com...
    > This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):
    >
    > - I turn on the monitor
    > - The light goes on
    > - I turn on the computer
    > - It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
    > - Monitor flashes briefly
    > - Then it turns off.
    >
    > It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't power on
    > until after one minute or so.
    >
    > I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for about
    > one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it usually works.
    > However, this last time I had to do it twice.
    >
    > Bad circuitry?

    If possible, try running that monitor off another computer or even a
    notebook. Kind of sounds like the power supply in the monitor might be on
    it's way out though. -Dave

    "Andrew J" <ajpk3@hotmail.comremove> wrote in message

    > >This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):
    > >
    > >- I turn on the monitor
    > >- The light goes on
    > >- I turn on the computer
    > >- It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
    > >- Monitor flashes briefly
    > >- Then it turns off.
    > >
    > >It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't power on
    > >until after one minute or so.
    > >
    > >I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for about
    > >one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it usually works.
    > >However, this last time I had to do it twice.
    > >
    > >Bad circuitry?
    >
    > Does that happen if you tap F5 at startup and enter safe mode? If not
    > it's most likely a driver problem. Go to Device Manager, delete the
    > video card(not disable) and reboot. That should straighten it out.

    Not likely to be a driver problem as it doesn't get as far as Windows.

    As it doesn't seem to be booting properly, I'm not sure it's anything to do
    with the monitor. I would guess at the PSU in the PC being flakey, it might
    be worth trying another one in it, if you have one avilable.

    HTH
    SteveH

    iiyama monitor with both BNC inputs and a VGA socket ?

    If yes, looks to be quite common.
    Try the other set of connectors instead.

    <monitorhelp> a écrit dans le message news:
    9rednaY6Ke_-LBzdRVn2sQ@giganews.com...
    > This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):
    >
    > - I turn on the monitor
    > - The light goes on
    > - I turn on the computer
    > - It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
    > - Monitor flashes briefly
    > - Then it turns off.
    >
    > It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't power on
    > until after one minute or so.
    >
    > I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for about
    > one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it usually works.
    > However, this last time I had to do it twice.
    >
    > Bad circuitry?

    DNG DING DING !! WINNER! WE HAVE A WINNER!!

    But I've had it like this for years. Main reason I went to BNC was
    because of the newer nVidia detenator drivers / iiyama refresh rate bug
    (but I think that's fixed now). And sure enough, I left the old vga
    cable connected. I'll try with just one cable. Thanks.

    Aldo Larrabiata wrote:

    > iiyama monitor with both BNC inputs and a VGA socket ?
    >
    > If yes, looks to be quite common. Try the other set of connectors
    > instead.
    >

    > <monitorhelp> a écrit dans le message news:
    > 9rednaY6Ke_-LBzdRVn2sQ@giganews.com...
    >
    >> This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):
    >>
    >> - I turn on the monitor - The light goes on - I turn on the
    >> computer - It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
    >> - Monitor flashes briefly - Then it turns off.
    >>
    >> It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't
    >> power on until after one minute or so.
    >>
    >> I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for
    >> about one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it
    >> usually works. However, this last time I had to do it twice.
    >>
    >> Bad circuitry?

    iiyama monitor with both BNC inputs and a VGA socket ?

    If yes, looks to be quite common.
    Try the other set of connectors instead.

    <monitorhelp> a écrit dans le message news:
    9rednaY6Ke_-LBzdRVn2sQ@giganews.com...
    > This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):
    >
    > - I turn on the monitor
    > - The light goes on
    > - I turn on the computer
    > - It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
    > - Monitor flashes briefly
    > - Then it turns off.
    >
    > It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't power on
    > until after one minute or so.
    >
    > I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for about
    > one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it usually works.
    > However, this last time I had to do it twice.
    >
    > Bad circuitry?

    Well, I tried that and it's still turning off. Tomorrow I will try a
    different computer. Could be the video card.

    Aldo Larrabiata wrote:
    > iiyama monitor with both BNC inputs and a VGA socket ?
    >
    > If yes, looks to be quite common. Try the other set of connectors
    > instead.
    >

    > <monitorhelp> a écrit dans le message news:
    > 9rednaY6Ke_-LBzdRVn2sQ@giganews.com...
    >
    >> This has happened three days in a row (in the morning):
    >>
    >> - I turn on the monitor - The light goes on - I turn on the
    >> computer - It sends a "sync" signal right before it loads the bios
    >> - Monitor flashes briefly - Then it turns off.
    >>
    >> It does NOT go into sleep mode, it simply shuts off. And won't
    >> power on until after one minute or so.
    >>
    >> I must boot down the computer, unplug the monitor power cable for
    >> about one minute. Then connect power, turn on monitor, then it
    >> usually works. However, this last time I had to do it twice.
    >>
    >> Bad circuitry?

Homebuilt Monitors Power Systems