Wireless Connection Drops when other wireless network is a..

I have been using a Netgear wireless access point with my Dell Latitude for a
couple of years now without any troubles. Today, our wireless connection
keeps dropping. When I look at the available wireless networks, there are
now multiple options when there used to be only one. Apparently one of my
neighbors now has a wireless network. When I try to reconnect to my own
network after being dropped, it wouldn't connect. I discoverd that my
network authentication setting had changed from 'shared' to 'open'. I
switched it back and was able to connect. A few minutes later, the
connection dropped again. Sure enough, the authentication setting had
switched to 'open' again. Any idea why this is happening? -- or why the
availability of another network would cause my connection to drop?
3 answers Last reply
More about wireless connection drops wireless network

    Hi there,

    Not too sure on the authentication side of things, but having a Netgear box
    myself I would recommend upgrading the firmware first you haven’t already, it
    has solved alot of issues with dropped connections and encryption, this could
    solve the very bug your speaking of.

    Then I would take a look at the channel your wireless device is broadcasting
    on, as you may or may not know, wireless frequencies work or a range of
    channels depending on what part of the world you’re in will determine how
    many channel you have.

    Off the top of my head I think its 10 channels for the US, 12 for Europe and
    13 for Asia??? Could be wrong, but anyway your box will be using one of them
    and without getting in to too much technical stuff about frequencies, it
    basically spreads its self over more than one channel, say its set to channel
    4, it will use 3,5 and maybe even 2 and 6 (don’t quote me on that) but you
    can see a problem arising if 2 devices are broadcasting on channels close to
    each other.

    So when there is more than one wireless device broadcasting its frequency
    they can sometimes interfere which each other, causing loss of connections
    and dropped packets, etc, etc (the nature of wireless!) So if you change the
    channel to one that is not in the same range as the other wireless devices
    (Using the netgear connection software will tell you what channel all the
    devices are on) you may find the connection drops might stop, if not improve
    at least.

    Hope this helps and is not insulting your level of technical expertise, but
    its best to start with the simple stuff first! ;)

    Regards,

    Stuart

    "BarbW427" wrote:

    > I have been using a Netgear wireless access point with my Dell Latitude for a
    > couple of years now without any troubles. Today, our wireless connection
    > keeps dropping. When I look at the available wireless networks, there are
    > now multiple options when there used to be only one. Apparently one of my
    > neighbors now has a wireless network. When I try to reconnect to my own
    > network after being dropped, it wouldn't connect. I discoverd that my
    > network authentication setting had changed from 'shared' to 'open'. I
    > switched it back and was able to connect. A few minutes later, the
    > connection dropped again. Sure enough, the authentication setting had
    > switched to 'open' again. Any idea why this is happening? -- or why the
    > availability of another network would cause my connection to drop?

    Did you protect your system by changing your SSID and password? If not,
    someone might be able to just sign on your network and change it for you.

    Are you using MAC Filtering on your system?

    Clark

    BarbW427 wrote:

    > I have been using a Netgear wireless access point with my Dell Latitude for a
    > couple of years now without any troubles. Today, our wireless connection
    > keeps dropping. When I look at the available wireless networks, there are
    > now multiple options when there used to be only one. Apparently one of my
    > neighbors now has a wireless network. When I try to reconnect to my own
    > network after being dropped, it wouldn't connect. I discoverd that my
    > network authentication setting had changed from 'shared' to 'open'. I
    > switched it back and was able to connect. A few minutes later, the
    > connection dropped again. Sure enough, the authentication setting had
    > switched to 'open' again. Any idea why this is happening? -- or why the
    > availability of another network would cause my connection to drop?

    BarbW427:

    I used to see my neighbors Netgear wireless setup on my laptop when I sat on
    my deck. Since I switched my channel from 6 to 1, I don't see him any more...
    and I assume he doesn't see me.

    Scott

Wireless Connection Wireless Network Wireless Networking