Access point question?

I have a wireless network set up running on several desktops. One desktop is
connected to the wireless router. The other desktops have compatible
wireless cards installed. Everything works well and I can share the DSL
connection.

But, I have the need to include a portable computer in the network. The
portable doesn't have any capability to add a wireless card or wireless USB
device. All I've got available on it is an ethernet connector.

So, is it possible to buy an external router, set it as an access point that
wirelessly connects to the network, then direct wire the portable to that
with an ethernet cable?

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about access point question

    Well, if problem is that the only USB port(s) are already in use, you could
    add a USB hub and use a USB adapter. Also, if there are not enough ethernet
    ports available on the router, you could add a switch. Nevertheless, there
    are devices variously called ethernet to wirless adapters or wireless
    ethernet bridges which can do what you want. eg.:

    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=602

    Doug Sherman
    MCSE, MCSA, MCP+I, MVP

    "ccr" <ccr@nowhere.net> wrote in message
    > I have a wireless network set up running on several desktops. One desktop
    is
    > connected to the wireless router. The other desktops have compatible
    > wireless cards installed. Everything works well and I can share the DSL
    > connection.
    >
    > But, I have the need to include a portable computer in the network. The
    > portable doesn't have any capability to add a wireless card or wireless
    USB
    > device. All I've got available on it is an ethernet connector.
    >
    > So, is it possible to buy an external router, set it as an access point
    that
    > wirelessly connects to the network, then direct wire the portable to that
    > with an ethernet cable?
    >
    > Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

    If your laptop really? doesn't have a PCMCIA port, you can get a
    wireless access point and configure it as a client, plug into your
    laptop network card and wireless connect to your network. I use several
    Dlink 900AP+ units that way, mostly because of the ability to move the
    access point to get the best reception.

    ccr wrote:

    > I have a wireless network set up running on several desktops. One desktop is
    > connected to the wireless router. The other desktops have compatible
    > wireless cards installed. Everything works well and I can share the DSL
    > connection.
    >
    > But, I have the need to include a portable computer in the network. The
    > portable doesn't have any capability to add a wireless card or wireless USB
    > device. All I've got available on it is an ethernet connector.
    >
    > So, is it possible to buy an external router, set it as an access point that
    > wirelessly connects to the network, then direct wire the portable to that
    > with an ethernet cable?
    >
    > Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wireless Desktops Wireless Networking