SD card crashing? (iPAQ 4355)

August 10, 2004 1:15:40 AM

This is my first handheld & I've had it a couple weeks, & I have to say I'm
pretty underwhelmed. Things keep going wrong. Maybe I'm pushing it too
hard, but I'm supposed to be able to do the things I'm going. <end of
global gripe>

I got a 256M Sandisk sd card, & it just crashed for the second time. I
exchanged the first one after a crash (data wiped out), and this is the
second card. I was in a photo folder, looked at pics, went up to the root
directory, and there were 512 file-thingys with weird character names that
wouldn't open. I re-formatted and am putting my stuff back on. ...But
really, this is mickey mouse. Anyone have any wisdom for me? I'm
frustrated.
Anonymous
August 10, 2004 9:07:32 AM

Just because YOUR PPC works OK doesn't mean another user's PPC
will work exactly the same way. With computers nothing really
works as expected ;)

There are a lot of people who have had trouble with SanDisk cards
in their PPC's getting corrupted, even to the point where the
card became useless in either PPC or PC Card reader.
Sometimes completely formatting the card on a desktop pc will
make the card work again, but when it doesn't, it's time to send
it back for warranty or a refund.
Kingston and Lexar cards seem to have less problems.
Perhaps you can try your card in a card reader on your PC or
even in a different PPC, R? if the card works OK there then
*maybe* there is a problem with your own PPC. Perhaps you should
also check if the card fits correctly, if it makes good contact.
Try holding the card to one side of the slot on your PPC when it
is inserted, and also try the other sides. if this changes the
behaviour of the card then the contacts inside your PPC are not
making enough contact.

$0.02

~S.

--