buying a new MB, CPU, and RAM soon but would like to use my existing
HDs for a bit longer as I don't want to spend the additional $ right
now. Thanks for any info you have.

More about thing sata adptaer

    <No.Thanks@Here.com> wrote in message
    news:main805s92mufla8pcagv31uisuv46kkat@4ax.com...
    > As the subject says... And if so, how good is it? I'm planning on
    > buying a new MB, CPU, and RAM soon but would like to use my existing
    > HDs for a bit longer as I don't want to spend the additional $ right
    > now. Thanks for any info you have.

    "New" MBs, at least at present, still seem to have the obligatory two IDE
    connectors so you should not need anything more than a standard ribbon cable
    to hook up your old drives (assuming that they are PATA drives of course).
    What MB is is you are considering?
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    Yes, ABIT have a serial ATA Adaptor, it is called SERILLEL ATA II, it
    supports ATA Hard Drives and ATAPI Devices, as far as I can remember the
    last one I bought was from Dabs, hope this helps.

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:50:07 -0400, "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all>
    wrote:

    >"New" MBs, at least at present, still seem to have the obligatory two IDE
    >connectors so you should not need anything more than a standard ribbon cable
    >to hook up your old drives (assuming that they are PATA drives of course).

    Thanks, I understand this, but I will be loading my MB to the hilt
    with HDs and the ATA IDE will be filled with HDs for back up and
    archival purposes. Plus I'd like to take advantage of the SATA RAID
    that's built into the MB. So, do you happen to know if there are
    adapters out there? Thanks again.

    In article <main805s92mufla8pcagv31uisuv46kkat@4ax.com>,
    No.Thanks@Here.com says...
    > As the subject says... And if so, how good is it? I'm planning on
    > buying a new MB, CPU, and RAM soon but would like to use my existing
    > HDs for a bit longer as I don't want to spend the additional $ right
    > now. Thanks for any info you have.

    I have a $20 doodad that I bought to hook an IDE drive
    up to a SATA channel (cyberguys sells them). Seems to
    work just fine, but I'm only using the drive as a
    scratch drive for video stuff.

    But like John said, most motherboards still supply IDE
    connectors.

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 17:18:42 +0100, "Paul"
    <paulstevens2004@hotpop.com> wrote:

    >Yes, ABIT have a serial ATA Adaptor, it is called SERILLEL ATA II, it
    >supports ATA Hard Drives and ATAPI Devices, as far as I can remember the
    >last one I bought was from Dabs, hope this helps.

    ABIT has one? Cool, I'll have to go to their site and check it out.
    Thanks, that does help.

    On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 21:46:21 -0400, Toshi1873 <toshi1873@nowhere.com>
    wrote:

    >I have a $20 doodad that I bought to hook an IDE drive
    >up to a SATA channel (cyberguys sells them). Seems to
    >work just fine, but I'm only using the drive as a
    >scratch drive for video stuff.

    Great! Thanks for the name of Cyberguys. They are in the States and
    that will be easier for me to get them from as that's where I live.

    > On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:50:07 -0400, "John McGaw" <nowhere@at.all>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >"New" MBs, at least at present, still seem to have the obligatory two IDE
    > >connectors so you should not need anything more than a standard ribbon
    cable
    > >to hook up your old drives (assuming that they are PATA drives of
    course).

    > Thanks, I understand this, but I will be loading my MB to the hilt
    > with HDs and the ATA IDE will be filled with HDs for back up and
    > archival purposes. Plus I'd like to take advantage of the SATA RAID
    > that's built into the MB. So, do you happen to know if there are
    > adapters out there? Thanks again.

    Still seems odd to me but if you are determined to do it, you might find
    that simply buying a complete PCI RAID controller, from Promise for example
    might be cheaper than adding some sort of adapters to the old drives. For
    example Newegg sells such a controller for $32.00. How much do the adapters
    that the other posters have mentioned cost and do you need one for each
    drive?
    --
    John McGaw
    [Knoxville, TN, USA]

    In article <Kvejc.40749$Uz1.10966
    @bignews3.bellsouth.net>, nowhere@at.all says...
    > Still seems odd to me but if you are determined to do it, you might find
    > that simply buying a complete PCI RAID controller, from Promise for example
    > might be cheaper than adding some sort of adapters to the old drives. For
    > example Newegg sells such a controller for $32.00. How much do the adapters
    > that the other posters have mentioned cost and do you need one for each
    > drive?

    http://www.cyberguys.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?T1=
    202+0258

    $22.49 each (and yep, you need one for each drive).
    Also, they make the drive about 3/4" deeper and the SATA
    cable sticks out farther then a PATA does (unless you
    get 90-degree SATA cables).

Homebuilt Hardware SATA Systems