Dell Dimension 4100 make a good PVR?

I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with following specs:

800 mhz Pentium 3

512 megs ram

40 gig hard drive

Windows XP Pro

21" monitor

CD drive only

What Im wondering is if I could make a good PVR (Tivo clone) outta
this thing? Does it have enough horsepower and resources??

Initially Id just like to ut a DVD drive in this thing and be able to
hook it up to a standard 32" analog TV and play DVD movies with it.
Can that be done cheaply to start with?

Then....Id like to put a TV card and PVR video card in it to record TV
programs to the hard drive....and watch them later on the 32" analog
TV

Advice? Can I do this at reasonable cost with above hardware?
6 answers Last reply
More about dell dimension 4100 make good

    you can add a dvd rom for about $35 or a dvd writer for about $85 and play
    dvds on your tv if your video card has tv out.

    your system might be a little slow for real time mpeg encoding but you can
    find out for about $50 with a leadtek winfast tv2000 deluxe card.

    <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with following specs:
    >
    > 800 mhz Pentium 3
    >
    > 512 megs ram
    >
    > 40 gig hard drive
    >
    > Windows XP Pro
    >
    > 21" monitor
    >
    > CD drive only
    >

    > What Im wondering is if I could make a good PVR (Tivo clone) outta
    > this thing? Does it have enough horsepower and resources??
    >
    > Initially Id just like to ut a DVD drive in this thing and be able to
    > hook it up to a standard 32" analog TV and play DVD movies with it.
    > Can that be done cheaply to start with?
    >
    > Then....Id like to put a TV card and PVR video card in it to record TV
    > programs to the hard drive....and watch them later on the 32" analog
    > TV
    >
    > Advice? Can I do this at reasonable cost with above hardware?

    On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 14:18:48 GMT, "Wooducoodu"
    <wooducoodu@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >you can add a dvd rom for about $35 or a dvd writer for about $85 and play
    >dvds on your tv if your video card has tv out.
    >
    >your system might be a little slow for real time mpeg encoding but you can
    >find out for about $50 with a leadtek winfast tv2000 deluxe card.

    Or go right an buy a Hauppauge PVR250 board for $120 or so.

    If you have OTA DTV you can get an ATSC tuner board (or if you are
    Europe, a DVB-T board)

    ><me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
    >> I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with following specs:
    >>
    >> 800 mhz Pentium 3
    >>
    >> 512 megs ram
    >>
    >> 40 gig hard drive
    >>
    >> Windows XP Pro
    >>
    >> 21" monitor
    >>
    >> CD drive only
    >>

    >> What Im wondering is if I could make a good PVR (Tivo clone) outta
    >> this thing? Does it have enough horsepower and resources??
    >>
    >> Initially Id just like to ut a DVD drive in this thing and be able to
    >> hook it up to a standard 32" analog TV and play DVD movies with it.
    >> Can that be done cheaply to start with?
    >>
    >> Then....Id like to put a TV card and PVR video card in it to record TV
    >> programs to the hard drive....and watch them later on the 32" analog
    >> TV
    >>
    >> Advice? Can I do this at reasonable cost with above hardware?

    >Or go right an buy a Hauppauge PVR250 board for $120 or so.

    Well PC Mag did a review of such software and hardware awhile back

    I think they recommenced the Hauppauge 350 in conjunction with a
    SnapStream Beyond TV3

    see link

    http://www.snapstream.com/Products/

    What do you guys think of that setup?

    And ....I wonder why they recommend the Hauppauge 350 rather then the
    250 model you mention above?

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100 with following specs:
    >
    > 800 mhz Pentium 3
    >
    > 512 megs ram
    >
    > 40 gig hard drive
    >
    > Windows XP Pro
    >
    > 21" monitor
    >
    > CD drive only

    Coupled with a PVR-250, that should make a decent MythTV machine. You
    might grow out of that 40GB drive real quick, though.

    If your capture card doesn't do hardware encoding, your CPU isn't going
    to cut it.

    -WD

    me6@privacy.net wrote:

    >>Or go right an buy a Hauppauge PVR250 board for $120 or so.
    >

    > Well PC Mag did a review of such software and hardware awhile back
    >
    > I think they recommenced the Hauppauge 350 in conjunction with a
    > SnapStream Beyond TV3
    >
    > see link
    >
    > http://www.snapstream.com/Products/
    >
    > What do you guys think of that setup?
    >
    > And ....I wonder why they recommend the Hauppauge 350 rather then the
    > 250 model you mention above?

    The 350 has high quality TV-out functionality, but I do not believe this
    is supported if you're running Windows.

    -WD

    you'd be better off with the leadtek.

    > >Or go right an buy a Hauppauge PVR250 board for $120 or so.
    >
    > Well PC Mag did a review of such software and hardware awhile back
    >
    > I think they recommenced the Hauppauge 350 in conjunction with a
    > SnapStream Beyond TV3
    >
    > see link
    >
    > http://www.snapstream.com/Products/
    >
    > What do you guys think of that setup?
    >
    > And ....I wonder why they recommend the Hauppauge 350 rather then the
    > 250 model you mention above?

Homebuilt Dimension Dell Systems