Is this TRACONE deal worth buying?

Last response: in Network Providers
July 26, 2004 1:25:55 AM

Hi,
After successfully avoiding cell phones, I finally reached a point
where I start seeing there usefulness - but only for emergency
situations and alike. I still very much prefer using regular phones
for routine calls.

Yesterday I saw at the local KMART an attractive deal of a Nokia cell
phone for TRACFONE pre-paid service for $40. For some reason, I can't
find it online, but I found something similar at Kmart (only for $15
more): http://tinyurl.com/65jlt

My questions are:
1) Is anyone familiar with the Kmart-Nokia-Tracfone deal for $40?
If so, is it a considered a good deal?
What are its cons (i.e. where is the catch)?

2) Since this deal is nowhere on Kmart's web site,
it seems that it is trying to get rid of some obsolete cell phones?

Do you happen to know whether the Motorola Tracfone
is better than the Nokia Tracfone?

What are today's cell phone's MUST HAVE features?

Thanks,
Sam
Anonymous
July 26, 2004 5:08:15 PM

> Do you happen to know whether the Motorola Tracfone
> is better than the Nokia Tracfone?

ANYTHING is better than Motorola.

> What are today's cell phone's MUST HAVE features?

If you are only going to be using it for emergenies, I wouldn't wory about it.

The "Must have" features aren't available on TracFone.

As for what those features are, this will vary from person to person. For me if
I can make and receive a call, I am happy. InfaRed (or BlueTooth) for
interconnection with a computer, text messaging and data and games to the
handset are all currently popular features. In the near future a lot is going
to be said about streaming video to the handset - Imagine, Star Wars on an inch
and a half screen!!!!

--
John S.
July 26, 2004 11:13:40 PM

ANYTHING is better than Nokia.

"John S." <sexyexotiche@aol.comspamfree> wrote in message
> > Do you happen to know whether the Motorola Tracfone
> > is better than the Nokia Tracfone?
> >

> ANYTHING is better than Motorola.
>
> > What are today's cell phone's MUST HAVE features?
>
> If you are only going to be using it for emergenies, I wouldn't wory about
it.

> The "Must have" features aren't available on TracFone.
>
> As for what those features are, this will vary from person to person. For
me if
> I can make and receive a call, I am happy. InfaRed (or BlueTooth) for
> interconnection with a computer, text messaging and data and games to the
> handset are all currently popular features. In the near future a lot is
going
> to be said about streaming video to the handset - Imagine, Star Wars on an
inch
> and a half screen!!!!
>
> --
> John S.
> e-mail responses to - john at kiana dot net
July 27, 2004 3:24:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,misc.consumers.frugal-living (More info?)

What model is the $40 deal at Kmart?

First thing I recommend you do is go to the www.tracfone.com website and
click "buy phone" option and enter your zip code to see what phone models
are available for you.

That will give you an idea of the technology (CDMA,TDMA, or GSM) you area
supports with TracFone. Then you will have a better idea of the carrier
options in your area.

Email me with what you find out for more help if you like.

Hope this helps!

JoshIII
upstate south carolina
josh3i@hotmail.com
http://profiles.yahoo.com/tracfonegenius

"Silence Seeker" <silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> After successfully avoiding cell phones, I finally reached a point
> where I start seeing there usefulness - but only for emergency
> situations and alike. I still very much prefer using regular phones
> for routine calls.
>
> Yesterday I saw at the local KMART an attractive deal of a Nokia cell
> phone for TRACFONE pre-paid service for $40. For some reason, I can't
> find it online, but I found something similar at Kmart (only for $15
> more): http://tinyurl.com/65jlt
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Is anyone familiar with the Kmart-Nokia-Tracfone deal for $40?
> If so, is it a considered a good deal?
> What are its cons (i.e. where is the catch)?
>
> 2) Since this deal is nowhere on Kmart's web site,
> it seems that it is trying to get rid of some obsolete cell phones?
>
> Do you happen to know whether the Motorola Tracfone
> is better than the Nokia Tracfone?
>
> What are today's cell phone's MUST HAVE features?
>
> Thanks,
> Sam
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 8:14:41 AM

(Silence Seeker) wrote
> Hi,
> After successfully avoiding cell phones, I finally reached a point
> where I start seeing there usefulness

If AT&T wireless (TDMA) is strong in your area, check in to CallPlus
(www.ecallplus.com) or Oxygen Wireless
(http://www.o2wirelessservice.com/) for lower airtime rates (15 cpm).

Lena
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:44:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,misc.consumers.frugal-living (More info?)

Thanks, Josh. I did as you recommended and came up with this:

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/direct/tr/itemdetl.jsp?p...

