some A+ exam question!

hi
the following are sample of A+ exam questions. I took them from a CD
which to prepare for A+ exam. Any help with these question would be
very much apprciate it..thanks

1) ------ are circuits that enable data, instructions and power to
move from component to component on the system board

a) Traces (correct answer)
b) Grid lines
c) Expansion slot
d) Adapter cards

My question what is Traces??

2) Primary storage is temporary?
a) True (correct answer)
b) false

what is primary storage.. is not harddrive primary storage.. how come
it is temporary??

3) The two types of microchips manufactured are ---- and ---
a) CPU, CMOS (correct answer)
b) TTL, CMOS
c) TTL, CPU
d) CPU, ROM

I thought (b) should be the correct answer

4) The most popular printers today are laser, inkjet and line printers
a) True
b) False (correct answer)

Why flase??

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:39:37 -0700, esara wrote:

> 1) ------ are circuits that enable data, instructions and power to
> move from component to component on the system board
>
> a) Traces (correct answer)
> b) Grid lines
> c) Expansion slot
> d) Adapter cards
>
> My question what is Traces??

Uh.... Traces "are circuits that enable data, instructions and power to
move from component to component on the system board".

Think about the function, then look at your motherboard. Then look at the
lines connecting things.... that almost look like they were traced onto
the MB.... ;)

> 2) Primary storage is temporary?
> a) True (correct answer)
> b) false
>
> what is primary storage.. is not harddrive primary storage.. how come
> it is temporary??

Must not have studied very hard yet if you haven't read that Primary
memory is RAM...

> 4) The most popular printers today are laser, inkjet and line printers
> a) True
> b) False (correct answer)
>
> Why flase??

Just a guess, but when was the last time you bought a line printer?

--
Lenroc

On 20 Apr 2004 09:39:37 -0700, esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote:

>hi
>the following are sample of A+ exam questions. I took them from a CD
>which to prepare for A+ exam. Any help with these question would be
>very much apprciate it..thanks
>
>1) ------ are circuits that enable data, instructions and power to
>move from component to component on the system board
>
>a) Traces (correct answer)
>b) Grid lines
>c) Expansion slot
>d) Adapter cards
>
>My question what is Traces??

I think the "question" answers your question pretty well. If you look
at a circuit board, and ignore the components, you'll see some metal
lines etched into the board itself. These are the tracings. They're
used in lieu of wiring to electrically connect components to each
other.

>2) Primary storage is temporary?
>a) True (correct answer)
>b) false
>
>what is primary storage.. is not harddrive primary storage.. how come
>it is temporary??

Primary storage is system memory. Typically system memory is what's
called volatile memory. That means that it only "remembers" stuff
when it's powered up. Interrupt the juice, and it's all gone. It is
theoretically possible to construct a machine that uses non-volatile
memory types, but with current technology, such a machine would be
slow, and very expensive. Just price the difference between a flash
RAM card for a digital camera vs an equivalent sized stick of DDR or
even RDRAM.

>3) The two types of microchips manufactured are ---- and ---
>a) CPU, CMOS (correct answer)
>b) TTL, CMOS
>c) TTL, CPU
>d) CPU, ROM
>
>I thought (b) should be the correct answer

So did I, but I guess it might depend on your interpretation of "TTL".
One interpretation could be that TTL encompasses CPUs and CMOS as
well. Then B&C are like disqualified, as they're not really listing
two different types, just a type and a subtype (eg. Two types of fruit
are Oranges, and Naval Oranges).

>4) The most popular printers today are laser, inkjet and line printers
>a) True
>b) False (correct answer)
>
>Why flase??

Line printers. I'm not really sure what that is, but as I haven't
seen any ads for them in the last few years, they can't be all that
popular. If I had to guess, it would be inkjet, laser, and dot
matrix impact. Inkjet because covering homes. Lasers covers
offices. Dot matrix impact covers warehouses, and some retail
outlets, as until recently, it was the only type that could handle
duplicate or triplicate carbons paper.

MCheu

"esara" <esara123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
> the following are sample of A+ exam questions. I took them from a CD
> which to prepare for A+ exam. Any help with these question would be
> very much apprciate it..thanks

Don't put too much faith in those practice exams. I took a few practice
exams before I sat for the A+ exams. I couldn't find a single practice exam
without at least ONE wrong answer. That is, the answer listed for the
practice exam question was WRONG.

