Memory question

Hi all,

Got an Asrock k7s8x mobo which has 3 ram slot's, I've got 2 stick's of 128mb
pc2100 both the same brand and also 1 stick of 512mb pc2100(IBM brand),
what's the best way to position these?, first slot the 512 then both the
128's, does it matter?.

TIA

Ellis
5 answers Last reply
More about memory question

    Rap wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Got an Asrock k7s8x mobo which has 3 ram slot's, I've got 2 stick's of 128mb
    > pc2100 both the same brand and also 1 stick of 512mb pc2100(IBM brand),
    > what's the best way to position these?, first slot the 512 then both the
    > 128's, does it matter?.

    Doesn't matter. But since you're mixing and matching, be sure to test
    your memory thoroughly.
    http://www.memtest.org

    -WD

    Thank's, I've got that mem test on a bootable cd, i'll run the test now!!.

    Ellis

    "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > Rap wrote:
    >
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > Got an Asrock k7s8x mobo which has 3 ram slot's, I've got 2 stick's of
    128mb
    > > pc2100 both the same brand and also 1 stick of 512mb pc2100(IBM brand),
    > > what's the best way to position these?, first slot the 512 then both the
    > > 128's, does it matter?.
    >

    > Doesn't matter. But since you're mixing and matching, be sure to test
    > your memory thoroughly.
    > http://www.memtest.org
    >

    > -WD

    Bugger, 11 error's how come??.

    "Rap" <ABC@123.COM> wrote in message
    > Thank's, I've got that mem test on a bootable cd, i'll run the test now!!.
    >

    > Ellis
    >
    > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message
    > > Rap wrote:
    > >
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > Got an Asrock k7s8x mobo which has 3 ram slot's, I've got 2 stick's of
    > 128mb
    > > > pc2100 both the same brand and also 1 stick of 512mb pc2100(IBM
    brand),
    > > > what's the best way to position these?, first slot the 512 then both
    the
    > > > 128's, does it matter?.
    > >

    > > Doesn't matter. But since you're mixing and matching, be sure to test
    > > your memory thoroughly.
    > > http://www.memtest.org
    > >

    > > -WD

    Try a slower CAS latency - in the memory timing BIOS screen change the
    memory settings to manual instead of 'by SPD' and set the CAS to 2.5 if it's
    on 2 for example. You could try generally slacker memory timings. Also
    whilst there you could set bank interleave to 4-way for better performance.
    Warning - if try faster memory timings than your RAM can cope with you could
    end up with a non-booting PC (but resetting the BIOS will get you out of it)
    Graham
    > Bugger, 11 error's how come??.
    >

    > "Rap" <ABC@123.COM> wrote in message
    > > Thank's, I've got that mem test on a bootable cd, i'll run the test
    now!!.

    > > Ellis
    > >
    > > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message

    > > 128mb
    > brand),
    > the
    > > >

    > > > Doesn't matter. But since you're mixing and matching, be sure to
    test
    > > > your memory thoroughly.
    > > > http://www.memtest.org
    > > >

    > > > -WD

    Thank's for the help Graham, I put the 512 stick in the first slot then
    followed by the 2 128's and it came up with no more error's, weried aye.

    "Graham" <gts123@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > Try a slower CAS latency - in the memory timing BIOS screen change the
    > memory settings to manual instead of 'by SPD' and set the CAS to 2.5 if
    it's
    > on 2 for example. You could try generally slacker memory timings. Also
    > whilst there you could set bank interleave to 4-way for better
    performance.
    > Warning - if try faster memory timings than your RAM can cope with you
    could
    > end up with a non-booting PC (but resetting the BIOS will get you out of
    it)
    > Graham
    > "Rap" <ABC@123.COM> wrote in message
    > > Bugger, 11 error's how come??.
    > >

    > > "Rap" <ABC@123.COM> wrote in message
    > > > Thank's, I've got that mem test on a bootable cd, i'll run the test
    > now!!.
    > > >

    > > > Ellis
    > > >
    > > > "Will Dormann" <wdormann@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote in message

    > of