Wow! $30 for a refurbished phone plus 100 minutes. Doesn't seem like a bad deal.

My questions now are:
1) Do these minutes expire?
2) What is CDMA, TDMA, GSM? Do I have a choice at all?
If so, which one is the best?

Thanks,
Sam

"JoshIII" <josh3iREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2mm039Foinf2U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> What model is the $40 deal at Kmart?
>
> First thing I recommend you do is go to the www.tracfone.com website and
> click "buy phone" option and enter your zip code to see what phone models
> are available for you.
>
> That will give you an idea of the technology (CDMA,TDMA, or GSM) you area
> supports with TracFone. Then you will have a better idea of the carrier
> options in your area.
>
> Email me with what you find out for more help if you like.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> JoshIII
> upstate south carolina
> josh3i@hotmail.com
> http://profiles.yahoo.com/tracfonegenius

Anonymous
July 27, 2004 12:53:57 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,misc.consumers.frugal-living (More info?)

OK, I just found the section in TRACFONE's web site that explains "How
It Works":

"Unlike most plans, you keep your minutes and they do not expire, with
active service."

"To keep your TracFone service active, you must purchase and redeem a
TracFone Prepaid Wireless Airtime every 60 or 365 days depending on
the card denomination. Redeem airtime before your due date and your
remaining minutes and service days will rollover and be added to your
phone, up to 90 days. TracFone Prepaid Wireless Airtime cards are
available online or at over 60,000 retailers nationwide."

In other words, I have to constantly keep calling their customer
service to make sure I don't looks MY minutes. The minutes for which I
paid with my hard earned money.

Hmmm... Doesn't seem like such a good deal after all (unless it can be
done automatically from my phone or via web/email).

Anyone can shed more light & experiences on this procedure?

Thanks,
Sam

"JoshIII" <josh3iREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2mm039Foinf2U1@uni-berlin.de>...
> What model is the $40 deal at Kmart?
>
> First thing I recommend you do is go to the www.tracfone.com website and
> click "buy phone" option and enter your zip code to see what phone models
> are available for you.
>
> That will give you an idea of the technology (CDMA,TDMA, or GSM) you area
> supports with TracFone. Then you will have a better idea of the carrier
> options in your area.
>
> Email me with what you find out for more help if you like.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> JoshIII
> upstate south carolina
> josh3i@hotmail.com
> http://profiles.yahoo.com/tracfonegenius
>

> "Silence Seeker" <silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > After successfully avoiding cell phones, I finally reached a point
> > where I start seeing there usefulness - but only for emergency
> > situations and alike. I still very much prefer using regular phones
> > for routine calls.
> >
> > Yesterday I saw at the local KMART an attractive deal of a Nokia cell
> > phone for TRACFONE pre-paid service for $40. For some reason, I can't
> > find it online, but I found something similar at Kmart (only for $15
> > more): http://tinyurl.com/65jlt
> >
> > My questions are:
> > 1) Is anyone familiar with the Kmart-Nokia-Tracfone deal for $40?
> > If so, is it a considered a good deal?
> > What are its cons (i.e. where is the catch)?
> >
> > 2) Since this deal is nowhere on Kmart's web site,
> > it seems that it is trying to get rid of some obsolete cell phones?
> >
> > Do you happen to know whether the Motorola Tracfone
> > is better than the Nokia Tracfone?
> >
> > What are today's cell phone's MUST HAVE features?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Sam
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 1:01:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,misc.consumers.frugal-living (More info?)

in message <2mm039Foinf2U1@uni-berlin.de>,
wrote JoshIII ...

> What model is the $40 deal at Kmart?

I saw only the Nokia 1221 phone, 800MHz TDMA & AMPS, for $40, w/o any
additional minutes or such in Martinsburg, WV. Same is available at
Walmart for 1-2 dollars less, Officemax for $10 extra.

- parv

--
As nice it is to receive personal mail, too much sweetness causes
tooth decay. Unless you have burning desire to contact me, do not do

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,misc.consumers.frugal-living (More info?)

> "Unlike most plans, you keep your minutes and they do not expire, with
> active service."
>
> "To keep your TracFone service active, you must purchase and redeem a
> TracFone Prepaid Wireless Airtime every 60 or 365 days depending on
> the card denomination. Redeem airtime before your due date and your
> remaining minutes and service days will rollover and be added to your
> phone, up to 90 days. TracFone Prepaid Wireless Airtime cards are
> available online or at over 60,000 retailers nationwide."
>
> In other words, I have to constantly keep calling their customer
> service to make sure I don't looks MY minutes. The minutes for which I
> paid with my hard earned money.
>
> Hmmm... Doesn't seem like such a good deal after all (unless it can be
> done automatically from my phone or via web/email).