When I sat for the actual exams, there were only about 3 or 4 questions on
the actual exams that were anything like questions on the practice exams.
Either you're ready for the A+ exams or you aren't. The practice exams
won't help. Practical experience with hardware will help a lot,
hough. -Dave

3 (b) can't be right because it excludes GaAs technology, ECL, nMOS, etc.
But all the other answers are equally bad.

Charles

On 20 Apr 2004 09:39:37 -0700, esara123@hotmail.com (esara) wrote:

>hi
>the following are sample of A+ exam questions. I took them from a CD
>which to prepare for A+ exam. Any help with these question would be
>very much apprciate it..thanks
>
>1) ------ are circuits that enable data, instructions and power to
>move from component to component on the system board
>
>a) Traces (correct answer)
>b) Grid lines
>c) Expansion slot
>d) Adapter cards
>
>My question what is Traces??

connections between components (called traces)

This is more traditionally called the Bus or a bus.

Traces are the thin lines for communication and power on the
motherboard or circuit board. The key words is component to
component.

>2) Primary storage is temporary?
>a) True (correct answer)
>b) false
>
>what is primary storage.. is not harddrive primary storage.. how come
>it is temporary??

Primary storage is the first storage encountered by a CPU it can be
processor registers, Cache, or Memory. It has always been temporary.

>3) The two types of microchips manufactured are ---- and ---
>a) CPU, CMOS (correct answer)
>b) TTL, CMOS
>c) TTL, CPU
>d) CPU, ROM

TTL is transistor to transistor logic or communication between two
transistors it is more of a circuit than a microchip.

>I thought (b) should be the correct answer
>
>4) The most popular printers today are laser, inkjet and line printers
>a) True
>b) False (correct answer)

Line printers are not used much. Even mainframe printers are more
popular. Almost all businesses use Laser. We even uses lasers with
our mainframe.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 22:44:23 -0500, Charles wrote:

> connections between components (called traces)
>
> This is more traditionally called the Bus or a bus.

But are all traces busses? I didn't think so...

Could be wrong though ;)

--
Lenroc

Your ongoing questions are OFF Topic. Go someplace else to ask them.

--
DaveW

"esara" <esara123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> hi
> the following are sample of A+ exam questions. I took them from a CD
> which to prepare for A+ exam. Any help with these question would be
> very much apprciate it..thanks
>
> 1) ------ are circuits that enable data, instructions and power to
> move from component to component on the system board
>
> a) Traces (correct answer)
> b) Grid lines
> c) Expansion slot
> d) Adapter cards
>
> My question what is Traces??
>
> 2) Primary storage is temporary?
> a) True (correct answer)
> b) false
>
> what is primary storage.. is not harddrive primary storage.. how come
> it is temporary??
>
> 3) The two types of microchips manufactured are ---- and ---
> a) CPU, CMOS (correct answer)
> b) TTL, CMOS
> c) TTL, CPU
> d) CPU, ROM
>
> I thought (b) should be the correct answer
>
> 4) The most popular printers today are laser, inkjet and line printers
> a) True
> b) False (correct answer)
>
> Why flase??

>hi
>the following are sample of A+ exam questions. I took them from a CD
>which to prepare for A+ exam. Any help with these question would be
>very much apprciate it..thanks

That is a really shitty book.

>1) ------ are circuits that enable data, instructions and power to
>move from component to component on the system board
>
>a) Traces (correct answer)
>b) Grid lines
>c) Expansion slot
>d) Adapter cards
>
>My question what is Traces??

Copper traces on the board. Buses seems like a better answer.

>2) Primary storage is temporary?
>a) True (correct answer)
>b) false
>
>what is primary storage.. is not harddrive primary storage.. how come
>it is temporary??
>
>3) The two types of microchips manufactured are ---- and ---
>a) CPU, CMOS (correct answer)
>b) TTL, CMOS
>c) TTL, CPU
>d) CPU, ROM
>
>I thought (b) should be the correct answer

TTL and CMOS are two types of IC.

>4) The most popular printers today are laser, inkjet and line printers
>a) True
>b) False (correct answer)
>
>Why flase??

>So did I, but I guess it might depend on your interpretation of "TTL".
>One interpretation could be that TTL encompasses CPUs and CMOS as
>well. Then B&C are like disqualified, as they're not really listing

CMOS is most definitely not TTL. They are different types.

Michael

>I think the "question" answers your question pretty well. If you look
>at a circuit board, and ignore the components, you'll see some metal
>lines etched into the board itself. These are the tracings. They're
>used in lieu of wiring to electrically connect components to each

Traces are technically not circuits. They don't form a complete loop without
components in most cases.

