Strange Smell from Computer?

I recently got a new video card and since then I have had a strange smell
from my pc. It is kindof like strong odor of plastic, but it also could be
dust that has gotten hot/burned and is giving off a smell. It IS strongest
when I put my nose by the new vid card. Could it just be breaking it in?

The smell is strongest when I first start up the comp, but it stays around
pretty much the whole time it's on. There isn't any over heating going on,
I have checked that. It is coming from my computer (there's no where else
it could be from). Everything with the computer is working fine.

I really feel weird about asking a silly question like this, but have any
others of you ever had a weird smell coming out of the computer?
6 answers Last reply
More about strange smell computer

    Mista Fadedglory wrote:

    > I really feel weird about asking a silly question like this, but have any
    > others of you ever had a weird smell coming out of the computer?

    Only when the dog's arse is next to the PSU's input.

    Mista Fadedglory wrote:
    > I recently got a new video card and since then I have had a strange
    > smell from my pc. It is kindof like strong odor of plastic, but it
    > also could be dust that has gotten hot/burned and is giving off a
    > smell. It IS strongest when I put my nose by the new vid card.
    > Could it just be breaking it in?
    >
    > The smell is strongest when I first start up the comp, but it stays
    > around pretty much the whole time it's on. There isn't any over
    > heating going on, I have checked that. It is coming from my computer
    > (there's no where else it could be from). Everything with the
    > computer is working fine.
    >
    > I really feel weird about asking a silly question like this, but have
    > any others of you ever had a weird smell coming out of the computer?

    That's common with new components. See if it goes away within a week or so.

    Dead mouse inside my son's computer smelt pretty bad

    trudge

    Mista Fadedglory wrote:
    > I recently got a new video card and since then I have had a strange smell
    > from my pc. It is kindof like strong odor of plastic, but it also could be
    > dust that has gotten hot/burned and is giving off a smell. It IS strongest
    > when I put my nose by the new vid card. Could it just be breaking it in?
    >
    > The smell is strongest when I first start up the comp, but it stays around
    > pretty much the whole time it's on. There isn't any over heating going on,
    > I have checked that. It is coming from my computer (there's no where else
    > it could be from). Everything with the computer is working fine.
    >
    > I really feel weird about asking a silly question like this, but have any
    > others of you ever had a weird smell coming out of the computer?

    Well, it has been a week, and you must still be running. I do NOT
    tolerate any weird smells in my computers, as in my automobiles,
    motorcycles, and kitchen appliances. Weird smells mean that something
    is getting hot!

    Does your new Video card have extra input of power, from the PSU? If
    so, are you certain that your PSU provides enough power for all the
    needs of your computer?

    Here is the wattage calculator for computer PSU
    and, you need to assure that the PSU actually puts out the advertised
    power wattage (most are 20% to 40% over rated!).
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    My take on it is that you MIGHT have put in a 1.3volt AGP card, into the
    AGP slot on a computer board that is older, and provides a lot more
    voltage (3.3V?) to the AGP card? That would over heat the regulators,
    and, possibly, other circuitry on the AGP card, causing the plastic to
    'outgas' and can lead to early failure!

    You NEED to check the specs for the mainboard and for the AGP video
    card, and MAKE SURE they match up!

    Patrick wrote:

    > Here is the wattage calculator for computer PSU
    > and, you need to assure that the PSU actually puts out the advertised
    > power wattage (most are 20% to 40% over rated!).
    > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

    Thanks for the link. :)

    > > Here is the wattage calculator for computer PSU
    > > and, you need to assure that the PSU actually puts out the advertised
    > > power wattage (most are 20% to 40% over rated!).
    > > http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
    >
    > Thanks for the link. :)

    Some interesting addition!

    184 watts + 75 watts for FX graphics card = 281 watts

    375 watts + 4 watts for network card = 380 watts

    380 watts + 5 watts for a USB device = 387watts

    Adam S

Homebuilt Graphics Cards Computer Systems