You can redeem airtime cards or free PINs you get from the Refer-A-Friend
promotion online or over the phone using TracFone's toll free number.

JoshIII
upstate south carolina
josh3i@hotmail.com
http://profiles.yahoo.com/tracfonegenius
If activating a TracFone soon, be sure to get an email referral from
another TracFone user before you do! You'll both receive 100 free minutes!
TracFone uses Verizon, Alltell, Suncom, Cingular networks
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 5:39:54 PM

> Thanks, Josh. I did as you recommended and came up with this:
>
> http://www.tracfone-orders.com/direct/tr/itemdetl.jsp?p...
>
> Wow! $30 for a refurbished phone plus 100 minutes. Doesn't seem like a bad
deal.

> My questions now are:
> 1) Do these minutes expire?
> 2) What is CDMA, TDMA, GSM? Do I have a choice at all?
> If so, which one is the best?

Answer 1) Minutes in the phone never expire. Airtime card minutes expire
after a year if not redeemed before then.

Answer 2) CDMA is Verizon/Alltel
TDMA is Cingular
GSM is Cingular (single rate which means no roaming)

I have a CDMA nokia 5180i TracFone with Verizon and like it very much..
Everything on the phone works perfectly.

I plan to soon get a Nokia 1100 (GSM) which has the same rate throughout the
USA (no roaming charge). Its currently $50 at Office Depot and Staples.
Coverage is not as good with GSM as it is currently with CDMA in the US.

Hope this helps!

JoshIII
upstate south carolina
josh3i@hotmail.com
http://profiles.yahoo.com/tracfonegenius
If activating a TracFone soon, be sure to get an email referral from
another TracFone user before you do! You'll both receive 100 free minutes!
TracFone uses Verizon, Alltell, Suncom, Cingular networks
Anonymous
July 27, 2004 10:32:04 PM

> OK, I just found the section in TRACFONE's web site that explains "How
> It Works":
>
> "Unlike most plans, you keep your minutes and they do not expire, with
> active service."
>
> "To keep your TracFone service active, you must purchase and redeem a
> TracFone Prepaid Wireless Airtime every 60 or 365 days depending on
> the card denomination. Redeem airtime before your due date and your
> remaining minutes and service days will rollover and be added to your
> phone, up to 90 days. TracFone Prepaid Wireless Airtime cards are
> available online or at over 60,000 retailers nationwide."
>
> In other words, I have to constantly keep calling their customer
> service to make sure I don't looks MY minutes. The minutes for which I
> paid with my hard earned money.
>
> Hmmm... Doesn't seem like such a good deal after all (unless it can be
> done automatically from my phone or via web/email).
>
> Anyone can shed more light & experiences on this procedure?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about constantly calling their
customer service. Back in February I got a TracFone with a year's worth of
minutes. Every time I turn the phone on I get a little display message
telling me the date when the year will be up and how many more minutes I
have remaining. If I run out of year before I run out of minutes, I'll
probably just go back to the same store (Target) where I bought the first
batch of minutes and buy some more. To me this seems really simple. Am I
missing something?
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 8:14:07 AM

Silence Seeker wrote:

> OK, I just found the section in TRACFONE's web site that explains "How
> It Works":
>
> "Unlike most plans, you keep your minutes and they do not expire, with
> active service."
>
> "To keep your TracFone service active, you must purchase and redeem a
> TracFone Prepaid Wireless Airtime every 60 or 365 days depending on
> the card denomination. Redeem airtime before your due date and your
> remaining minutes and service days will rollover and be added to your
> phone, up to 90 days. TracFone Prepaid Wireless Airtime cards are
> available online or at over 60,000 retailers nationwide."

virgin lets you get a new $20 card every 90 days. not 60. not 365.

> In other words, I have to constantly keep calling their customer
> service to make sure I don't looks MY minutes. The minutes for which I
> paid with my hard earned money.

i press the up arrow key on my phone, and it tells me how much money is
left on the account, and when the next due date is. i also get an email
a week before.

even if i ignore both, i dont lose my minutes... my phone only becomes
inactive. i then have an additional 60 days to buy a $20 phone card...
150 days total.

> Hmmm... Doesn't seem like such a good deal after all (unless it can be
> done automatically from my phone or via web/email).
>
> Anyone can shed more light & experiences on this procedure?
Anonymous
July 28, 2004 3:41:06 PM

"JoshIII" <lipizzanREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<2mnicgFou5sdU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Answer 1) Minutes in the phone never expire. Airtime card minutes expire
> after a year if not redeemed before then.

Pardon my ignorance (once again), but what do you mean by "Minutes in
the phone"? What is the difference between "Minutes in the phone" and
"Airtime card minutes"?

