Hawk

A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)

Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
Netscape, so I am still looking.

Regards, hawk

In article <1085aq7ha17bj16@corp.supernews.com>, hawk@spamex.com says...
> A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
> to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
> known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
> software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
> a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
> choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)
>
> Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
> features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
> downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
> Netscape, so I am still looking.
>
> Regards, hawk

I agree completely about Product Activation. I will not succumb to
Microsoft XP or Symmantec.

Sorry, no advice on an email scanner that works with Netscape. Maybe it
is time change email programs.

ACE Utilities is a good alternative to Norton Utilities/System Works.

BYE BYE Norton.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:22:32 -0700 As truth resonates honesty hawk
<hawk@spamex.com> wrote :

>A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
>to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
>known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
>software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
>a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
>choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)
>
>Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
>features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
>downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
>Netscape, so I am still looking.
>
>Regards, hawk

I've used and recommend the free AVG for years,
http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/secure.html
along with other free protection systems.
HTH :)

--
Free Windows/PC help,
email shepATpartyheld.de

Hawk

Well, AVG doesn't provide E-Mail scanning for Netscape. What E-mail
client do you use?

Regards, hawk

Shep© wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:22:32 -0700 As truth resonates honesty hawk
> <hawk@spamex.com> wrote :
>

>>A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
>>to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
>>known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
>>software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
>>a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
>>choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)
>>
>>Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
>>features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
>>downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
>>Netscape, so I am still looking.
>>
>>Regards, hawk
>

> I've used and recommend the free AVG for years,
> http://www.geocities.com/sheppola/secure.html
> along with other free protection systems.
> HTH :)

How about the corporate edition, Symantec A/V? I'm not a Symantec fan.
Though bloated, it works very reliably. It's not the same as the home
a/v product. No activation. But they only sell it 5 packs or more, I
believe.

hawk wrote:

> A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New
> Feature" to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software.
> Otherwise known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more
> copies of the software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I
> refuse to support a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really
> don't have a choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)
>
> Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
> features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
> downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
> Netscape, so I am still looking.
>
> Regards, hawk

Stacey

hawk wrote:

> A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
> to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
> known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
> software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
> a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
> choice with Win XP,

Yes you do, switch to linux and then you don't have to worry about AV
software either! :) I'd never use windows in an enviroment that is
hostile anyway, too many security/virus/worm issues. The windows machine I
have isn't configured to access the internet.
--

Stacey

graham

"Peter Piper" <peterpiper737@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <1085aq7ha17bj16@corp.supernews.com>, hawk@spamex.com says...
> > A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
> > to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
> > known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
> > software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
> > a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
> > choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)
> >
> > Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
> > features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
> > downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
> > Netscape, so I am still looking.
> >
> > Regards, hawk
> >

> I agree completely about Product Activation. I will not succumb to
> Microsoft XP or Symmantec.
>
> Sorry, no advice on an email scanner that works with Netscape. Maybe it
> is time change email programs.
>
> ACE Utilities is a good alternative to Norton Utilities/System Works.
>
> BYE BYE Norton.

At the risk of being contentious how about not using an AV program? I have
never installed one, but have never had a virus / worm / trojan - by never
opening emails unless I'm sure about them and keeping windows updated. BTW,
I know I have never been infected thanks to Symantecs FREE scanning service
at
http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=WVIOORVWHFHMFNZMBBX
IMO a firewall is far more important...

Hawk

A firewall will not stop a virus. I use a router to connect to the
internet and my computers are invisible to hackers. But, I get E-mail
with viruses attached almost everyday. And on my address that no one
but close friends have. And I never open E-mail from someone I don't
know. But, you can get E-mail from a friend that is infected. I think
if a friend gets an E-mail from me and forwards it to someone, who
forwards it, etc. eventually it gets to an infected computer and all
addresses on the message get E-mail with a virus attached.

Anyway, if I can't scan incoming E-mail, how can I be sure that my
computer is not infected? And I don't want to remove an infection, I
never want to get infected in the first place.

Regards, hawk

Graham wrote:
> At the risk of being contentious how about not using an AV
program? I have
> never installed one, but have never had a virus / worm / trojan - by never
> opening emails unless I'm sure about them and keeping windows updated. BTW,
> I know I have never been infected thanks to Symantecs FREE scanning service
> at
> http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=WVIOORVWHFHMFNZMBBX
> IMO a firewall is far more important...