Michael

esara wrote:

<snip>

> I thought (b) should be the correct answer
>
> 4) The most popular printers today are laser, inkjet and line printers
> a) True
> b) False (correct answer)
>
> Why flase??

To that must be added thermal printing and dye sublimation. Many
companies still use dot matrix printers for multipart stationery.

For what it's worth, I think if anyone managed to pass this exam and
never had any hardware experience, they still would not be able to build
a computer.

Most of it seems so irrelevant these days. Must be another cash cow for
companies to profit on training and literature.

Odie
--

RetroData
Data Recovery Experts

>> 4) The most popular printers today are laser, inkjet and line printers
>> a) True
>> b) False (correct answer)
>>
>> Why flase??
>
>To that must be added thermal printing and dye sublimation. Many
>companies still use dot matrix printers for multipart stationery.

What the heck is a line printer? I thought dot matrix would fall under that
term. Perhaps they mean the old daisy wheel.

>For what it's worth, I think if anyone managed to pass this exam and
>never had any hardware experience, they still would not be able to build
>a computer.

Buy some spare parts and build a few computers, or at least modify them. In
the US places like retrobox.com, compgeeks.com, and others have cheap parts.

>Most of it seems so irrelevant these days. Must be another cash cow for
>companies to profit on training and literature.

A + may be useful, I don't know. But I'm suspicious of other comptia certs
e.g. Linux +.

Michael

>Odie
>--
>
>RetroData
>Data Recovery Experts
>www.retrodata.co.uk

> For what it's worth, I think if anyone managed to pass this exam and
> never had any hardware experience, they still would not be able to build
> a computer.
>
> Most of it seems so irrelevant these days. Must be another cash cow for
> companies to profit on training and literature.

Most certifications in anything are almost worthless. Anyone can pass most
tests and not know very much about what is being certified. The ones
doing the certifications have convienced the business owners that
certification is great. Just a cash cow as you put it. In my state if your
car is less than about 6 years old (forgot the exect age) thye plug it into
a computer and it spits out an emissions certification When the same car
turns 7 that is no longer required. Seems to me that a new car would have
less emission problems than a new one. The old car inspection is $ 10 and
the newer one is $ 30. Guess that if you can affoard a new car youcan pay
an extra $ 20.

>Most certifications in anything are almost worthless. Anyone can pass most
>tests and not know very much about what is being certified. The ones
>doing the certifications have convienced the business owners that
>certification is great. Just a cash cow as you put it. In my state if your
>car is less than about 6 years old (forgot the exect age) thye plug it into
>a computer and it spits out an emissions certification When the same car
>turns 7 that is no longer required. Seems to me that a new car would have
>less emission problems than a new one. The old car inspection is $ 10 and
>the newer one is $ 30. Guess that if you can affoard a new car youcan pay
>an extra $ 20.

Possibly some certs are worthless in some cases. There at one time was a flood
of MCSE as well as CCNA. That however was true of MBA's and BS Comp Sci a few
years ago. Doesn't mean it's not worth having.

I think buying a shitload of used parts or acquiring some free parts would be a
start. Assemble, repair, tinker with windows, linux, etc. Then get the A+.
Don't be a paper cert. Don't just install mandrake, when you can build linux
from scratch. Don't just read TCP/IP in 24 hours when you can read TCP/IP
bible or illustrated. Get evals of Win 2k, 2k3. Get a checkpoint eval and
setup smoothwall and ipcop. Hell, make ur own slackware firewall and server.
And so on.

However, I'm suspicious of some other the other comptia certs. Why pay $200
for linux + when you can grab the level I and II certs from LPI? Why get net +
or server + when you can get RHCT, MCSE, or CCNA? I just don't think
collecting the comptia certs is a good choice for most people. But i'm not HR.
:)

M.

> However, I'm suspicious of some other the other comptia certs. Why pay
$200
> for linux + when you can grab the level I and II certs from LPI? Why get
net +
> or server + when you can get RHCT, MCSE, or CCNA? I just don't think
> collecting the comptia certs is a good choice for most people. But i'm
not HR.
> :)

Exactly, the people in HR decide what you need to get through a paper-shift
for a job, if you don't have the tickets you don't get a look-in. Its not
always the case, some people can read a CV and then experience can count,
but not always.

I had one job that paid more the more qualifications you had. I knew one
person who went through loads of exams just to get the money, he couldn't
apply the knowledge though. The mug who helped him out with the real work
didn't have time to get the exams and hence was paid a lot less, until he
left :)

Adam S