video cards, burner

Hi All,

I need to build a couple machines for some friends.  Sure could use some
hardware advice.

For the first machine, I need a low-end graphics card in the range of
$50-$75 USD.  It must be rock-solid stable under Linux.  Would like to try
some alternatives to Nvidia.

In the second machine, looking for a mid-range card in the $125-$175 USD
range for Gaming, graphics, cad, etc.   It must be rock-solid stable under
Linux.  Would like to try some alternatives to Nvidia.

Lastly, need recommendations for a great burner.  Would like one that does
CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW.  It must be rock-solid stable
under Linux.

BTW, when you burn DVD's, what format do you use the most --  DVD+R, DVD+RW,
DVD-R, DVD-RW?

Any pointers would be majorily appreciated.
6 answers Last reply
More about video cards burner

    "Eric Weiss" <EricWeiss@bellsouth.org> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I need to build a couple machines for some friends. Sure could use some
    > hardware advice.
    >
    > For the first machine, I need a low-end graphics card in the range of
    > $50-$75 USD. It must be rock-solid stable under Linux. Would like to try
    > some alternatives to Nvidia.

    Ati 7000 series

    > In the second machine, looking for a mid-range card in the $125-$175 USD
    > range for Gaming, graphics, cad, etc. It must be rock-solid stable under
    > Linux. Would like to try some alternatives to Nvidia.

    Ati w9200

    > Lastly, need recommendations for a great burner. Would like one that does
    > CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW. It must be rock-solid stable
    > under Linux.

    Nec ND2500A same as Pioneer 107D but cheaper

    > BTW, when you burn DVD's, what format do you use the most -- DVD+R,
    > DVD+RW,
    > DVD-R, DVD-RW?

    -R, cheaper blanks, compatible with more players
    If you flash the Nec or Pioneer with a hacked bios, will rip at full speed
    and write most any blank 0R at 8x with good results

    > Any pointers would be majorily appreciated.

    For low end Video Card, I would prefer build in Video Card. I myself
    thinkin of ASRock K7VM4 motherboard which has build in 64M shared
    memory video card and they claim that this video card is one of the
    best.. so I guess it worths the trial, but I do not know if you can
    use an external Video Card with this MB!? I would check that mysself..
    HTH

    Eric Weiss wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I need to build a couple machines for some friends. Sure could use some
    > hardware advice.
    >
    > For the first machine, I need a low-end graphics card in the range of
    > $50-$75 USD. It must be rock-solid stable under Linux. Would like to try
    > some alternatives to Nvidia.

    How are Matrox under Linux? NVidia's linux support is better than
    most/all. I'd go with an fx5200/128mb card, personally. You could always
    have a look at SiS and their linux support. SiS Xabre200 based cards are
    below that price range.

    > In the second machine, looking for a mid-range card in the $125-$175 USD
    > range for Gaming, graphics, cad, etc. It must be rock-solid stable under
    > Linux. Would like to try some alternatives to Nvidia.

    Stick with nVidia under linux. I'm never going ATi again, even for
    windows! I run a mix of linux and windows OSes here. I'd be looking at
    an NVidia 5900xt based card for a midrange card. They're at the upper
    end of your price range, with starter models at $175. Good cards, though.

    > Lastly, need recommendations for a great burner. Would like one that does
    > CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW. It must be rock-solid stable
    > under Linux.

    I have a Pioneer 107D, but not on one of my linux boxen. With recent
    price drops, I'm wishing I'd waited a few more weeks/months for the
    retail version of this drive.

    > BTW, when you burn DVD's, what format do you use the most -- DVD+R, DVD+RW,
    > DVD-R, DVD-RW?

    DVD-R

    Eric Weiss wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I need to build a couple machines for some friends. Sure could use some
    > hardware advice.
    >
    > For the first machine, I need a low-end graphics card in the range of
    > $50-$75 USD. It must be rock-solid stable under Linux. Would like to try
    > some alternatives to Nvidia.

    Rock solid under Linux means Nvidia. Why do you want to try alternatives?

    BarryNL wrote:

    > Rock solid under Linux means Nvidia. Why do you want to try alternatives?

    There were some recent problems with nvidia drivers not playing nice in
    Linux. At that point, I realized all my machines and all the new ones I
    was building - used Nvidia video. It's a case of not wanting to put all my
    eggs in a basket.

    I'm going to try some Asus Radeon cards on current projects....

    What happened when you used the ATI card? Which model did you use?

    Boppie

    "sooky grumper" <sookygrumper@fishies_.com> wrote in message
    > Eric Weiss wrote:
    > > Hi All,
    > >
    > > I need to build a couple machines for some friends. Sure could use some
    > > hardware advice.
    > >
    > > For the first machine, I need a low-end graphics card in the range of
    > > $50-$75 USD. It must be rock-solid stable under Linux. Would like to
    try
    > > some alternatives to Nvidia.
    >
    > How are Matrox under Linux? NVidia's linux support is better than
    > most/all. I'd go with an fx5200/128mb card, personally. You could always
    > have a look at SiS and their linux support. SiS Xabre200 based cards are
    > below that price range.
    >

    > > In the second machine, looking for a mid-range card in the $125-$175 USD
    > > range for Gaming, graphics, cad, etc. It must be rock-solid stable
    under
    > > Linux. Would like to try some alternatives to Nvidia.
    >

    > Stick with nVidia under linux. I'm never going ATi again, even for
    > windows! I run a mix of linux and windows OSes here. I'd be looking at
    > an NVidia 5900xt based card for a midrange card. They're at the upper
    > end of your price range, with starter models at $175. Good cards, though.
    >

    > > Lastly, need recommendations for a great burner. Would like one that
    does
    > > CD-R, CD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-R, DVD-RW. It must be rock-solid stable
    > > under Linux.
    >
    > I have a Pioneer 107D, but not on one of my linux boxen. With recent
    > price drops, I'm wishing I'd waited a few more weeks/months for the
    > retail version of this drive.
    >

    > > BTW, when you burn DVD's, what format do you use the most -- DVD+R,
    DVD+RW,
    > > DVD-R, DVD-RW?
    > >

    > DVD-R
    >
    > > Any pointers would be majorily appreciated.
    > >

    > --
    > spammage trappage: replace fishies_ with yahoo

Homebuilt Systems