Silly HP marketing

I was at a store yesterday, and saw the new-style HP cartridge boxes
(blue and white instead of amber and white.) I noticed that the 78A box
(just labeled as LARGE) is a double-wide box, even though the cartridge is
the EXACT same physically as the regular 78D! The very TINY print on the
side said there was only (1) 38ml cartridge inside. I assume they are
doing this to DISCOURAGE stores from carrying it, as it will 'waste' space
and people will by the more expensive (per ml) 78D.

I wonder if this has anything to do with the post earlier where somebody
(CircuitCity?) was listing them as 2 cartridge packs? Maybe somebody saw
the box, saw that it was the same width as the 2-cartridge packs (like the
45/78 combo), and just made the wrong assumption?

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:56:25 UTC, Andrew Rossmann
<andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:

> I was at a store yesterday, and saw the new-style HP cartridge boxes
> (blue and white instead of amber and white.) I noticed that the 78A box
> (just labeled as LARGE) is a double-wide box, even though the cartridge is
> the EXACT same physically as the regular 78D! The very TINY print on the
> side said there was only (1) 38ml cartridge inside. I assume they are
> doing this to DISCOURAGE stores from carrying it, as it will 'waste' space
> and people will by the more expensive (per ml) 78D.

Historically, larger packaging has often been used to discourage
shoplifting.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

In article <176uZD2KcidF-pn2-xdVmddFym0UN@rikki.tavi.co.uk>, rde42
@spamcop.net says...
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:56:25 UTC, Andrew Rossmann
> <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I was at a store yesterday, and saw the new-style HP cartridge boxes
> > (blue and white instead of amber and white.) I noticed that the 78A box
> > (just labeled as LARGE) is a double-wide box, even though the cartridge is
> > the EXACT same physically as the regular 78D! The very TINY print on the
> > side said there was only (1) 38ml cartridge inside. I assume they are
> > doing this to DISCOURAGE stores from carrying it, as it will 'waste' space
> > and people will by the more expensive (per ml) 78D.
>
> Historically, larger packaging has often been used to discourage
> shoplifting.

Why would they only make the 78A big? It's not THAT much more valuable.

Some packaging can get riduclous. At WalMart, I've seen tiny CF or
smaller memory cards in monstrous 12"x12" packages.

law!!
http://home.att.net/~andyross

"Bob Eager" <rde42@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:56:25 UTC, Andrew Rossmann
> <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I was at a store yesterday, and saw the new-style HP cartridge boxes
> > (blue and white instead of amber and white.) I noticed that the 78A box
> > (just labeled as LARGE) is a double-wide box, even though the cartridge
is
> > the EXACT same physically as the regular 78D! The very TINY print on the
> > side said there was only (1) 38ml cartridge inside. I assume they are
> > doing this to DISCOURAGE stores from carrying it, as it will 'waste'
space
> > and people will by the more expensive (per ml) 78D.
>
> Historically, larger packaging has often been used to discourage
> shoplifting.

...over here the small one is marked "light use" but is otherwise almost
identical to the regular cart. Very easy to grab the wrong one if you don't
know what number cart you should buy.

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 20:56:28 UTC, Andrew Rossmann
<andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:

> Why would they only make the 78A big? It's not THAT much more valuable.

Give them time.

> Some packaging can get riduclous. At WalMart, I've seen tiny CF or
> smaller memory cards in monstrous 12"x12" packages.

Exactly my point. Someone can easily slip a small package into their
pocket or whatever, and walk out. With those large packages it's
impractical. It's also the reason they are so difficult to open; makes
it hard to remove the item surreptitiously in the shop.

Many years ago, a motor accessory manufacturer made a thing called a
'Colourtune'. It was a see-through spark plug, and you fitted it
temporarily while you adjusted the fuel mixture; the spark colour
changed as the mixture changed.

They found that it didn't sell very well at all in many shops; after
investigation, they found they were being kept behind the counter
because the (rather small) package was being shoplifted.

They made the package much larger (a blister pack) and sales
soared...shops now kept them 'out front'.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Jan

In article <WepYc.229823$Zg7.11862121@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
colin.watters@pandoraBOX.be says...

> "Bob Eager" <rde42@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 12:56:25 UTC, Andrew Rossmann
> > <andysnewsreply@no_junk.comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I was at a store yesterday, and saw the new-style HP cartridge boxes
> > > (blue and white instead of amber and white.) I noticed that the 78A box
> > > (just labeled as LARGE) is a double-wide box, even though the cartridge
> is
> > > the EXACT same physically as the regular 78D! The very TINY print on the
> > > side said there was only (1) 38ml cartridge inside. I assume they are
> > > doing this to DISCOURAGE stores from carrying it, as it will 'waste'
> space
> > > and people will by the more expensive (per ml) 78D.
> >
> > Historically, larger packaging has often been used to discourage
> > shoplifting.
>
> ..over here the small one is marked "light use" but is otherwise almost
> identical to the regular cart. Very easy to grab the wrong one if you don't
> know what number cart you should buy.

Yesterday I bought a tri colour cartridge for the 932C that I am giving
my sister. Choice was HP - $58. Office Depot Remanufactured - $38. Took
the Office Depot cartidge. When I opened it (small box) it had what
looked to me like a heavy duty platic cradle that the cartridge was in
which on the side said REMOVE. The cartidge seems to be working
perfectly and as I said, the box was just big enough to hold it but the
ink capacity was the same as the previous more expensive HP cartridge.
--
Cheers!

Jan