  • Wireless Networking
Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
June 18, 2005 11:11:56 PM

I have a wireless network set up running on several desktops. One desktop is
connected to the wireless router. The other desktops have compatible
wireless cards installed. Everything works well and I can share the DSL
connection.

But, I have the need to include a portable computer in the network. The
portable doesn't have any capability to add a wireless card or wireless USB
device. All I've got available on it is an ethernet connector.

So, is it possible to buy an external router, set it as an access point that
wirelessly connects to the network, then direct wire the portable to that
with an ethernet cable?

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

More about : access point question

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 18, 2005 11:11:57 PM

Well, if problem is that the only USB port(s) are already in use, you could
add a USB hub and use a USB adapter. Also, if there are not enough ethernet
ports available on the router, you could add a switch. Nevertheless, there
are devices variously called ethernet to wirless adapters or wireless
ethernet bridges which can do what you want. eg.:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...

Doug Sherman
MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

"ccr" <ccr@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> I have a wireless network set up running on several desktops. One desktop
is
> connected to the wireless router. The other desktops have compatible
> wireless cards installed. Everything works well and I can share the DSL
> connection.
>
> But, I have the need to include a portable computer in the network. The
> portable doesn't have any capability to add a wireless card or wireless
USB
> device. All I've got available on it is an ethernet connector.
>
> So, is it possible to buy an external router, set it as an access point
that
> wirelessly connects to the network, then direct wire the portable to that
> with an ethernet cable?
>
> Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
June 21, 2005 8:20:30 PM

If your laptop really? doesn't have a PCMCIA port, you can get a
wireless access point and configure it as a client, plug into your
laptop network card and wireless connect to your network. I use several
Dlink 900AP+ units that way, mostly because of the ability to move the
access point to get the best reception.

!