Phisherman

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 09:22:32 -0700, hawk <hawk@spamex.com> wrote:

>A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
>to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
>known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
>software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
>a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
>choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)
>
>Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
>features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
>downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
>Netscape, so I am still looking.
>
>Regards, hawk

I've used McAfee for many years, until it became incompatible with my
system. I switched to Norton antivirus for a year after that. Then I
switched to AVG which does the job very well. Do you absolutely need
Netscape? Mozilla and Opera are good browers if you don't like IE.
They all work about the same.

Phisherman

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:35:27 +0100, "Graham" <gts123@ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>"Peter Piper" <peterpiper737@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> In article <1085aq7ha17bj16@corp.supernews.com>, hawk@spamex.com says...
>> > A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
>> > to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
>> > known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
>> > software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
>> > a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
>> > choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)
>> >
>> > Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
>> > features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
>> > downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
>> > Netscape, so I am still looking.
>> >
>> > Regards, hawk
>> >

>> I agree completely about Product Activation. I will not succumb to
>> Microsoft XP or Symmantec.
>>
>> Sorry, no advice on an email scanner that works with Netscape. Maybe it
>> is time change email programs.
>>
>> ACE Utilities is a good alternative to Norton Utilities/System Works.
>>
>> BYE BYE Norton.
>>

>At the risk of being contentious how about not using an AV program? I have
>never installed one, but have never had a virus / worm / trojan - by never
>opening emails unless I'm sure about them and keeping windows updated. BTW,
>I know I have never been infected thanks to Symantecs FREE scanning service
>at
>http://security.symantec.com/ssc/home.asp?j=1&langid=ie&venid=sym&plfid=23&pkj=WVIOORVWHFHMFNZMBBX
>IMO a firewall is far more important...

]

I could not imagine *not* having an antivirus program and being
connected to the Internet.

Peter Piper wrote:
> In article <1085aq7ha17bj16@corp.supernews.com>, hawk@spamex.com says...
>> A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
>> to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
>> known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
>> software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
>> a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
>> choice with Win XP, but that is a different story.)
>>
>> Any recommendations for other anti virus software? The only "extra"
>> features that I want is incoming and out going E-Mail scanning. I
>> downloaded and installed AVG only to find that it doesn't work with
>> Netscape, so I am still looking.
>>
>> Regards, hawk
>>

> I agree completely about Product Activation. I will not succumb to
> Microsoft XP or Symmantec.

I must have got myself a pretty good bootleg copy of XP Pro then. It's
installed on computers from Tampa to Jensen Beach and everywhere in between.

Only activation I had to do was run it.

Only thing new locks make is better lockpicks.

TFM®

Stacey wrote:
> hawk wrote:
>
>> A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
>> to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
>> known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
>> software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
>> a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
>> choice with Win XP,
>
> Yes you do, switch to linux and then you don't have to worry about AV
> software either! :) I'd never use windows in an enviroment that is
> hostile anyway, too many security/virus/worm issues. The windows machine I
> have isn't configured to access the internet.

Well, look. I downloaded the knoppix version (bootable CD ISO) and was
working on a friends computer today.

He needed a format and clean install of Windoze XP Pro.

After the C drive was wiped clean, I slid in the Linux CD.

Booted, operating, and online via NIC and router within 3 minutes.

But does it do anything other than *work*?

Does it run real games? Windows is purty! Linux appears to be like
me.....rough and powerful.

TFM®

Hawk

Sorry, but no thanks. I tried to use Linux twice. I am just not enough
of a geek to use Linux for a desktop system. I use my system, as
opposed to administer my system. In the early days I liked to fiddle
with the system, but these days that just gives me heart burn.

Regards, hawk

Stacey wrote:
> hawk wrote:
>

>>A little off topic, but I see where Symantec has added a "New Feature"
>>to "protect" it's customers from illegal copies of software. Otherwise
>>known as Program Activation which is a ploy to sell more copies of the
>>software. I have been using Norton Anti Virus but I refuse to support
>>a company who uses PA if I have a choice. (I really don't have a
>>choice with Win XP,
>

> Yes you do, switch to linux and then you don't have to worry about AV
> software either! :) I'd never use windows in an enviroment that is
> hostile anyway, too many security/virus/worm issues. The windows machine I
> have isn't configured to access the internet.