Thanks,
Sam
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 12:45:14 AM

> > Answer 1) Minutes in the phone never expire. Airtime card minutes
expire
> > after a year if not redeemed before then.
>
> Pardon my ignorance (once again), but what do you mean by "Minutes in
> the phone"? What is the difference between "Minutes in the phone" and
> "Airtime card minutes"?

Airtime card minutes are simply the green TracFone airtime cards you
purchase at Walmart, or Kmart, or Best Buy, etc. The cards are not
associated with any TracFone when purchased and can be used with any
TracFone.

Redeem means taking the minutes off the card and moving them to the airtime
bank in the TracFone.

Redeeming is accomplished by entering codes using the keypad on the
TracFone.

The codes you enter into the TracFone are determined by the TracFone website
(online) or their automated system at their toll free number. These codes
are derived from the PIN printed on the airtime cards in addition to the
electronic serial number (ESN) of your TracFone.

Minutes in the airtime bank on the TracFone last indefinitely or until used
as long as your due date is not exceeded. If no airtime cards are redeemed
before your due date, then you loose your cellphone telephone number, but
not your minutes. Note: TracFone has a Deactivation Protection plan that
is free, but it requires leaving a valid credit card number with TracFone
and they will automatically debt $7.99 against your account if your due date
is ever exceeded. The due date is automatically extended 30 days if
TracFone debits your charge account. Use of the Deactivation Protection
plan is optional, but its a reliable system, and I recommend signing up for
it.

JoshIII
upstate south carolina
josh3i@hotmail.com
http://profiles.yahoo.com/tracfonegenius
If activating a TracFone soon, be sure to get an email referral from
another TracFone user before you do! You'll both receive 100 free minutes!
TracFone uses Verizon, Alltell, Suncom, Cingular networks
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 3:42:55 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,misc.consumers.frugal-living (More info?)

Wow! Thank you Josh for this very detailed and educating answer.

I have one question though:

"JoshIII" <lipizzanREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message >

> Minutes in the airtime bank on the TracFone last indefinitely or until used
> as long as your due date is not exceeded. If no airtime cards are redeemed

How can minutes "last indefinitely" as long as the "due date is not
exceeded"? Isn't this an oxymoron? I mean, they either last
indefinitely OR expire once the due date is exceeded.

I am probably missing something here or I misunderstood you.

Could you please explain?

Thanks,
Sam
Anonymous
July 29, 2004 11:43:42 PM

> > Minutes in the airtime bank on the TracFone last indefinitely or until
used
> > as long as your due date is not exceeded. If no airtime cards are
redeemed

> How can minutes "last indefinitely" as long as the "due date is not
> exceeded"? Isn't this an oxymoron? I mean, they either last
> indefinitely OR expire once the due date is exceeded.

There are two things you have to watch with a TracFone, else you will not
have service:
1. "Due Date" (date shown in the display before which you must add another
airtime card to maintain active service).
2. "Airtime Tank" (units of airtime shown in the display that must be
greater than zero (0), else you will not be able to make or receive calls).

For calls made or received within you local calling area (which varies by
carrier you are using):
1 unit = 1 minute of airtime

For calls made when roaming (special case is the the rate for the Nokia 1100
which is 1unit=1minute of airtime everywhere in the USA):
2 units = 1 minute of airtime

Minutes in the airtime bank on the TracFone last indefinitely (as long as
your due date is not exceeded before redeeming a new card)

or

until used (as long as your due date is not exceeded before redeeming a new
card).
Anonymous
July 30, 2004 6:35:40 AM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,misc.consumers.frugal-living (More info?)

> For calls made or received within you local calling area (which varies by
> carrier you are using):
> 1 unit = 1 minute of airtime
>
> For calls made when roaming (special case is the the rate for the Nokia 1100
> which is 1unit=1minute of airtime everywhere in the USA):
> 2 units = 1 minute of airtime

see- i like virgin. they dont use "units", they use $$$. the first 10
minutes used each day is .25/min. any time more than 10 minutes is
..10/min. no roaming, and LD is included.
Anonymous
August 1, 2004 1:13:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.cellular.cingular,misc.consumers.frugal-living (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:39:54 -0400, "JoshIII"
<lipizzanREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Silence Seeker" <silenceseeker2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Thanks, Josh. I did as you recommended and came up with this:
>>
>> http://www.tracfone-orders.com/direct/tr/itemdetl.jsp?p...
>>
>> Wow! $30 for a refurbished phone plus 100 minutes. Doesn't seem like a bad
>deal.
>>
>> My questions now are:
>> 1) Do these minutes expire?
>> 2) What is CDMA, TDMA, GSM? Do I have a choice at all?
>> If so, which one is the best?

GSM is the best !
!