Win98SE PCI Universal Serial Bus problems

Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.win98.setup (More info?)

All this started when I tried to install driver for Cig@R Pro 64Mb
Flash memory disk.
This is multiboot machine with Win98 and WinXP. WinXP recognized disk
without any drivers. Win98SE needs drivers. After succesfull
installation on Win98SE PC did not recognized this disk.
I noticed on Control panel - System - Device Manager I have problems
under header:
? Other devices
?! PCI Universal Serial Bus
I am not sure if this message was caused by the new drivers, may be it
was there before and now I noticed it.

I have SOYO motherboard with 2 USB 1.0 ports. About 2 years ago I
added a PCI USB card with USB 2.0. I checked - all USB port are
working correcly, each time I connect USB drives - PC recognize it.
My question: why I am getting this message, while my PCI USB 2.0 card
is working OK and USB ports from the motherboard are working OK?

Thanks,

Zalek
3 answers Last reply
More about win98se universal serial problems
  1. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.win98.setup (More info?)

    make sure it didn't end up in 'other devices' in device manager,
    remove all entries from there, then reboot

    <zalekbloom@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > All this started when I tried to install driver for Cig@R Pro 64Mb
    > Flash memory disk.
    > This is multiboot machine with Win98 and WinXP. WinXP recognized
    disk
    > without any drivers. Win98SE needs drivers. After succesfull
    > installation on Win98SE PC did not recognized this disk.
    > I noticed on Control panel - System - Device Manager I have problems
    > under header:
    > ? Other devices
    > ?! PCI Universal Serial Bus
    > I am not sure if this message was caused by the new drivers, may be
    it
    > was there before and now I noticed it.
    >
    > I have SOYO motherboard with 2 USB 1.0 ports. About 2 years ago I
    > added a PCI USB card with USB 2.0. I checked - all USB port are
    > working correcly, each time I connect USB drives - PC recognize it.
    > My question: why I am getting this message, while my PCI USB 2.0
    card
    > is working OK and USB ports from the motherboard are working OK?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Zalek
  2. Archived from groups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,microsoft.public.win98.setup (More info?)

    In article <e84e5f2f.0404240547.4b0b2430@posting.google.com>,
    zalekbloom@hotmail.com writes
    >All this started when I tried to install driver for Cig@R Pro 64Mb
    >Flash memory disk.
    >This is multiboot machine with Win98 and WinXP. WinXP recognized disk
    >without any drivers. Win98SE needs drivers. After succesfull
    >installation on Win98SE PC did not recognized this disk.
    >I noticed on Control panel - System - Device Manager I have problems
    >under header:
    >? Other devices
    > ?! PCI Universal Serial Bus
    >I am not sure if this message was caused by the new drivers, may be it
    >was there before and now I noticed it.
    >
    >I have SOYO motherboard with 2 USB 1.0 ports. About 2 years ago I
    >added a PCI USB card with USB 2.0. I checked - all USB port are
    >working correcly, each time I connect USB drives - PC recognize it.
    >My question: why I am getting this message, while my PCI USB 2.0 card
    >is working OK and USB ports from the motherboard are working OK?

    Those flash devices normally need a TSR program for win98, which loads
    at boot-time, in order for it to be able to see the drive. If you do
    ctrl-alt-del you should see it listed as something like usbmonit,
    stimon, or something similar hopefully. It shouldn't affect what's
    listed under hardware devices, it's just a monitoring program waiting
    for your device to be plugged in. XP and ME have something similar
    built into the o/s.

    I've noticed that the installation of the TSR can be a little
    temperatmental, and you may need to reboot a couple of times before your
    flash device is finally picked up. Normally, if the one I have has
    played up when installing on someone else's comp - be that win98, ME or
    XP - and isn't being recognised, I leave it plugged in a reboot. It
    normally gets picked up then.

    As far as that device listed under hardware, if I were you, I would just
    remove the 'PCI Universal serial bus' from under 'other devices' and
    just reboot to see if it gets picked up again.
    --
    Peter Ives
    Remove ALL_STRESS only before sending me an email

    zalekbloom@hotmail.com wrote:
    > All this started when I tried to install driver for Cig@R Pro 64Mb
    > Flash memory disk.
    > This is multiboot machine with Win98 and WinXP. WinXP recognized disk
    > without any drivers. Win98SE needs drivers. After succesfull
    > installation on Win98SE PC did not recognized this disk.
    > I noticed on Control panel - System - Device Manager I have problems
    > under header:
    > ? Other devices
    > ?! PCI Universal Serial Bus
    > I am not sure if this message was caused by the new drivers, may be it
    > was there before and now I noticed it.
    >
    > I have SOYO motherboard with 2 USB 1.0 ports. About 2 years ago I
    > added a PCI USB card with USB 2.0. I checked - all USB port are
    > working correcly, each time I connect USB drives - PC recognize it.
    > My question: why I am getting this message, while my PCI USB 2.0 card
    > is working OK and USB ports from the motherboard are working OK?

    Perhaps it's a message for another USB hub that is for headers on the
    motherboard that you're not using? I assume you've checked all the ports
    again to make sure they're working, not just relying on the testing you
    did before.

    > Thanks,
    >
    > Zalek

Homebuilt Drivers PCI USB Systems