Hawk

I use Mozilla on three of my computers, but I have Netscape on two
others that I manage. AVG also doesn't do E-mail scans on Mozilla or
Opera as far as I know? I tried Opera for about 4 months, but gave up
in disgust. Too many sites where it wouldn't work, and an unbearable
arrogance of members of users groups.

Tell me more about AVG and how it protects you from E-mail viruses. I
have heard nothing but good about AVG, but the lack of E-mail scanning
has scared me off.

Regards, hawk

Conor wrote:
> In article <RDHgc.461785$B81.7636942@twister.tampabay.rr.com>,
> horndawg@tampabay.rr.com says...
>
>> I must have got myself a pretty good bootleg copy of XP Pro then. It's
>> installed on computers from Tampa to Jensen Beach and everywhere in
between.

>> Only activation I had to do was run it.
>>
> Whats it like to be a thief?

It's a pretty good feeling actually. I've got lots of money for beer this
way.

Do you really think $139 for a buggy OS is justifiable? I don't. I paid
what it's worth.

TFM®

Conor wrote:
> In article <JbOdnT-ciuGKyR7dRVn2gw@giganews.com>, "mr potatohead" <"mr
> potatohead"> says...
>> How about the corporate edition, Symantec A/V? I'm not a Symantec fan.
>> Though bloated, it works very reliably. It's not the same as the home
>> a/v product. No activation. But they only sell it 5 packs or more, I
>> believe.
>>
> THat's not an issue though. You could get a few friends to chip in.

Or you could get a bootleg copy like I have. XP Pro has issues with it
though and you have to get some sort of patch from Symantec.

Nice of them to give me a patch for stolen software.

Conor, read your sig and then bite me.

TFM®

Stacey

TFM® wrote:

> Stacey wrote:
>
> But does it do anything other than *work*?
>
> Does it run real games? Windows is purty! Linux appears to be like
> me.....rough and powerful.

I never said windows doesn't have it's place. I have one windows machine and
it's my fastest one. I use it for games, video editing and digital
darkroom. I just wouldn't let it have access to the internet is all I was
saying. As cheap as computers are, it makes sense to me to have an
older/slower machine set up with some flavor of linux for using online.

--

Stacey

Stacey

hawk wrote:

> Sorry, but no thanks. I tried to use Linux twice. I am just not enough
> of a geek to use Linux for a desktop system. I use my system, as
> opposed to administer my system.

If you have a windows machine conected to the net you DO have to work harder
to keep it safe. I'm not going to argue that linux can do everything a
wondows machine can as far as desktop use/games etc. It's just I'd never
conect a windows machine to the internet. Have you tried knoppix? On most
newer machines it will boot off a CD and just -work- without any fiddling.

--

Stacey

In article <c625ub$7838v$5@ID-52908.news.uni-berlin.de>,
Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>hawk wrote:
>
>> Sorry, but no thanks. I tried to use Linux twice. I am just not enough
>> of a geek to use Linux for a desktop system. I use my system, as
>> opposed to administer my system.
>
>If you have a windows machine conected to the net you DO have to work harder
>to keep it safe. I'm not going to argue that linux can do everything a
>wondows machine can as far as desktop use/games etc. It's just I'd never
>conect a windows machine to the internet. Have you tried knoppix? On most
>newer machines it will boot off a CD and just -work- without any fiddling.
>
>--
>
> Stacey

Also try here: http://tinyurl.com/23nmq

Around 100 different live distros of Linux. I downloaded Susie and
Mandrake. Susie had problems with my monitor (the full version is supposed
to support it) but switching monitors allowed me to test it. Mandrake ran
just fine (with the problem monitor). With both I was up and connecting to
the Internet within 5 minutes. Susie also recognized my ATI TV Wonder VE TV
card right off the bat.

Amongst a wack of other stuff, both came with OpenOffice 1.1.

FWIW, If I wasn't running W98SE, Mozilla, AVG, ZA Pro 4, OpenOffice, and a
hardware firewall (router) I'd be mighty leary of connecting to the
internet with Windows too.

--
bpoulton at vcn dot bc dot ca (Bob Poulton) Remove 'yourhat' to reply
An Email as well as a response to the Newsgroup would be appreciated as