Internal video card & external in the same MB

Hi
Can I install an external Video Card in a MotherBoard which has an
internal Video Card? If I can would I free the Momory (RAM) which is
suppose to be shared by the internal video card?? would the internal
vc be disabled once I insert the external VC in the AGP or even in
PCI?

I am asking these question with regard any motherboard which has
internal vc but I am studying this motherboard now (ASRock K7VM4)

http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7VM4.htm?categories=1&model=31

Thanks
3 answers Last reply
More about internal video card external

    If you install an AGP card into a system with onboard video, the onboard
    will likely be disabled as it is also AGP and you can only have 1 AGP device
    active. If you install a PCI graphics card it is likely the onboard would
    still work and be useful for a dual monitor setup.

    esara <esara123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Can I install an external Video Card in a MotherBoard which has an
    > internal Video Card? If I can would I free the Momory (RAM) which is
    > suppose to be shared by the internal video card?? would the internal
    > vc be disabled once I insert the external VC in the AGP or even in
    > PCI?
    >
    > I am asking these question with regard any motherboard which has
    > internal vc but I am studying this motherboard now (ASRock K7VM4)
    >

    > http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7VM4.htm?categories=1&model=31
    >
    > Thanks

    Howdy!

    "esara" <esara123@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Can I install an external Video Card in a MotherBoard which has an
    > internal Video Card? If I can would I free the Momory (RAM) which is
    > suppose to be shared by the internal video card?? would the internal
    > vc be disabled once I insert the external VC in the AGP or even in
    > PCI?

    It depends on the motherboard and chipset.

    > I am asking these question with regard any motherboard which has
    > internal vc but I am studying this motherboard now (ASRock K7VM4)
    >

    > http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7VM4.htm?categories=1&model=31

    Dunno, but my ASROCK 266A lets me run both motherboard AND AGP or
    PCI video boards ...

    RwP

    esara wrote:
    > Hi
    > Can I install an external Video Card in a MotherBoard which has an
    > internal Video Card?

    Like BTH said, if it's a PCI vid card, yes, AGP, no.

    > If I can would I free the Momory (RAM) which is
    > suppose to be shared by the internal video card??

    Onboard is a better way to refer to it, as all video cards are internal.
    Yes, the shared system RAM should be freed (unless there's a small
    amount reserved that isn't freed up, anyone know?).

    > would the internal
    > vc be disabled once I insert the external VC in the AGP or even in
    > PCI?

    AGP: maybe. You'll need to consult your motherboard's manual. Sometimes
    you have to change a jumper or set it to disabled in the BIOS.

    PCI: no, unless you disable it like I described just above. There's also
    sometimes a BIOS setting for the first video to boot from, PCI or AGP,
    and you may wish to set this appropriately, too.

    > I am asking these question with regard any motherboard which has
    > internal vc but I am studying this motherboard now (ASRock K7VM4)
    >

    > http://www.asrockamerica.com/Products/K7VM4.htm?categories=1&model=31
    >
    > Thanks

Homebuilt Graphics Cards Motherboards Systems