How do I access a laptop hard drive from my desktop?

My laptop hard-drive crashed (had errors I couldn't fix when it booted,
reformat didn't help) and I replaced it myself but now I want to try to
access individual files from the old hard drive. I thought I could just
plug it into my desktop as a slave drive and attempt to access it but I had
not realized it used a different number of pins than the standard IDE
drives.

So, to access the laptop drive, do I just need to get the right cable? If
so, what kind? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks for any hints...
6 answers Last reply
More about access laptop hard drive desktop

    "John" <john@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > My laptop hard-drive crashed (had errors I couldn't fix when it booted,
    > reformat didn't help) and I replaced it myself but now I want to try to
    > access individual files from the old hard drive. I thought I could just
    > plug it into my desktop as a slave drive and attempt to access it but I
    had
    > not realized it used a different number of pins than the standard IDE
    > drives.
    >
    > So, to access the laptop drive, do I just need to get the right cable? If
    > so, what kind? Anything else I need to know?
    >
    > Thanks for any hints...

    Well, one poster suggested that you buy an external enclosure. That might be
    a way to go if you had a drive that you knew was good. But since you don't
    know that right now, how about doing it the cheap way? You can buy an
    adapter that will make the 2.5" drive match up to "big computer" standards.
    They are available everywhere but this one is the first result on a Google
    search I did:
    http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=205-1991

    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    In article <z1cic.947$iG5.861
    @newssvr23.news.prodigy.com>, john@nospam.net says...
    > My laptop hard-drive crashed (had errors I couldn't fix when it booted,
    > reformat didn't help) and I replaced it myself but now I want to try to
    > access individual files from the old hard drive. I thought I could just
    > plug it into my desktop as a slave drive and attempt to access it but I had
    > not realized it used a different number of pins than the standard IDE
    > drives.
    >
    > So, to access the laptop drive, do I just need to get the right cable? If
    > so, what kind? Anything else I need to know?

    There are adapter kits that allow you to hook 2.5"
    drives to the power cables and IDE cables inside a
    desktop machine... but I like Lou's suggestion of
    getting an external firewire/USB drive for 2.5" drives
    and just mounting your laptop drive in that. (Much
    easier.)

    Buy a self powered USB and / or Firewire 2.5" case from newegg.com or
    megahaus.com
    Lou

    John wrote:

    > My laptop hard-drive crashed (had errors I couldn't fix when it booted,
    > reformat didn't help) and I replaced it myself but now I want to try to
    > access individual files from the old hard drive. I thought I could just
    > plug it into my desktop as a slave drive and attempt to access it but I had
    > not realized it used a different number of pins than the standard IDE
    > drives.
    >
    > So, to access the laptop drive, do I just need to get the right cable? If
    > so, what kind? Anything else I need to know?
    >
    > Thanks for any hints...

    Thanks for the suggestion. I was considering the enclosures but I like the
    adapter better because it's cheaper. I won't need regular access to the
    drive since it has errors so I'm reluctant to spend a lot of cash on it.

    Thanks again.

    "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all> wrote in message
    > "John" <john@nospam.net> wrote in message
    > > My laptop hard-drive crashed (had errors I couldn't fix when it booted,
    > > reformat didn't help) and I replaced it myself but now I want to try to
    > > access individual files from the old hard drive. I thought I could just
    > > plug it into my desktop as a slave drive and attempt to access it but I
    > had
    > > not realized it used a different number of pins than the standard IDE
    > > drives.
    > >
    > > So, to access the laptop drive, do I just need to get the right cable?
    If
    > > so, what kind? Anything else I need to know?
    > >
    > > Thanks for any hints...
    > >

    > Well, one poster suggested that you buy an external enclosure. That might
    be
    > a way to go if you had a drive that you knew was good. But since you don't
    > know that right now, how about doing it the cheap way? You can buy an
    > adapter that will make the 2.5" drive match up to "big computer"
    standards.
    > They are available everywhere but this one is the first result on a Google
    > search I did:
    > http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=205-1991
    >
    > --
    > John McGaw
    > [Knoxville, TN, USA]
    > http://johnmcgaw.com

    Thanks for each of your suggestions. This newgroup has never failed to help
    me out.

    On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 17:05:35 GMT, "John" <john@nospam.net> wrote:

    >So, to access the laptop drive, do I just need to get the right cable? If
    >so, what kind? Anything else I need to know?

    Google for "2.5 3.5 ide adapter".

    Buy.com has one for $8.00:
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10344935&loc=421

    You can also usually find these adapters on eBay or at local computer
    fairs..

    --
    Robert B. Clark (email ROT13'ed)
    Visit ClarkWehyr Enterprises On-Line at http://www.3clarks.com/ClarkWehyr/

Homebuilt Laptops Desktops Hard Drives Systems