dual channel memory question

on a motherboard with dual channel memory can you ran standard ddr ram
as well or do you have to use dual channel ddr?
4 answers Last reply
More about dual channel memory question

    The two RAM sticks have to be IDENTICAL (matched) to work in dual channel
    mode.

    --
    DaveW

    > The two RAM sticks have to be IDENTICAL (matched) to work in dual channel
    > mode.
    >
    > --
    > DaveW

    There actually is no such thing as "dual channel ddr", as opposed to
    "standard ddr". Some memory makers would like you to believe you need to
    buy a dual channel memory kit for use in a dual channel system, but this is
    not true; it does make them more money. Some people believe the best
    performance is achieved by using the same amount of memory on each side, but
    dual channel mode will work even if the sticks are different size or make.
    See here:
    http://www.asus.com.tw/support/faq/qanda.aspx?KB_ID=84916
    and here:
    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45999
    and another discussion here:
    http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=45664
    Check the manufacturer's web site of whichever board you plan on using for
    more specific information. This question has been beat to death since the
    introduction of the NForce2 chipset.

    sam unwise wrote:
    > on a motherboard with dual channel memory can you ran standard ddr ram
    > as well or do you have to use dual channel ddr?

    I run two Corsair 512s in my Dual Channel Intel D865GBL mobo. They are
    from the same batch, but are not specially tested for dual channel. i.e.
    Regular memory. They run just fine.

    Clyde

    On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 23:03:19 +0000, DaveW wrote:

    > The two RAM sticks have to be IDENTICAL (matched) to work in dual channel
    > mode.

    As someone else already pointed out, this is BS.

Homebuilt DDR Dual Channel Memory Systems