Ralph

I am trying to decide between a 2.8 Pentium 4 or a 3.2 Pentium 4. I
will either overclock the 2.8 to around 3.2 or just run the 3.2 at
stock speeds. My main concern is wattage and heat.
The 2.8 at stock uses less wattage than the 3.0 or 3.2 but what
happens when you start overclocking the 2.8 to around 3.2? Is the
wattage and heat disipation the same as a stock 3.2 , higher , or
lower? Overclocking a 2.8 would give me a higher FSB than a stock 3.2
running at normal speed but if the wattage and heat is going to be
higher it is not worth it to me. Thanks for any help.

If buying retail:

I'd go with a 3.0C because it has a better heatsink (possibly the fan
too, don't remember). It is part copper w/ thin copper fins and part
aluminum w/thick small aluminum fins (if I remember correctly, as of
about two months ago). Check with Intel to be sure. 800-538-3373 pre sales.

The 3.2C's also use a copper/aluminum hybrid, but different. The center
is copper, but the fins are thick aluminum. I believe it is heaver too,
but both are considerably heavier than 2.8 and below.

Both of these heatsinks have real thermal compound. Not a thermal pad,
like the 2.8c. You will have a hard time finding an equally good
replacement for the same money (OEM vs Retail Box).

If buying OEM with aftermarket hs/f:

I'd still opt for a 3.0c. I don't do much overclocking these days, but
most people run them at 3.4 GHz no problem.

A 2.8@3.0 will likely run just as hot as a 3.0 GHz, all other things
being equal: voltage, hs/f, etc. Other things will run hotter with a
2.8@3.0: north bridge, memory if pushed, etc.

Ralph wrote:

> I am trying to decide between a 2.8 Pentium 4 or a 3.2 Pentium 4. I
> will either overclock the 2.8 to around 3.2 or just run the 3.2 at
> stock speeds. My main concern is wattage and heat. The 2.8 at stock
> uses less wattage than the 3.0 or 3.2 but what happens when you start
> overclocking the 2.8 to around 3.2? Is the wattage and heat
> disipation the same as a stock 3.2 , higher , or lower? Overclocking
> a 2.8 would give me a higher FSB than a stock 3.2 running at normal
> speed but if the wattage and heat is going to be higher it is not
> worth it to me. Thanks for any help.

Forgot to add, the watts should be the same at the same frequency
assuming same voltage is used. Don't know of any reason why it would be
different.