Self-Assembling Chips Could Push Production Limits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
First we have self repairing nano circuitry demoed last year, then those little atom bots that continually add to themselves to make themselves more efficient, now we have self building computer chips. This does mean our cyber overlords are nearing completion!

All hail the Oligarchy of Steel! >_>

f-14

Distinguished
tick tock and moore's law.
god forbid that this process gets patented and stolen by apple, samsung, blah blah blah kevin parrish and douglas perry will have a collective apoplexy with their communist/borg approach to technology.

had to tweak their noses, they do deserve it.

supall

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2011
Moore's law continues...!

I'm starting to think MIT is controlled by some sort of complex AI that is steering the course to robot domination with all of their inventions.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Now all we need to do is engineer a bacterium to poop out this stuff. Hmmm, didn't Michael Crichton already describe something like this?[/citation]

Last year or so, a group of researchers got some algae specie similar to Coccolithophore to build a microchip die into their shells. Once the algae dies off, you harvest the shells.

I wonder if calcium compounds are going to affect the transistors though.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]MaxTesla[/nom]Skynet Skynet SkynetWe are all going to die.[/citation]

What the frack is with people making these idiotic claims that computers are going to take over and kill us?
Oh right... its a byproduct of BAD hollywood movies that deal in fantasy and not science.

For the love of man people, show some capacity for critical thinking and stop projecting movies into reality.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]supall[/nom]Moore's law continues...!I'm starting to think MIT is controlled by some sort of complex AI that is steering the course to robot domination with all of their inventions.[/citation]

Lol...
Moore's law is nothing more than a business model that caters to capitalism and profits... apart from that, it has NOTHING to do with our technical capability or efficiency because we already had the ability to produce much more powerful, faster, fully upgradeable, extremely efficient computers since (at least) 1997.

I'm amazed at how people have the capacity to think that what we see in the market today (planned obsolescence) is the 'best' what we can do (far from it).

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
You know where this is all going to end up?

stargate-replicator.jpg

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]urban legend[/nom]OK but didn't AMD go fully automated (production) with the FX-Bulldozer.?see where that got them..[/citation]

That wasnt because of the automation, thats all due to the poor design.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]deksman[/nom]What the frack is with people making these idiotic claims that computers are going to take over and kill us?Oh right... its a byproduct of BAD hollywood movies that deal in fantasy and not science.For the love of man people, show some capacity for critical thinking and stop projecting movies into reality.[/citation]
Which is exactly what I'd expect a malicious a.i. to tell us.

G

Deksman . . . if you can't tell we're being sarcastic and making jest, I think you should be sacrificed to the cyberlords. Srsly. Especially after going through the trouble to downrate everyone who made such comments, really man.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]JerryC[/nom]That wasnt because of the automation, thats all due to the poor design.[/citation]It's really not a horrible design, it just isn't ideal for typical consumer usage. It has its strengths in other markets. Although even in the PC arena, with some tweaking it is already much better. Piledriver plus L3 and higher clocks would give the FX lineup quite a decent boost over existing BD chips.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
[citation][nom]TeholHi[/nom]Deksman . . . if you can't tell we're being sarcastic and making jest, I think you should be sacrificed to the cyberlords. Srsly. Especially after going through the trouble to downrate everyone who made such comments, really man.[/citation]

I'm sick and tired of listening and reading those types of comments from people because they only do more harm than good (even if its meant as a joke).

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Well didn't Ray Kurzweil say something about some point of time in the future, which he calls the singularity, when the most powerful supercomputer will be fully designed and built by the previous most powerful supercomputer, and this process will then keep repeating in a runaway loop?

Status
Not open for further replies.