I haven't been at Tom's for a very, very long time, so many of you might not know who I am...
Well, I recently updated my Windows 7 x64 Ultimate to SP1 (as of about half an hour ago), and I've had one noticeable problem: my sound doesn't work.
This means that unfortunately, I cannot hear the sound of a Ferrari 458 Italia starting up as I log in, and even more so I cannot blast Rush louder than a sonic boom.
Well, here's the deal: Windows 7 reports to me that there are no input or output sound devices installed. So, I go into device manager. Device manager tells me that "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The drivers may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" for the audio devices (HDMI) on my ATI Radeon HD 5700s AND my onboard Realtek ALC889, along with "Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers". I uninstalled the driver with device manager and restarted. They showed up again, with code 39. I tried updating the drivers with windows update. Nothing. I installed drivers from the Gigabyte website. Nothing. Still that code 39 shows up. I even tried a "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" registry key fix. That didn't work either.
I tried uninstalling SP1 and trying the aforementioned fixes, and nothing. Same issue. Reinstalled SP1, and same issue still! Somewhere along the line, "Microsoft Trusted Audio Drivers" stopped showing up in computer management.
I would do a system restore, BUT the most recent backup was in december 2010, since restore points have been disabled for some strange reason. Out of desperation (not being able to hear "The Fifth Order of Angels"), I tried a system restore, but that failed since I don't have enough space on my boot disk (an 80 gig ssd).
Even more intriguingly, my creative fatal1ty USB headset (older one) works fine. I get sound in and out through that guy. It's just the 5770s and the ALC889.
I decided I'm going to wait this out. If I don't see a hotfix in the next month, that's it. I'm reimaging or reinstalling.
Otherwise, do you have any input with regard to this matter? I'm going to test the sound card from a live cd and see if that does anything, but I'm more than confident the ALC889 is in good working order.
I had a similar problem. When I updated win 7 SP 1 on my Zotac Ion machine, the HDMI video works fine, but the audio is not. If I flip the amp off and on, the sound pops on for a few seconds and then stops again. Rolling back to pre SP1 fixes the problem.
Yeah, for some reason system restore was disabled. The only backup I have is a system image, which was deleted.
Either way, I decided to reinstall. My partitions on the SSD will be aligned, and all the junk that autodesk left on my computer will be gone. Plus, I can reset the blocks in the SSD so it will get faster.